Author Topic: C130IM's Vehicles - 1:18 Militia Guntruck (Occupied US, GA Unit)WIP, 12 Apr 15  (Read 48721 times)

Offline C130IM

• C130IM Customs
  • Ensign
Thanks guys!! I purchased 3 kits from a Raymond Perez. I made modifications to the kit some obvious and not. Most notable the wheel height which -funny enough- has caused a little 'debate'. I explained to everyone on FB, the kit producer, and think forums that I was increasing the wheel height to be more in line with modern APC's.  And, adapted to my verse. 

I was thinking if changing the turret design. Technically, I don't have to. Coolest part was news about a month or two ago that the US Navy deploying first ship based laser weapon on one of their destroyers. Then the talk that fighter jets can be equipped with a laser weapon!! Not visible beam now. It  adds some legitimacy of leaving the turret/barrels as is :). And fits into the later part of my verse. An advanced military unit employs new technology that allows US forces to fight with on a little level playing field.
Chad

Sci-fi/military Scratchbuilder & Customizer of 1/18 Vehicles and Figures.  Always looking to learn and improve skills!

http://Http://Facebook.com/C130IM

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
Thanks for the info! But $300 each APC!!! I think I will stick to scratch build! Lol!

Offline C130IM

• C130IM Customs
  • Ensign
Yeah, $300 seems high. But take into account design, material costs (resin/mold/machine), limited production,, availability of such a kit in the market, then add in whatever profit he gets; the price is reasonable. Granted, most who buy these type kits are collectors.  I bought my kits over period of about a year.  Then another this month for a custom project.  There is another kit maker for the APC but he charges close to £700 ($1,083) per kit! These are the only two producers I know of. 
Chad

Sci-fi/military Scratchbuilder & Customizer of 1/18 Vehicles and Figures.  Always looking to learn and improve skills!

Offline ShamanLogRay

• Colonel
  • Greetings from the UK! :)
I understand what you are saying and I guess its all down to what you can afford, personally I couldnt justify that sort of cost, but if I could, I would probably try to build a life size 1:1 version! LOL! ;)

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
Great looking APC C130M!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

Offline C130IM

• C130IM Customs
  • Ensign
C130IM's Vehicles - Aliens USCM APC (modified), Complete 6 Jul 13
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
1:20 "Aliens" USCM APC Resin Kit
Name changed: 1:18 US Army AR-TAV, M588 APC.

Customized this model kit to adapt to storyline. The M588 falls into class of advanced technology weapon systems. Supplied to US Army and Marines.

Development, integration and production of advanced weapon systems were conducted at Natick and Tobyhanna. Production facilities and new weapon systems were hidden in the rugged Appalachians spanning from Pennsylvania north to parts of New York.

The idea of using Air taxis to convert to APC's was actually feasible. Improved laser weapom technology derived from the Navy and Air Force prior to the invasion of Earth was finally advanced enough to set atop an armored vehicle. The laser cannon fired a high energy pulse laser beam. Assembly, modification and integration of new technology had relative short leadtime. Moving the vehicles was more tedious task to avoid detection once they left the protected facilities.

First of 13 APC'S were Assigned to a new Army division. The APC designated:  Advance Research Tactical Assault Vehicle (AR-TAV), M588 APC. Nicknamed "Cameron". Each APC could carry 10 personnel. The engine was incased in a noise and heat suppression compartment. 

APC is weathered, decals (from multiple kits), attached smoke grenade launchers and a forward telescopic sensor. The sensor raises and lowers (raises when stationary). The sensor provides night/day/thermal video surveillance. It has long range laser target tracking system. Operated by crew or automated.  The unit can maintain lock on a target and feed the data to US artillery, armor, and air forces for direct fire missions. It also guides cruise missiles. The MLRS version of the APC uses same technology.

Main turret has its own dedicated laser tracking/locking system. When target is engaged the tracking system takes over as a fire-and-forget weapon. It allows the pulse laser weapon to remain locked on a target with gunner ability to override system.

Some custom changes to the kit:

- elevated wheel height for more ground clearance (more common with modern APC's)

- cut out opening for driver side door. Door is hinged and turning handle locks the door.

- add slide rail and rod so the side door can open/close.

- made joints so main gun can elevate. Pins to allow both main turrer and forward twin barrel gun to rotate.

- smoke grenade launchers added to left/right of the hull.

- Telescopic sensor array. When on surveillance/recon missions, the sensor rises about 5" max. The sensor rotates and tilts.

- cut out resin to add windshield to frame.

- Seats added to interior. Two rotate. Computer/control center added to right front wheel well.

- Steering mechanism added.

- Front headlights and rear taillights. Spotlight operates independently. Interior lighting uses green LED. Also independent of the other light units.

Chad

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: C130IM's Vehicles - Aliens USCM APC (modified), Complete! 6 Jul 13
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2013, 05:59:48 AM »
I think it turned out daggone awesome! From the extra work, the leds, and the paint work this one has all the angles covered. I can't wait to talk about it on CAFN this coming week. Back on the front page.

Offline C130IM

• C130IM Customs
  • Ensign
C130IM's Vehicles - 1:18 Invader Class, TOVREX-S Ground Destroyer WIP, 6 Nov 13
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Been off the forums for a while. A lot different stuff going on but getting back into the scratchbuilds.

I have promised for long time that I would finish the 1:18 Invader Class, TOVREX-S Ground Destroyer.
It's now 4+ years since I first started the build. Breaks in between, other issues, materials, time, and other distractions kept me from making significant progress since 2010. I am back to work on this project with intent to complete it!

I moved it from the holding table over to the workstation. The progress won't always be obvious in updates for this model. But, they'll be there.
This is recap of the project. I have to change the build process. Right now only one side is complete (track shielding, and other parts need to be added).

Since moving the model, I am basically reorganizing the materials and assembled one of the 2nd level access panels.

Model in progress

Break down. No sections are permanently attached allowing for interior mods at any point during the build.

Looking down into the second level.

Interior shot of level 1.

Bridge

Weapons section; forms roof for level 2 and connection for bridge assembly.

This is where the work begins again. Installed second level access panel (it more serves to provide room to access the interior: the smaller opening is access hatch). Figure is provided for reference.

This is it for now. Will have new updates soon!
Chad

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Chad, I must admit I let out a little holler this morning when I saw these new wip pics show up. This one is on my top ten list of favorite customs. I simply cannot wait to see it finished. I am off to share.

Offline BlackThorne

• Colonel
  • Jamming!
    • Forja das Estrelas
A true mind blowing project!

Offline maxx-replicas

• Lieutenant
  • SCI-FI MODELING AND MORE
    • MAXX-RELICAS Sci-Fi Modeling And More
A true mind blowing project!
....indeed, and I'm really impressed about the size and about your craftsmanship *** all thumbs up ***

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
My jaw dropped open.  This is real craftmanship.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Yea! amazing work, these vehicles are stunning, creative and original. Really enjoying the updates.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
As I have said before, this is a mind blowing build! I too am a major fan of this vehicle and am glad to hear you have been working on it again. Loving all the photos, she is just beautiful.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
UTTERLY STUNNING, the craftmanship is beyond belief :o :o

Ron