Author Topic: CUSTOM SMUGGLER CONTEST - THREAD NOW CLOSED - ENTRIES TO BE IN BY THE 17TH..  (Read 26832 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: December - January 2012 CUSTOM SMUGGLER CONTEST
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »
Wow, great entries. Time to get a reminder up on the front page.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
I am drawing a blank on this one so far but I still have a bit of vacation left! You guys have some great entries so far though. I am getting inspired!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2011, 07:39:38 AM »
Excellent customs Silver Rider, I especially like the Jedi!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
Guys I am just catching up here. There are so many great entries all ready! I love the diversity a contest like this brings out,and no, I don't mean an old wooden ship. Really great work guys and Spud, did you forget to paint the lower inside part of the right leg of the Quaren?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
Guys I am just catching up here. There are so many great entries all ready! I love the diversity a contest like this brings out,and no, I don't mean an old wooden ship. Really great work guys and Spud, did you forget to paint the lower inside part of the right leg of the Quaren?

Good eye luke.  No, I didn't forget.  That's actually stock paint on those legs from a "copperhead" water-moccasin driver.  I've never noticed the lack of paint on that leg until just now!  I don't know if that's a factory mistake or if that's how the figure was always painted.   

Offline The Mandalorian

• Mando Lover
  • Lieutenant
  • The Best Mandalorian Ever
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
Since I've sent it in, here's my duo, Rahn Clussiure and R7-81.  R7 has needed to be repainted several times over the years, and Clussiure has been getting sloppier and sloppier over the years, and has had to paint the droid's name on the back to remember it.  He is a cyborg with a laser implanted in his head and a heavy P-46T plasma carbine.  The duo ride in a Star Ripper fighter called the Death's Head.  Clussiure has been around for a while, and his clothes are dirty and worn.
Call me master, cause I'm faster on fire.  I no longer have to hotwire, I'm a hunter for hire wit no plans to retire and all the sucka MCs can call me sire!  Screw the Jedi and the Sith.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »

Just finished!! Here's a video of the completed entry courtesy of Darth Daddy & Elias of "Customs for the Kid":

http://animoto.com/play/62tseJY8zvUEJI6n7HzWyQ

When Elias and I set out to create our smuggler teams that included the smuggler with their mate, we decided to make half of each others team.  I made an Ewok smuggler and he made me a monkey lizard for my mate.  On the other smuggler team, Elias created an Arkanian Offshoot and I created her Twi'lek mate.  It was a great way to put a crew together for the new ship I made and stay within the rules of the contest.

Pop the Ewok grew up a slave on Coruscant.  He was kidnapped as a baby and was kept as a pet until he got older and the family lost interest.  Old enough to set out on his own, Pop hit the streets and never looked back.  He befriended a monkey lizard with a robotic eye named Tiet Pescow and together they worked at a space ship repair shop until one day a golden opportunity presented itself.  A customer came to have his  K-37 Starstreak racing ship serviced but was struck dead by an out of control speeder.  Pop and Tiet got the vessel home while their employer was at lunch and quit their jobs later that afternoon.  They saw the ship as their ticket to riches and that night decided to become smugglers.  Pop flew the craft and his monkey lizard mechanic/mate Tiet was often found tinkering around in the engine room of the vessel.  The ship is so rare that very few spacers know the punch the spacecraft packs, but these two knew they had something special and they quickly rose to prominence in smuggling circles and throughout the crime underworld.

Pop and Tiet are currently being kept company by an Arkanian Offshoot smuggler named Daala and her Twi'lek mate, Maari  former slaves under what was left of the remnants of The Crucible.  Both had risen through the ranks of the organization and bore the tattoos of the order.  The Flames of the Crucible were a runic language usually tattooed on the members of The Crucible, an organization of slavers. The tattoos held different meanings and could be found on the arms, chest, and even face of anyone within the ranks of the Crucible.  The Flames tattooed on the face of Daala were specific to the minders and internal security forces who had, through talent or deed, become a permanent part of the Crucible. They were unique to them, whereas the general populace didn't have them, nor did the minions in specialized roles. Tattoos on the arms of members of the Crucible like the ones found on Maari  were usually a reference to military insignia, representing rank and the particular group of trainees a minder is assigned to.  Some members, such as Daala, were known to bear the Flames of the Crucible on their faces. In Daala's case the tattoos actually meant "Protector," the name that was given to her by the slaves of the Crucible. These two escaped The Crucible and made a very successful living as smugglers.  That was until recently when they had their spaceship stolen. Now they are earning some fast credits traveling with Pops providing security on the riskier ventures he has been involved with recently.  They are hoping they can earn enough to get another ship.  The four have found that they make one great team working together and serious thought is being given to keeping this team together by all.

Pop is hoping they will get a lead on the stolen spaceship so he can help his friends get their ship back.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:53:03 PM by darthdaddy »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
Hey Guys

I've just been thru and looked at all of your guys amazing designs excellent work all round and hopefully I'll have mine complete soon.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
The video is on the front page DD. Nice.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
simply amazing! I love the mini speeder bike.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
Hi All

Finally completed my entry and here are some pics of my smuggler and droid. Jules I have sent you an email buddy with my final pic.

Here is a little info about the chars.

Tel Rhyter was an exceptional X-Wing pilot with the Rebel Alliance until one day he had enough of people getting killed that were close to him so he decided to quit. So with his past behind him he decided to head to Tatooine as he remembered Luke telling him of stories about Mos Eisley and that was as any good place to start his new life.

When he finally got to Mos Eisley he started talking to the pilots to see if there was any work, he got a job on a cargo ship called the Miserable Bitch. Tel worked on the Miserable Bitch for many years and was more then happy then one day they got a job to deliver scrap metal to a near by sector and no questions were to be asked.

The Captain took the job and while enroute they were boarded by the Imperial Navy for smuggling guns, the Captain started arguing that it was all lies and was shot. The Miserable Bitch was searched and no guns were found the Imperial Navy left and offered no assistance to the shot captain.

On his death bed the captain handed the deed to the Miserable Bitch over to Tel and told him to take care of ole girl. Tel decided search the scrap metal before he dropped it off, he found an old mining droid and decided the hell with it and kept the old droid.  Once he made the drop he got to work on the droid and made new modifications such as memory input so that the droid would be better used on the ship.

After a few months Tel decided that the droid would be more suited to help him in more profitable job and took the droid to a friend that could to upgrades so Tel got the droids memory erased and with the new upgrades Tel Decided that he would call the droid Scrap which was fitting as that was where he was found.

With little credits left Tel figured that if the Empire were going to accuse hard working people for smuggling or gun running that he might as well do it,  and seeing that Scrap could now co-pilot and work on the engines of the Miserable Bitch he would be able to make a fortune. So after many years working together Tel and Scrap are very well known not only from the Bosses they work for but also the Empire.

Recipe

Tel Rhyter - was made using the lower legs of a TLC Young Indy the Upper body and head of a TOD Indy and Mola Ram. The gloves are from a 2011 AT-ST pilot. The jacket is from a KOTCS Mutt and the ear piece is from a SW Rebel soldier.

The belt is from a Hasbro Blade figure and the holster is from a 2011 Bespin Luke. The overalls were done by using tissue paper and watered down PVA glue to get the effect you see in the pics. Once done the figure was painted and weathered using Vallejo and GW paints.

Scrap - I got the idea for Scrap from an old dio I did called ROBOT WARS  C-A-R'S (Combat-Assault-Robots). I had a number of left over parts in the bits box he was a mixture of SW figures and Games Workshop's Imperial sentinal, he was painted and weathered using Vallejo and GW paints.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:09:07 AM by hemble »

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »
Now those two are some fine looking smugglers! Something makes me feel like Tel needs a cigar... Amazing job!

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24:16 AM »
Wow, Ron.  Your smuggler team is super impressive.  So funny that we used the same jacket on our smugglers.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:47 AM »
That is a great looking entry Ron! I love the tissue paper effect over the original figure and that droid is awesome! Very well done my friend!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:38 AM »
WOOOOWWW! Those customs are ex...eptional!!!!  What an amazing story to go with them as well.

I love the detailing on both the figure and the droid, especially the painting on Tel's head and the metal work on the droid, the mottled effect is something I've not seen before (tips please).

Man, you are seriously talented!