Kenner / Hasbro Collecting > Vintage

old Restoration topic

(1/79) > >>

Wookie-Balls:
Hi all!

I've started this thread to document my ongoing project to restore and recard my Vintage Kenner Star Wars figures.

Now this project will be unpopular with some Vintage Collectors. Why? Well, a lot of them hate figures having 'paint touch ups,' reproduction weapons are despised by a large number and as for repro cards? They might as well be spawned by the devil himself!!

The problem is a lot of unscrupulous folk are restoring and recarding figures and selling them on various sites claiming that they are original toys. This is without a doubt dishonest, wrong and criminal.

Now here's my viewpoint... These are my figures from my childhood (bar a few exceptions.) These figures are not for sale (and never will be.) The cards are marked on the rear as repros (as are weapons where applicable!)

These toys gave me a lot of enjoyment as a child - and I felt a little sad when I rediscovered them somewhat battered and dusty in my garage.

I decided to spruce them up - fixing paint rubs where appropriate. Then I decided to mount a few of them on reproduction cards - this then became a quest to restore all my vintage figures and replacing the ones that were beyond repair! Why the cards? Well I had a fair bit of wall space in my den and my vintage ships are, ahem, crewed by my modern figures. So the reproduction cards doubled as a nice wall mounting scheme!

Each figure that I restore will be posted individually on here to document the figure, paint restoration (if any,)  weapon origin and carding.

As I said before these figures will never be for sale - however if the worst were to happen and I was burgled then at least each item will be documented here!

Any questions please ask away. One last point of note- I am not a producer of repro weapons or cards/bubbles. Nor do I sell any of them.

Thanks for looking!!

Ray

Wookie-Balls:

This Biker Scout belonged to me as a child. I was given him for Christmas as a child (whilst living in Australia.) 

Restoration work includes a chemical bath to restore the yellowed white armour and some black touch ups.

The ROTJ Kenner card, bubble and blaster are all reproduction. Note this figure does not have an 'insert tray' which the original would have done. The Scout is the common variant - not the 'short mouth' version.

Wookie-Balls:

I bought this Bespin Luke in a job lot of Lukes. As he was my favourite character all of my Luke figures are pretty battered!! I have cleaned them up but they are not of a standard worth recarding.

This figure has had some minor black touch ups to the belt and saber. The blaster is original vintage. The Kenner ESB card, bubble, footer and saber are reproduction. The saber is moulded in yellow plastic as opposed to painted as per some repros.

The figure is the dark hair variant - the same as I owned as a child.

Wookie-Balls:

I never owned an AT-AT Commander as a child - strange as I did have the AT-AT and Driver!!

This figure has no paint restoration work. The blaster is genuine, from my own collection. The ESB Kennner card, bubble and footer are all reproduction.  

I believe that this figure came with a pale or fleshy face. This is the latter version.

Tamer:
Wow, I love that AT-AT Commander, it looks factory case fresh as do the others.

Daggone, I used to have a friend named Trooper Larry who did some neat recarding, but this looks just as sweet to me.

I have some original figures I would love to see recarded too. I might just have to drop you a pm.

On the front page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version