Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 134978 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Spuda's customs (p34, finished Pre Vizsla)
« Reply #510 on: March 30, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
I gotta credit you with building that rocket pack. Looks a lot better than anything I could have come up with. Hard to believe that's just some torn up pens. Back to the front page.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spuda's customs (p34, finished Pre Vizsla)
« Reply #511 on: March 30, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
thanks tamer.  I appreciate the compliments!   I'm sure given enough motivation you could've figured out how to build something to make due!  The secret is to learn how to see things as they were never meant to be seen...  See potential in scraps that you would normally throw away...  make something out of nothing!

Which is kind of what I've gone and done with my next project....
(expect a lot from me this week if I'm still stuck off work...)

I had an extra one of these comic mongers (1:18th scale):

(not my image, stolen from the interwebs)

I got to looking at the pack in build a figure in the new captain america 6" figures.... the mandroid:

(more references for the mandroid BAF: http://www.marvellegends.net/Figures/InfiniteCaptainAmerica/Mandroid_9.htm)

and I thought... hmmm.... those look very similar.  I bet I could make that mandroid in the 1:18th scale...

So, here's some WIP shots:
Pop the torso:

Boil-n-pop everything!  I thought I'd try to re-paint the entire figure with a primer base coat of black to reduce paint rub...  ultimately it was more trouble that it was worth.

a new head and a frame for the chest armor:

sculpted chest armor:

sculpted head:

base coat of black, everything put back together (notice the custom scratch built bladed weapon...)

and a spray paint coating of "nickel" to finish off the base coats.... 

after re-evaluating the guns I think I'm going to rebuilt the dual mini-guns with smaller parts.  The big rocket launching ones are just too big.  they look out of place. 

Well, what do you guys think?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spuda's customs (p34 Vizsla, p35 mandroid)
« Reply #512 on: March 31, 2014, 03:04:54 AM »
Wow, you are getting good with this sculpting thing. Off to share your latest.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #513 on: March 31, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
Your 6 inch Pre Vizsla looks fantastic.
The jetback is the highlight of the figure and pretty close to the original.
Worth destroying a boba fett....? --> definitely yes

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #514 on: March 31, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »
Your 6 inch Pre Vizsla looks fantastic.
The jetback is the highlight of the figure and pretty close to the original.
Worth destroying a boba fett....? --> definitely yes

Thanks!  I had been wanting to go back and revisit some of the other jet-pack styles seen in the TCW episodes with the mandos.  There were several interesting variations.  I never could get started on them though.  The 1:18th scale is so much smaller I found it harder to scratch build accurate versions of the packs...  I never even made this pack for my 1:18th scale vizsla figure! 
I'm glad you liked it, I'm really enjoying working in the 6" scale of figures... the greater level of detail is limitless... 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #515 on: March 31, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
finished mandroid:

With the comic monger which was the base for this custom:

I decided to keep the rocket launching mini guns.  I think it adds a great feature, and uses those parts for something when I normally wouldn't use them!

I love the way that nickel spray paint came out, especially in photos with the flash:

beating up iron man:

well, what do you guys think?  Pull it off ok in the 1:18th scale?   

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #516 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
Devin, I think you did a great job sculpting and scratch building this. Off to the front page again. You seem to be there each day lately it seems.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #517 on: April 01, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
Thanks tamer.  To comment on your front page comments:  I know it seems like I do fast work, completing these relatively quickly... in reality I spent several hours on the mandroid.  And I had to wait over-night while the sculpy hardened before I could finish it completely.  Most of the time though, when I sit down to work on a project, I try to complete it in as quick a time as possible.  Only working on one project at a time.  That way stuff doesn't get pushed to the side and I feel accomplished by getting it finished!  That and it bugs me when I haven't finished something.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #518 on: April 02, 2014, 02:09:33 AM »
Devin, my comments I meant were a compliment about how quickly you were able to accomplish this. I thought it was pretty cool you were able to accomplish all this so quickly.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #519 on: April 08, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
well.... sometimes it takes going to the movies to figure out what to do with some of that fodder you've had laying around for forever...

Went to see Captain America: the winter soldier.  AWESOME btw.  Definitely go see it.  (Although I think it should have been named something different since the winter soldier had very little to do with the main story plot...  should have saved that title for a future movie which FOCUSES on that character!)  anyways... 

The character that I think really shone in the movie?  FALCON.  Awesome!  very good reimagining of a classic avenger. no more stupid red spandex and glowing wings...  the advanced military paragliding suit!?  AWESOME. 

So as I was watching the movie I was thinking about the parts I have sitting around...  I didn't have to buy anything for this figure, he is all GI-Joe parts with a scratch built backpack and wings....  More on the wings after the photos!

Mind you, these are WIP photos.  The final paintwork is yet to be done... these are proof of concepts mainly for the parts and wing construction:

So the wings are custom digitized versions of a screen grab from the movie...  I took an image that showed the back of only one wing, digitally "traced" it in GIMP, coppied the colors best I could and then mirrored it.  Then printed them out on card stock twice each and glued them together for a static set.

Here is the digital rendering of the wings if anyone else wants to print their own out and use them:

The set with articulation was done by carefully cutting apart the templates, gluing them to card stock, and then using paper "hinges" to articulate 2 points on each wing.  It's not amazing... and it's not pretty if you look at it up close, but it does offer the desired effect. 

Again, I'm not finished painting this figure.  He'll eventually be painted up with the camo pants and the jet pack will have better details.  He will also have a second set of arms that can be swapped out for his long sleeved outfit from the movie. 

what do you guys think?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spuda's customs (p35, MOVIE FALCON WIP)
« Reply #520 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:54 AM »
What a cool idea on those wings Devin. Off to share.

Offline pluv

• Cadet
« Reply #521 on: April 09, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
The Spectre got me to start lurking here, but your Falcon custom and the articulated wings finally got me to register. This figure awesome. So much better than what came out in the movie line. Are you going to redo the wings in styrene now that you know the concept works?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #522 on: April 09, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
Holy cow, man!  It never occurred to me that the glider-wearing dude was Falcon!  Looking good!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »
The Spectre got me to start lurking here, but your Falcon custom and the articulated wings finally got me to register. This figure awesome. So much better than what came out in the movie line. Are you going to redo the wings in styrene now that you know the concept works?

Hey Pluv, Glad I got you to come out from lurking!  I was VERY unimpressed by the movie line figure's images I could find online.  I knew that it'd be horrible... that it probably wasn't worth even buying for the head sculpt! 

I don't know if I will reconstruct the wings in styrene or not to be honest.  I might try to reconstruct them with some of the "for sale sign" plastic sheet that I have.  Unfortunately I'm not sure how I would articulate them.  I was thinking originally that I'd use needles or pins as the pivot joints...  Not sure.  I'll keep experimenting. 

For now, I'm going to focus on painting the figure and finishing up the details on him.  Besides, as a static figure the printed cut outs look pretty decent! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #524 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:24 AM »
I love the concept of this. I could easily see you putting him in a flying pose with the wings outstretched taking on some Hydra SHIELD Agents and making a great dio. I wonder if they make any AF bases that would let you pose a figure in a flying pose. One would think with all the flying action figure characters that have been made that something like this would exist.