Author Topic: YakFace: Cast 1:18th melted Vader Helmet 4/14/16 page24  (Read 43902 times)

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Re: YakFace is now doing custom Star Wars figures!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
that is an awesome rancor,looking more like it should in RoTJ,I have TFU too,and have been thinking of making a custom from it,but since i have that huge jabba rancor already,i may go with a different color scheme,but taking on a project that size takes time and commitment,and i have niether lol,but yours is awesome,and good job on the paint work,also your heading in the right direction with the arm cuff.

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
that is an awesome rancor,looking more like it should in RoTJ,I have TFU too,and have been thinking of making a custom from it,but since i have that huge jabba rancor already,i may go with a different color scheme,but taking on a project that size takes time and commitment,and i have niether lol,but yours is awesome,and good job on the paint work,also your heading in the right direction with the arm cuff.

Yeah this project has taken me alot of time to get right, there was all kinds of research through books and watching the Rancor battle about 800 times and that was just the start. I think that I have poured about 40 hours of sculpting time and 20 hours of painting so far into this guy. The end result should be awesome but I totally get your point of not having time for this size custom. I really have to "make" time for it and try to squeeze it in when ever I can, I take it to work and use my lunch break to paint/sculpt LOL.

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »
Stunning piece!!  :)

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 03:12:30 AM »
Excellent movie rancor looks like a puppet from the film. Welcome to the Yards.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
Very nice and welcome to the Yards.

I loved to hear that you are going to do more beasties. I can see your attention to detail is phenomenal as is reflected by that arm shackle.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
I have been wanting to do a custom rancor for a LONG LONG time but can't ever find one cheap enough that I'd feel comfortable chopping up!

I'd love to see a big "bull rancor" custom done with giant tusks and horns growing all over it... it's something I saw in the concept art from TFU and fell in love with.

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »
I have been wanting to do a custom rancor for a LONG LONG time but can't ever find one cheap enough that I'd feel comfortable chopping up!

I'd love to see a big "bull rancor" custom done with giant tusks and horns growing all over it... it's something I saw in the concept art from TFU and fell in love with.

Yeah it is not an easy toy to get for cheap, I had to really think about cutting mine up before I did it. Also the Bull Rancor could be really cool if you just went all out on it, I think that would be a huge project but the end result would be sweeeeet.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
That is some beautiful work!:) Looks like one of the props they used!!!

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »

Yeah this project has taken me alot of time to get right, there was all kinds of research through books and watching the Rancor battle about 800 times and that was just the start. I think that I have poured about 40 hours of sculpting time and 20 hours of painting so far into this guy. The end result should be awesome but I totally get your point of not having time for this size custom. I really have to "make" time for it and try to squeeze it in when ever I can, I take it to work and use my lunch break to paint/sculpt LOL.
no kidding,you take it to work,that's awesome,my co-workers would look at me and be like"dude,WTH are you doing?"lol.I would definitly need someones help with it,It is a huge project,and I get easily distracted,and want to move on to something else in the middle of doing something like that,but with your pics as insperation it may push me to get started since I am running low on figure fodder,it may be time to do just that.I have seen RoTJ like 800 times just cause I love it(no lie  ;) ).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:40:25 PM by JediMindtrix »

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
So I have a bunch of updates for you guys today, I finished my Rancor and I'm pretty darn happy with the results. 0/

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
More pics to enjoy!

Offline YakFace

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
And still more pics.... ;D

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 01:12:28 PM »
O-M-G  :o This is a work of art! It's a pity H doesn't give us this quality... Though that's why customizing was invented!

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »
Looks perfect! Excellent job on the Rancor.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
Yak, this is a jaw dropper! You have dona an amazing job transforming this into the RPTJ Rancor. Great sculpting on that shackle then followed but excellent paint work on the entire piece. I would love to have him sitting in my Rancor pit! I hope you don't mind me pointing out one small thing, the sculpted slobber just doesn't work. It is stiff and stationary so it looks like a stick is piercing his gums. You should use some hot glue on his lower gums then make a string of glue that thickness to his finger with it positioned close to the head. When it dries in a few seconds you will have the perfect slobber string after you pull it off the finger. Again, great work this thing is awesome!