Author Topic: Posting Pictures  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Posting Pictures
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:48:23 AM »
I have been asked how to post pictures again and  thought we had a tutorial somewhere, but couldn't find it so I am creating a new one. I would also love it if established Yarders could share their picture loading thoughts too. Ok, here goes the how too:

There are two ways to post pictures here in a message.

The first way is to use a free picture uploading service like www.imgur.com where they will have an upload tool and once you upload your pic they will give you a series of internet codes you can use in various ways. This forum uses BBC Code so you will need the code that starts with this series [ img] and then the web address [/ img] and just copy and paste that code into your types forum message and his post. Imgur will automatically generate this and allow you to select it. From there where you type your reply or when you start a new post you just insert the picture where you want it.

The other way to load pics directly from your computer is to hit additional options (located on the lower left of a message reply or new topic creation) and it will give you the opportunity to browse for your picture. You can upload four pics at a time using this method only though.

Personally I like using the free photo hosting service, but remember the free photo hosting service could one day not be free (like photobucket many of us used for years) so if you use the attachment option it will always be saved. Still, using that option will require someone to click your picture to enlarge it while the photo hosting service will give you the largest pic possible for the forum settings (I set it quite large). There are pros and cons for each method and it is really your preference.

I hope this helps and once again Yarders if you see any gaps be sure to post them here and I hope it helps you post your pics.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:37:04 AM by Tamer »

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
Re: Posting Pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Those re exactly the 2 ways tamer, excellent tutorial, also for all the yarders you have to remind if you post them directly from here not past the maximum size, cause normally if you take them with a digital camera or cellphones with a big pixel size its gonna  be to big, sometimes happen, im chosing photobucket now for that exact reason.

nice job tamer!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
I too use photobucket - in fact with their app I can take a photo, upload it and post it on the forum all on my iPhone! :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
I too use photobucket - in fact with their app I can take a photo, upload it and post it on the forum all on my iPhone! :D

I have heard that is one sweet app.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
I may have to look into that app.

Offline Mando Assasin

• Mando Assasin for hire
  • Admiral
  • Some people just wanna watch the world burn
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/83627924@N02/
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:29 AM »
thanks tamer.
My ebay  http://www.ebay.com/usr/zacha-mann?_trksid=p2047675.l2559   My collection and some new customs are there. Check it out

[url=http://www.flickr.com/phot

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:38:35 AM »
thanks tamer.

Not a problem. I remember learning how to post pictures and just had to figure it out myself. It was a pain. I think those of us who know sometimes forget how we felt when we were first learning to post pictures. If you have any further problems feel free to pm me and we will get your pics up and running.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Here is a good site on how to resize an image in an smf forum using bbc code:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread127319/pg1

Offline jaq renaldi

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
I'm a new guy who hasn't figured out how to put up any pictures yet. I'm able to size my pictures on my computer no problem.
My question is not just how but where exactly do I post them. Is it a new post? A reply? Do they get approved first?
Do I put them on my profile?
I would be so embarrassed if I uploaded a picture in the wrong place (someone's spot). I don't want to step on anybodies toes!
For instance, I saw the "three favorite customs of last year", which is something I'm ready to share. I've got my pics ready and everything.
Thank you Tamer (and everybody) for being understanding in this matter. I'm the guy that wrote to you on the Yards facebook page because I couldn't figure out how to do it here.  :P
Sincerely,
_jaq_renaldi (New Republic Toys)
P.S. I just found out that this is an 120 day old post/topic and it recommends me to start a new topic. Ok, here it goes.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
If you're looking to post in another topic, like the "3 Favorite Customs" thread, just click reply, and either upload using the "Additional Options" tab at the bottom left of your reply, or by inserting the BBC code if you use Photoshop or Flickr.  The BBC code will begin with [ IMG] and have a URL after it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
I had noticed since we made the latest version of the site, myself and some other members had experienced issues with the site spinning our pictures while uploading from a photo host website or by adding attachments.

I discovered through experimentation that the site tended to spin all pictures to a widescreen Mode format as in, the longest side of the shot would always be spun to run side to side in the post.
As of yet we haven't figured out why it does this but by messing around I found a few ways around it
The only exception I've seen to the automatic spin of the shot when Le uploadingto the site is when adding an attachment from your PC. It  seems like it doesn't matter which way you have it spun

If uploading to a photo hosting website resize the picture to make it Square or longer on the side that you want to be upright

If adding pictures from your phone as an attachment either make them Square before you attach or always remember to turn your phone sideways before taking the shot
That way the long side will be where you want it

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:52:30 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 02:18:46 AM »
Picture test. Picture test.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »
Trying out the picture system. All systems green. Just checking.

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 02:26:01 AM »
Greetings!

Unfortunately, it looks like Photobucket just updated their Terms of Service as of 6/28/17 to disallow 3rd party hosting, in the absence of payment of $399 per year. (!)

I have not yet tested this myself, however, lots of pics from recent posts on other forums are now inaccessible to me.  Curiously, slightly older pics that I have posted still seem to be available.  Are other people having people having a similar experience?  Uploading photos directly, or using an alternative 3rd party platform?  Thanks!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 04:40:41 AM »
yeah, photobucket really dropped the ball this week. I use

http://www.imgur.com

for my own photo hosting needs. Its free. They load quicker and the codes are smaller which means quicker copy and paste.