Author Topic: September 2011 Build a Custom Mando Contest  (Read 47507 times)

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Re: September 2011 Build a Custom Mando Contest
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »
next pic,reaching for the hidden secondary weapon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:44:01 AM by JediMindtrix »

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
last one.I hope these picture sises are allowed.I read somewhere about cetain attachments not being allowed for some reason,so if there not let me know and i'll replace them ASAP.well,enjoy,there were so many more things I could have done to him,but my brother told me less is more,so for now,this is my Mando.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:43:12 AM by JediMindtrix »

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »
nice mando as well Spuda.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:07:25 AM by JediMindtrix »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2011, 02:45:21 AM »
That's a great set of mandos, spuds and jm!
I'll bet that feels goo, devin, to complete a custom after so long.
I like that mixed helmet.

Offline Wookie-Balls

• Commodore
« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:49 AM »
Am I too late?

Just got back from a months holiday in Australia! Over the last two days (with jet-lag  ;D ) I put this Mando together using a $3.00 Dragon Ball Z figure as a base (loved the head sculpt so much I bought two of her!!)

I give you the teenage Mando "Tunaka Shaal" a Journeyman Protector in-training.

Oops - Edited to remove pic of ship - sorry guys (!!)

It's my first ever attempt at a Mando (or a Yards competition.)  The amour is from Clint, softened and moulded for her smaller body using boiling water (I also repositioned her arms using the same method.)

All the best!

Ray
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:31:31 AM by Wookie-Balls »

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2011, 04:15:49 AM »
Just get close, Incom, and it will be fine. There is no way that I want to start the voting without this guy in there. Man, I love the colors! do you mind if I put this wip shot on the front page?

No problem Clonehead, go ahead :) I've applied most of the weathering now, just a few more touch ups tonight.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:01 AM »
Great to see the final entries coming in! Congrats Spud, that is the first custom you have done in a long while. love the parts you used and that is one flamboyant mando!

Jedimindtrix, great Job on your entry and I agree, sometimes less is more. Nice parts mix and paint work!

Wookie balls, I replied in your customs thread but I think you have done an excelent job bringing that Dragonball Z chick into the star wars verse. I also love that vehicle but keep in mind folks we are only taking submissions for figures. When we do the round up and voting thread we will select a pic without your awesome vehicle.

Great job everyone! Looks like Incom will have completed pics by tonight, anyone else have a last day entry?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »
it does feel good to have another one finished...  I got lucky and had this one semi-started in my "wip" box and had forgotten about him... of course, when I say started I mean that it was a Destro figure with a boba fett helmet on him!  I didn't explain my parts or the construction earlier cuz it was so late but I'll do that now:

I wound up using two of the Destro figures to complete this custom, the original only comes with one of those shoulder pads.

I used pretty much the entire original destro figure, but replaced the fore-arms with ones from a jodo kast figure.  I removed jodo's original hands however and replaced them with the articulated hands from a clone trooper.

I wish I could say I re-painted the entire figure, but destro already had a red with black camo undersuit on the figure.  I added the yellow after using jodo's arms I realy liked the contrasting yellow armor bits against the red undersuit.  From there I just modified the already existing figure to match.

The removable armor vest did come with the destro figure but did not, of course, include the mando armor plating.  I used a cast resin duplicate of the removable jango armor and trimed up the vest's front to glue it into place.  I used a lighter to soften the cast resin so I could form it around the torso better. 

I then took the extra shoulder pad and made attachment points for it on the left shoulder, installed everything and painted away.

The helmet is also a cast resin duplicate of mine.  the front piece (I believe) was trimmed off a failed cast resin arf trooper or scout trooper helmet and then glued onto the mando helmet.  the antenae on the side was a random bit of fodder...  I believe it was an anti-aircraft gun from a small model aircraft carrier I pulled bits and pieces off of before throwing out....

I'm realy happy with the way it turned out.  I wish the paint apps were a little crisper, but they aren't bad for being out of practice for almost 5 months...  It feels good to have a new custom under my belt...  it doesn't feel good to have stayed up till 2:00 in the morning to do it though....!

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »
This is my entry!

Thorn Kord was one of the very few Mandalorian training sergeants, the famous Cuy'val Dar, who actually deployed with his Commandos on Geonosis and fought alongside them in that epic battle.
Called Ever Ready Kord or Old Beskar Breeches behind his back, Kord was both loved and feared by his troops. Being a tough, resourceful and experienced warrior, he shaped the men under his command in his own Supercommando image. All through the Clone Wars, his Rancor Squad set an impressive track record rivalled only by the equally famous Delta Squad.
Kord was mustered out of Republic service after Geonosis, but was called back to cross-train selected Clone troops when casualties among Commando squads became too high.
After the end of the war, Kord returned to Mandalore. His later fate has not been recorded.

Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
Well..... this is my entry:

Left out my trademark titles and such, just in case :)

This contest just goes to show you can't go wrong with a theme like Mandalorians. And I don't think I have ever made a custom in such a short time :)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:09:58 PM by Incom »

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Awesome completions everyone! Can't wait to vote.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
Some of the best work I've seen on the Yards in a long time and it's all in these pages here! So much awesome! Wish we could assemble our entries for a group shot :)

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
Some of the best work I've seen on the Yards in a long time and it's all in these pages here! So much awesome! Wish we could assemble our entries for a group shot :)
I was gonna say the same thing,like thier all part of a clan.I would love to see that.also,great job to everyone who entered,you guys really pulled out all the stops and went to town,I guess we all want that proto-type fett pretty bad huh,j/k.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:23:14 PM by JediMindtrix »

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
This is one of the most awesome-est contests EVAR!  I'm totally diggin' all the entries! 

Thanks to everyone for the compliments!  The backgrounds\flooring in my new pics are two old baking sheets.  It was an idea I had one day & just thought I'd try it.  I totally dig how it looks and will be using them in pics from now on...getting away from my plain, white backgrounds.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »
Man, you guys have really done us proud this time. I totally agree that to see them all together would be an inspiration. These last 3 or 4 entries have me juiced up to make another mando custom. I believe that I will do a female this time.
  The clock is ticking, folks, If you are working on yours to get it posted in time, you had better hurry up.

Sorry about the 2am thing, Spud. I am, however, really digging what you put out.

The voting thread will be up tomorrow night, possibly in about 24 hours as I have to work tomorrow.

Once again, I am so proud of you all and am plenty proud of how this contest is literally bringing such killer mandos out of the woodwork!