Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 160221 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Spudafett's Figures (last update: western mando)
« Reply #795 on: January 07, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
I thought so. I have the gauntlets to mold but need that darned chest piece.

No double jointed knees in the arctic viper? I thought all ROC figs had it.

I heard about your new thread but haven't been there yet. I like the idea, though and do feel that you are the man for the job, you mando nut, you.

Offline Squirepec7

• Clone Creator Extreme
  • Banned
  • Commodore
  • "All right clankers, SUCK LASER!"Clone Trooper Jek
    • JediMaster432
« Reply #796 on: January 09, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »
Spud here you go.
"Army or not, you must realize you are DOOMED!"

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #797 on: January 09, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »
Here is a figure I just finished up on commission for that guy who is getting the desert mando, cyborg mando, and several others (11 total figures) from me.

It's the second time I've done this concept, but I've changed it up a little bit.  Back on the first page of my thread I think I showed my "stealth opps boba fett" figure.  which was basically a repainted VOTC boba fett with silver underclothing and black and red armor.  He also had a sandtrooper pauldron with the mythosaur emblem painted onto it... 

I was asked to recreate that figure, or one close to it, and this is what I came up with this time around:

BTW the new pauldron AND the droid backpack are a few of my newest cast resin parts.  The pauldron has a small break in the smaller side of it caused by a bad casting but it's covered by the helmet and isn't noticable so I went on and used it.

what do you guys think?

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »
That one is awesome!  Your customer is a lucky guy!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #799 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
phatty I plan on doing myself a super articulated version... so keep an eye out for it :)

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #800 on: January 09, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
Hey spud it's been a while since i last posted up on your thread, i have really enjoyed looking at all the new mandos you have shown us mate...
great work all round mate, and in  saying that i know how you get sick of seeing just clones being customized same goes for me when seeing you do just mandos,
dont get me wrong i like seeing what you do but its really time to branch out dont you think, just a thought is all... ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:18:28 PM by TheCloneCommander »

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #801 on: January 09, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »
Awesome i love that pauldron.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #802 on: January 10, 2010, 12:54:44 AM »
Hey spud it's been a while since i last posted up on your thread, i have really enjoyed looking at all the new mandos you have shown us mate...
great work all round mate, and in  saying that i know how you get sick of seeing just clones being customized same goes for me when seeing you do just mandos,
dont get me wrong i like seeing what you do but its really time to branch out dont you think, just a thought is all... ;)

Just FYI, in case you might have skipped over everything I type about my figures, Im filling an order of 10 (count them, TEN) mandalorian figures for one person.  Not only are they paying me for several figures I have but have commissioned several from me as well.  Now, I already have an afinity for the mandos, everyone knows that.  Boba fett is my favorite character.  I don't customize to make you or anyone else happy (unless your going to pay me to make a figure), I customize because it's a hobby that I like and I will use my time and money to make figures that I will enjoy.

if you would like some diversity I recomend that you actually look back through my thread... perhaps at these:

I am pretty sure I could keep going with this for quite a while... but I believe I've proven my point.

And I know you probably were just jesting, and pushing my buttons about this...  but.... your not the first to say something about my "lack of non-mando experience"....   

I'd also like to say that if you'd like even more diversity to please take the time to look through my vehicles thread, I gaurantee you that only ONE custom in that entire section is mando related. 

And for those of you who have had constructive things to say about my customs I thank you, Constructive meaningful feedback about what is good and bad on a singular figure is why I post my figures for everyone to see, otherwise, I wouldn't be here.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #803 on: January 10, 2010, 01:28:11 AM »
Geeez Devin calm down son!!! im sorry that i have rustled some feathers on you buddy if you read my post again and not went so damn defensive you would see that
1. i enjoyed your mandos
2. that i said it was great work all round
3.i said again that i like them

i admit some times i skip through post as you so ramble on a bit in them and you too also admit to doing so, i didn't think my comment would get you so hot under the collar,
those are all very nice looking customs you have done and i ask that you just understand that i meant no disrespect to any of your customs or to you..
and by the wink at the end does mean a joke and i have seen you do this so many times to others on here, that you would get that...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:31:13 AM by TheCloneCommander »

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #804 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:20 AM »
no ruffled feathers... sarcasm doesn't bode well through the internet.
But I knew you were joking.   :P
It's just sometimes I do feel like some people (not necessarilly you) miss things and I wanted to reinforce the fact that I don't only do mandos for those who have only been with us long enough to catch the last few pages of my thread....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:44:33 AM by spudafett »

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #805 on: January 10, 2010, 02:08:36 AM »
Devin, I love that figure.
The cartoon Boba is one of my favorite Star Wars figures anyway and properly painted they look awesome.
Can't wait for your SA version of it, buddy!
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #806 on: January 10, 2010, 02:11:09 AM »
I agree.  I think the holiday debut boba fett is one of the best base figures of the character hasbro has produced.  It's very well made.

However, I do think the newer legacy "evolutions" boba fett is a better overall figure with more versatility for customizing.  Because of this it will be the base for the super articulated version of the stealth boba

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #807 on: January 10, 2010, 04:59:05 AM »
I've got the EVO and the new Legacy Boba, yes, they are great figures.
The comic style Boba is nice because he is slightly different.
Love his belt and holster - any chance you will cast the holster and pistol anytime soon?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #808 on: January 10, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
oh man.... commander Kurgan.  I've had almost no luck at all casting weopons.  about the only thing I've had any luck with is the helmets and some of the armor parts.  I'm not as good as clint is about making the paper flashing for parts and planning how to get the resin to fill in every intricate part...  I've not even thought about attempting trying to do holsters...  I honestly don't know that I'd be able to figure out a way to do it well enough...

my main thought is that when the resin fully cures it becomes very very brittle.  With the belts and holsters you want them to be that flexible rubbery material so that while your swapping accessories and moving the figure around the belt/holster flexes with the figure.  I am almost certain that with the style of the holiday boba's holster it'd break as soon as you tried to move the figure around.

If there was a flexible rubber like resin or two part self hardening liquid that we could use to recreate the parts then I think it'd work...

the closest thing that comes to my mind is the old "creepy crawler" plasti-goop which when cooked in the creepy crawler's oven turned to a rubbery material...  but there is no way that we would have to make the necessary metal molds to use to heat that type of material in.   (please tell me there are other people who know what I am talking about and I'm not showing my age here....  I know they remade the creepy crawler kits into star wars ones just last year for the clone wars cartoon....  I almost bought one.)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #809 on: January 10, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
Devin, the holster alone would be good. Belts can always be crafted from other plastic material or maybe even fabric.
I bet Clint could get you jumpstarted with the weapons casts.