Author Topic: spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions  (Read 135075 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
spudafett: p56: Three new Boba Fetts!! comic versions
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
So I figured my old thread is burried so far in the list that I should just start a new one.

I was so inspired by all the female mandos from the previous contest that I wanted to do the figure that I REALLY wanted make for this contest... 
I had purchased two marvel universe kitty figures while I was out west and I wanted to use those as base figures for female mandalorian customs.  To do this I'd need to sculpt on the armor over the figure and I was trying to figure out how to do this so I did a little research into female mandalorian costumes.

Then of course I came across the famous "babe-a-fett"...

I was worried mostly about trying to sculpt the stomach armor onto the kitty figures because the breasts of the figure would then not be able to move against the sculpted armor...

so the way that "babe-a-fett's" armor is created acted as the perfect solution...

But the female version of boba has been done over and over so I'm going to take it a different route and "starbuck" jango instead.

so here was my preliminary figure before any sculpting:

So what I started out doing was popping the chest of the kitty figure and replacing the arms with the arms from a "pilot scarlett" figure.  I cut the arms short below the elbow and glued on two jodo kast fore-arms and trimmed off their un-articulated hands.  I then added the hands from a random joe figure to get the swivel wrist joint. 

I replaced the legs of the kitty figure with the legs from a female joe figure (don't remember which one)...

then I sculpted over the chest of the kitty torso, and the new legs to add jango-like armor

so once the sculpy hardens and is paintable i'll repaint the entire figure to match jango... sculpt new hair on the headsculpt that I'll be using and repaint it...  add the belt and holsters and it should be done in a few days...

what do yall think so far?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 08:31:07 AM by spudafett »

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
Re: Spuda's BACK! new customs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
looking good so far!

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
Sorry,I was too distracted by that picture of the Babe-A-Fett.  :o  j/k,looks great,and your heading in the right direction as far as i can tell.can't wait to see the end result.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
Good to see you breaking back into the customizing Devin. This new one is gonna be good.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
Nice to see you back in the game, Devin.  Shawn and I met her at CV last year, and that's not even her most impressive costume!  I need to try and find the images of her steampunk costume, it was pretty stellar.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
I can see that it's not taking you any time at all to get warmed up again, devin.
Looking nice so far, buddy. I actually have a fem mando project in the beginning stages but mando swamped I don't know when I will get to it.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:29:44 PM »
did a little more work on her today... started painting and such.  I'm a little disapointed in my painting skills... the fine details just aren't up to par with my idea of what I should be able to do...

here lately my hands have gotten VERY shakey and I'm not sure what is the cause of it... whatever the cause it's making painting incredibly dificult.

but here's what I've gotten to today:

I'm not too happy with the blue jumpsuit color either... it is just too dark for my tastes... but I can never figure out exactly what color jango's jump suit is supposed to be... hasbro has made it so many different colors! 

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
Very Cool! ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
Looks pretty good to me Devin. I kinda think you are being too hard on yourself.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »
well, I'm letting the final layers of paint dry on this figure before I photograph it...

I'm definately back to my old ways, this custom has already given me a razor blade cut!  right in the center of my left index finger. 

I've also noticed some bad flaws in the sculpting... the left breast plate on the figure is larger and thicker than the other... giving her a... lopsided.. look from certain angles.  you don't notice it strait on, but from the side or top you definately can tell something is off...

oh well, the sculpy is hardened and painted now, too late to try and fix it...

thanks to everyone for the welcoming back... i wish I could go through everything I've missed but the forum's got so many members now there is NO WAY i can catch up on 4 months of missed posts!  I've gone through the archived front pages so I hope I've hit the main threads...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:19:56 AM »
I thought yall might enjoy a photo of the reason why it took me so long to get back into customizing after getting home....

I walked into my room to find my entire work table in shambles... this is the point to which I "organized" things to so that I could have SOME kind of work space... I'm still trying to figure out where all my stuff has disapeared to!

But here is the main attraction, I finished "Janga Fett" (I figured that sounded a little better than Babe-o... lol)

I'm not 100% happy with it... I know I could've done better... but for being 4 months out of practice I think I just tried to tackle too much at once on this one and wound up rushing it.  I had one of the sculpted armor bits on the lower leg pop off while I was posing her and had to glue it back on...  and there's several places in the paint where I rushed and got my fingerprints in it...  so there's things that, if I do this over again, should be fixed...

but I'll probably just be lazy and say this is good enough for me! lol.

so what do you all think?

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
Re: Spuda's BACK! (finished: Janga Fett)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 12:56:34 AM »
I think that she's great!! Best girly Mando that I've seen - love that subtle sculpting. Great choice of head sculpt too :D

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
Welcome back Spud! Good to see you getting the creative juices flowing again!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
Spud, it's like having an old family member rise from the dead. I am glad to see you back.
I notice that while sculpting with resin, sometimes I don't notice imperfections until after that first coat of paint goes on. Often times, I will brush on a primer coat, slice or sand any imperfections that I see, and then continue painting.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
Very Cool!  ;D