Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 134983 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Re: Spuda's customs Closing up shop.
« Reply #645 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:27 AM »
Following you on Facebook, you're not gone and surely not forgotten, buddy.
I'm sure, however, that a talented customizer like you will eventually return stronger and better than ever.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spuda's customs Closing up shop.
« Reply #646 on: November 23, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
Getting back in the saddle...  With my life turned upside down I kept asking myself why keep trying to change for someone who no longer cares?  Why should I feel ashamed of a hobby that makes me happier than she ever could understand?  Why should I feel guilty about buying toys as a 27 year old, when I can afford it now more than I ever could?

So in a big "F-U" to the past, I went out and bought 3 concept armor boba fett's from walgreens...  new paints, new brushes, new exacto knife blades and went to work.

This is what I've got so far:

The sculpting isn't perfect... and after looking at the photos I think I need to go back and touch up a few places on both paint wise.   I still need to build the vibro-staff rifle for the animated debut fett and the backpack for the McQuarrie concept fett.   I opted not to do the calf armor on McQuarrie fett due to my sculpy going bad on me and starting to harden before I got to them...  I kind of like it without it so I don't think I'll mess with it.  So it's kind of a blend between the concepts.  The helmet is also not perfect, but it captures the essence of the concept and that's good enough for me.

As far as I know, no one except for the great Silloff has done a McQuarrie fett in the 6 inch size.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spuda's customs back in the saddle
« Reply #647 on: November 23, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
Your wAlgreens must be stocked.
I like em both.
Passion for this hobby can't be bad if you are this good at it, spuda.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #648 on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
Well, take it from a 45-year old professional who buys toys, too: a creative hobby can't be a bad thing.
I'm glad to see you back in the saddle, buddy!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #649 on: November 23, 2014, 11:48:51 PM »
Good to see you back spud and great figures mate.

Ron

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #650 on: November 24, 2014, 05:16:12 AM »
Well, take it from a 45-year old professional who buys toys, too: a creative hobby can't be a bad thing.
I'm glad to see you back in the saddle, buddy!

Thanks!  I have many creative hobbies and this one is my favorite of them all.  Some people can't see past the social stigma of the medium being toys...

Thanks clonehead!  I appreciate the praise.  I'm glad you like these two. 

Offline Bronxstalker

• Commander
    • Bronxstalkers Facebook page
« Reply #651 on: November 24, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
Amen brother, good to see you're not giving up on the hobby.

I just hit 43 last week, and my wife is extremely supportive of my hobby.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #652 on: November 24, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
Amen brother, good to see you're not giving up on the hobby.

I just hit 43 last week, and my wife is extremely supportive of my hobby.

Awesome!  There are some good women out there! 

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #653 on: November 24, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
Great to see you posting more Devin! Loving that Animated Fett! As you said all he need is that staff. Good job on creating that concept Fett! That armor and helmet is no easy task. Well done man.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #654 on: November 26, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
I got in here today real quick as my power is going out (went out again as I was writing this!) and after a few days not logging in this brought a smile to my face. Trust me bud, there is someone out there who will support you whether they think this is art or whatever (I should know).

Now off to get this one on the front page. One of what I am sure will be many more front page updates as your artwork just continually evolves for the better.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #655 on: November 26, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
Very nice job ! i agree with  Commander_Kurgan  its not a bad thing plus this hobby can be very therapeutic its a good way to escape the stress from everyday life !

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #656 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Hey Spuda,
Thanks for the YouTube video on how to mix the Joe upper legs with star wars lower legs. I used that technique for a Hoth Han Solo and it worked like a charm!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #657 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »
Hey Spuda,
Thanks for the YouTube video on how to mix the Joe upper legs with star wars lower legs. I used that technique for a Hoth Han Solo and it worked like a charm!

Awesome.  That's why I posted them!  Always nice to know that my work has inspired others.  Have you posted it here?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #658 on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
This is my contest entry for the 6inch figure contest.  I didn't want to clog up the contest thread with all my extra photos but I still wanted yall to see them (there are even more posted to my facebook page, so follow the link in my signature).

The figure wasn't that hard to do.  The most difficult part was sculpting the details for the helmet.  I didn't get them 100% accurate (the jawline of the helmet is too wide I think) but I think it's good enough.  Had I thought about it before paining I also should have sanded it lightly with fine grit to take some of the exacto blade marks off the sculpt....  oh well.

The belt is scratch built using faux leather strips and wire for the buckle and accents.  The bomb is a random piece of fodder painted silver.

The thing I think I might be most proud of in this build is his mortar/rocket launcher.  I used the small 1:18th scale figure's for a reference and built this one out of 2 super glue caps, a gi-joe BAMF rocket launcher missile, and styrene for the handles. 

And of course the at-rt itself is the scratch built walker I did many months ago.

And if anyone is interested, here is my light box set up that I made a while back.  It does wonders for taking good images!  I wish it was slightly bigger though, as this was a tight bunch to get into there....

Well,  Hope yall like it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Spuda's customs (At-rt driver, contest entry, pg 44)
« Reply #659 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »
Devin I really like it, what a great compliment to your scratch built AT-RT too. You should be well pleased with this one. Off to share.