Author Topic: September 2011 Build a Custom Mando Contest  (Read 47513 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: September 2011 Build a Custom Mando Contest
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
Really nice entries guys! AFE you have stepped your game up with this female Mando! Combining Joe and SW parts isn't the easiest thing to do and a good amount of paint work including some skin! Nice work!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
Thanks Spry! Glad you like her. I figured it was time to bring my A-Game lol. I am happy to announce that I will be offering a limited number of these for commissions! Completely free of charge. Anyone interested just needs to send me 1 Boba Fett figure and 1 Agent Helix figure. You pay shipping, everything else is free. I really want to see these go to people who love mandos as much as I do! I already have 2 awaiting production for friends/fans.

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline M4K3R1

• "FEAR IS OUR ALLY"
  • Lieutenant
  • "CODE OF THE SITH ORDER"
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:43 PM »
OH YEAH!!! Really nice Babe a fett AFE, Looks to me like the females are kickin butt.

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 09:46:35 AM »
Oops, how rude of me. Sweet customs everyone!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
Oh yeah, think I recognize the Agent Helix base for this. Very nice AFE.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
Thanks Tamer! She's my favorite modern Joe figure for sure!

"For the Empire!"

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
AFE, consider that figure stolen and reproduced as soon as I get the chance!  I love it!  absolutely perfect.  Theres a few things I'd tweak in the design of the figure, mainly the meeting of the boba legs and the knees of the joe figure.  I would have cut the legs of the boba figure below the knee pad and then joined them there. By itself I think it looks fine, but the legs do seem a little lanky to me and I'd like to see it compared to the height of a normal joe helix figure and a normal boba fett figure for comparison.

also I'd probably do some dremel work to the chest to smooth out the "skin" that's showing.  I did this with a helix figure early on that I have posted somewhere here I'm sure... I just don't remember where.

but yeah, I definately like what I'm seeing and I personally don't know of any other "starbucked" boba fett customs other than the one you mentioned (the static pvc model).  I know that myself and others have used joe parts to make custom female mandalorians, just never in the boba fett color schemes.

I love the addition of the shoulder pads from an actual boba figure glued onto the shoulders, the placement and the way the rest on the figure is pretty seamless, i didn't even notice they were the boba figure's until I looked at it a second time!

EDIT:
Found the image of my helix that I modified the way I mentioned above by dremeling some of the chest and sculpting a more "feminine" physique.  Just thought I'd hijack the thread a bit and show what I was trying to explain.  This by no means is an entry to the contest!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:30:55 PM by spudafett »

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
Okay, this is going to be a tough contest, the competition is already - wow.
I've got all necessary parts for my entry together now, dry-fitting is done and all that remains now is giving the figure a nice paintjob.
He will be a fully poseable, super-articulated figure, of course. Action-oriented like a Mandalorian should be.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »
Thanks for all the awesome insights Spuda! I'm glad you approve! As I went along I realized a lot of ways to make the figure better. I actually prefer the fact that she's taller than fett and most other Star wars figures. I will be making a small run of these figures and numbering each one. I already have a plan for the legs. I actually made some incorrect measurements and cut too soon and had to repair what I did with some salvaged fodder from the fett and helix figures. This was my rough draft and I love the way it came out. The "skin" on the chest looks a bit rough because of the paint I used. Anyway I plan on making more of these and improving them as they go. Over all I'm thrilled as to how she came out. I haven't made a full custom figure in years.

How about instead of stealing her and making your own, why not let me make you one, free of charge. I will implement all the mods you suggested and those I thought of along the way to completing this version. Basically I will re-engineer the legs, and use a more slick smoother paint as well. I know imitation is the sincerest for of flattery and all but if it were possible to patent a custom figure, without getting sued by Hasbro and Lucas I'd patent this lady, being the first one out there and all. I just feel that somehow everyone rushing out and making their own versions detracts from this original, but I guess i can't stop people from doing it. I would really like to get a bunch of these into Yarder's hands though and have 2 orders already.

I want to point out that the arms from the shoulder to just below the elbow joints are helix's. Then Fett's gauntlets. With his flamer tubes affixed to helix's arm. Then helix's hands glued to the gauntlets for a more female look. I then painted her hands from GI-JOE black to Fett gray and added white paint for the tops of her gloves like fett's. I also razored off Fett's back-of-the-thigh holster and affixed it to the outer side of her left thigh. I left the original straps and ammo pack as it lent a little bit of a unique flair to the original fett look.

I originally planned on using a TVC Hoth Leia body but she wasn't curvy enough and I was afraid she'd look a bit stocky, too short, and a bit under defined. I chose the agent Helix body partly because of her long legs. She's got such a feminine form and she's tall. Also Boba Fett is one of the shorter figures out there, and I like that about him. I also like that this fem-Fett is tall. We'd lose some of that feminine physique and she'd look a bit stubby. I did consider just giving her fetts entire legs but I'm really glad I didn't lol. As for this figure's anatomy I'd say she's pretty proportionate and not much taller than her initial GI JOE height. The original fett shins lend this kind of neat skin tight jumpsuit that tapers into more baggy flightsuit bottoms for a really cool effect. Who's to say she has to look exactly like fett? I was really concerned about the shoulder pads as they're a but raised and have a notch cut into them where the initial fett ball jointed shoulder is formed. But as you point out they look pretty awesome. Also the belt was a bit stubborn. It needed some repainting too.

I appoligize on my and Spuda's behalf for hijacking this thread lol, I say we take our discussion into PMs if need be.

This whole contest is just so awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

"For the Empire!"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
Well now AFE that is pretty thoughtful. I used your gal on the front page to give out a reminder about the contest. I want to use some of the others and do a daily reminder now that we are almost into October.

Awesome contest idea Clonehead!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
Thanks Tamer! and Thanks for the front page! I relaly like the idea of a daily reminder of the contest with a different Mando each day. Has anyone thought of doing an ISY calendar? With each month featuring the work of a different custom creator? I'd buy one of those for sure!

"For the Empire!"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
Awesome idea and I think Jules looked into that for us once, but think the cost was so prohibitive that we dropped it. Still, it might be worth another look if someone wants to work on it. I for one already have way too many projects on my plate, perhaps Cal might have some time to work on this too.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »
Yea, I suggested a calander for all of Jules "you've been Hangarbay'd" images a while back. It would be awesome!

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
I'd buy one!!!

Offline clonedenal

• Ensign
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
can't think what desing O0 ()rr DH
Clones are the best. Enough said.

()rr