Author Topic: old Restoration topic  (Read 79612 times)

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Re: Wookie-Balls Vintage Kenner Restoration Project
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 04:27:30 AM »
Hey Clint & Luke

Glad you guys like the project. I figure that being upfront re restoration is the main thing - and these are not destined to appear on the market. I just wanted to give a little back to the toys that entertained me for HOURS as a kid!!

@ Luke - yes the cards are backed too (you can also see the annotation I made re reproduction pieces.) Here's an Empire cardback

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 04:59:23 AM »
I've also managed to get a beat up Imperial Troop Transporter to use as a donor for my (even more) beat up one from 79! I plan to crew it with six restored vintage Stormies, a Death Squad Commander and an Imperial Commander!! :D

I've already restored a near junk X-Wing and Tie Interceptor already...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:37 AM »
Wow, what I wouldn't give to have a few of the vintage figures I have done up this way. I think you are just doing an oustanding job and they look so nice recarded. Expect to see me pick some of these to feature from time to time.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 02:47:54 AM »

Here's my original Ben Kenobi - this figure was pretty bare when I dug him out of storage. The paint on his hands needed retouching.

The cape is a reproduction (and a pretty lame one) however I do now have a original one with a slight rip that I may use if I decide to recard him again!

The saber is another nicely moulded blue plastic reproduction - I wasn't keen on the painted ones.

The 12 back card, footer and bubble are all reproduction.

This is the 'white hair' version of this figure.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 03:02:05 AM »

My X-Wing Luke is currently piloting his restored fighter in the Den! He was pretty worn and I bought this replacement from a well known auction site 

He needed some minor black and white paint work.

The blaster is one of my originals. The 21 back card, bubble and footer and all reproduction pieces.

Again I'm pretty happy with this one...

Tamer, CH, Luke Spry - I'm glad that some of you are enjoying this project too. I've just bought an uncirculated POTF Han Carbonite coin to restore one of the last figures that I ever bought, so look out for him in the future!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 03:09:54 AM »
Just awesome. Expect to see one of these new ones on the fp sometime today.

Spookymufu

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:57 AM »
you know...no matter what TVC figure Hasbro comes out with, nothing reminds me of my childhood star wars days more then the old (vintage) figures.....you have brought back memories of playing star wars in the front yard with my tie fighter zooming around the deathstar (our big tree) and pretending the back yard was Tatooine and searching for the droids....keep em up

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
Great stuff here!  Are you printing the cards yourself?  If so I'd be curious to know what kind of card stock you're using?  Printer?  Image sources?

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
Hey Spooky and BR - glad to have you on board! I'm also glad that your enjoying the memories that seeing these restored figures brings back - the same happened to me when I had completed the first couple!

BR I don't produce the cards/bubbles/replacement weapons myself - they are out there to buy :D

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 01:23:30 AM »

This Chewie figure is my original toy - bought in 1979 in Salisbury, England. The same year that I got my Falcon for Christmas :D

He needed paint touch ups to his nose, teeth and bandoleer. The Bow Caster is reproduction as are the card, footer and bubble. More rebels to follow!!

WB out...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
Wow, I am realy liking this project. It is so great to see momc figures on momc cards and then remember they are vintage. Its taking me back a few years, which is what I need right now. Thanks for sharing these with us. Back on the front page.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »

As I've said before, most of my original Luke figures are pretty worn , so this Farm Boy Luke is one that I purchased from the net.

He needed some paint touch ups on his hair and legs and the tip of his saber was missing. I replaced the saber with a yellow moulded plastic reproduction.

The 12 Back card, bubble and footer are all reproduction as well.

This is the "Yellow Hair" common variant - the same as my original figure, both dark hair and orange hair versions also exist!

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 11:44:31 PM »
Thanks again Shawn  ;D

I've just ordered the parts to restore my POTF Han Carbonite, A-wing Pilot and Luke Stormtrooper. All with vintage coins!

Also by the end of November I hope to have also restored all my ESB Bounty Hunters too!!

All the best,

Ray

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

Here's a piece that I'm proud of! Leia was one of my first figures and sadly she didn't make it through the years!

I bought this Leia cheaply as she was slightly yellowed, had no accessories and had paint rubs to her hands. However it appeared that her head was in great condition.

I bleached her in a chemical bath, touched up the paintwork on her hands and added a reproduction cape! Even the blaster had to be resprayed the correct colour!!

Obviously the bubble, card and footer are also reproduction. 

I love the way this figure looks now that she has been restored...hope you do too!

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »
Looks great.  What chemical(s) are you using for the bleaching process?  Concentrated Hydrogen peroxide?