Author Topic: Hot glue tricks  (Read 4520 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Hot glue tricks
« on: May 30, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
Thanks to Narceron, we have:

http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12821&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hot+glue+lightening

Narce - you mentioned vaseline & neck adapters?  I didn't see any mention of it in that joecustoms thread.  Cough up some more info, man!!

BTW - hot glue WILL stick to aluminum foil!  But Darko advocates a really cool gun/glue, ie: unplugging the gun routinely to keep the glue thick.  Once I get my desk cleared, I'm going to have another go at my Cmdr Faie hoods.  I really feel I'm heading the right way with them and hot glue.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Hot glue tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »
Justin (darko) is an incredibly talented customizer and a super nice guy to boot.

If you run into him on the boards, pick his brain, he has a ton of things in his bag of tricks.  My favorite might be his bumblebee battle armor, or his cobra la adaptations, :)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »
That much is apparant. I would like to talk to him and would like it if he were to pay us a visit, here.

Offline Darko

• Cadet
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:46:22 PM »
Genius is overselling me quite a bit. Glue-sniffer comes closer. Glad the glue-trick has fans across customizing communities, though. Never really done a lot of SW customizing myself (really, the only ones I've done are this Mara Jade and an articulation-add to Darth Talon), but Narceron let me know about this place at about the same time DocOutlands contacted me at Trigate. Some things I've learned since I first posted that tutorial:

-It does kind of matter what hotglue you use. I think, actually, that the lower-quality ones work best (they stick to the foil least). Superbonder all-temperature glue sticks (which you can get at Michaels) are what I use primarily.

-If you're having trouble making it work with foil, try either Reynold's Release (non-stick) foil, or you can use vaseline/chapstick instead.  And yeah, low, low temp is the key.

As far as the head-socket modification, I can't take credit for that one (but I forget who DID introduce me to the technique), but basically

-Coat the neck-peg of the figure you're using with vaseline/chapstick
-Take the head you want to adapt and put a small glob of hotglue in the socket
-IMMEDIATELY press the head onto the neck-peg until it's sitting where you want it (if the peg is just too wide instead of both too deep and too wide, you may need to dremel it a bit deeper prior to using this trick so you're custom won't have giraffe neck) and then move it around in all directions.
-Let the glue cool, trim any glue-flash, and you're done.

Hotglue is incredibly versatile. Since I posted my tutorials, I've seen people make energy portals and even hair out of it. It also makes good slime/ooze or lava. The last thing I did with it was awhile back, when I made this flame-stand (I was getting tired of trying to hunt down those Boba Fetts)

If I had it to do over again, I'd have used less black and more orange, but I wanted a really dirty looking flame-cloud. Basically, to do that, I took a big lump of foil molded onto a GI Joe figure stand (the new style), ran two plastic poles through the foil-lump, and then coated it with hot glue (similar to how I did in the tutorial there). To make it fit the jetpack, I pretty much did the same thing as I explained above to make heads fit, just with the jet-holes instead of a neck-socket.

I've never tried making clothing/accessories out of it, but in theory it should work. I did manage to use it as a casting medium (using some alumilite molds I had laying around). It works alright (unlike the effects, the key is to get the glue as hot as possible), but definitely doesn't capture the same detail level as resin (...and, of course, the parts are rubbery, and might get a bit tacky in super-hot weather).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I love seeing what people can come up with using these tricks.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
HEY!!  Glad ya came over!  Heh, just hide and watch - because that hot glue trick is turning out GREAT for me as I learn how to use it...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »
Darko!! Welcome to the shipyards! Yeah, your techniques with the hot glue are a very interesting trick. I am going to have to pick me up a low temp glue gun and experiment some. Consider me custom curious.
I am glad you decided to join us. Please, make yourself at home and feel free to post any other tricks that you have up your sleeve or even some pics of your custom stuff, if you wish. That one figure with the jet flame mass turned out really cool.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
Darko, welcome. Your ideas sure seem like genius to me. I am thinking this technique using your transparent blue could make some killer ice for a Hoth diorama I have planned for the future.  Have you done any snow and ice landscapes with this technique?

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:40 PM »
I'm sorry, I'll buy glue sniffer on the head socket, because that is just weird.

But the flames and lightening(and the now defunct having to buy all those emperor figures to get them) effects you make are surely genius tricks, something like houdini.

Now, if only I could stop burning myself.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
I disagree with you on the head cavity thing, Simon. If that works it would be loads quicker and easier than how i was doing it.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
I'm sorry, I'll buy glue sniffer on the head socket, because that is just weird.

But the flames and lightening(and the now defunct having to buy all those emperor figures to get them) effects you make are surely genius tricks, something like houdini.

Now, if only I could stop burning myself.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.  I was agreeing with darko on the glue sniffing thing, I mean, I'll let that pass for the head socket, as its very useful, but just weird that someone thought it up.

The lightening and flames, well, that goes so far beyond, I'll call it a genius development for the hobby.

No disrepect intended, Justin, as you may know, I oft in my own little world and not very clear, so to clarify, I was just trying to comment positively, :)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
We are each madmen in our own little ways.

Simon, off topic here, have you tried to soften any of your resin pieces with hot water yet? I have never tried it myself but as it is a form of plastic, perhaps that could be a way to reshape your Veers chest piece to work for your Snowjob figure.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »
Y'know - I understood that...prolly because I agree that the neck-ball thing HAD to have been inspired by glue-fumes!!  ;D

Please do note that I fully intend to try it out next time I need it.  LOL

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »
Y'know - I understood that...prolly because I agree that the neck-ball thing HAD to have been inspired by glue-fumes!!  ;D

Please do note that I fully intend to try it out next time I need it.  LOL

the glue fumes or the head trick, :)

LOL

I will give it a shot, clint, I'm probably going to have to sand down that torso by about 50 percent anyway, to get the softgoods to fit and the armor not to prop up the helmets.

The helmets are freaking awesome by the way.

Now, those litle air bubbles pretty much go away under primer, right?  I've had stuff before that after priming looks slick.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
so that's what you meant with the head socket thing... 

I've actually done that way back in the day when I first started out doing this.  I happened upon the idea on accident while playing with the hot glue trying to glue a floppy head on to a figure permenantly, when the glue dried it made a perfect fit for the ball and actually still was able to move and i was like... wow that's cool... lol  I never would have imagined someone else had done the same thing.

I've got a random figure I came up with the other day that I think I'm going to try the hot glue flame effects on...