Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 160214 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures (update: new mandos)
« Reply #585 on: November 11, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
The trench coat mando is very cool,  turned out nice and the colors scheme is perfect for it.

The female mando kind of looks like a bobble head with the small neck with the helmet actually apears that the neck is to long, it may just be the pic angle.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #586 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:42 PM »
recon, the neck is a little long for the head I swapped onto it so it does look a little odd...  but I do think the angle of the photos exagerated the effect a little.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #587 on: November 11, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I agree, the Mando is very cool. I love that coat. The female does have a long neck, just drill a bit deeper into the head and she will be perfect.

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #588 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »
Mighty fine work on these Mandos, Devin. Mighty fine.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #589 on: November 12, 2009, 01:12:55 AM »
Spudafett, you've been Hangabay'd

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:15:55 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
« Reply #590 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:40 AM »
goddamn that's awesome, HB!

I love the light of the dual suns glinting off his plates, thats amazing attention to detail!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #591 on: November 12, 2009, 05:50:25 AM »
Looks like a still shot from one of the
Movies, Jules! I like the Mythosaur skull in the logo. Spud is going to love it.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2009, 06:24:25 AM »
looks awesome Devin. I really like that trenchcoat Mando. FP bound!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #593 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:46 AM »
 ;D

you can't see it right now HB, but I'm beaming as bright as those dual suns. 
Thanks for that, it was a welcome sight this morning.
you did an awesome job...

I just wish the skull emblem on his jacket was more noticable in all my shots, I know that a full frontal view is the best for the image you did and I love it!
I think someone else commented on the fact that the trenchcoat should be able to close so the emblem matches up.... I wish it did, that'd be awesome... (of course I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear a trenchcoat buttoned up... lol)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
As I already commentd on, I dig the trench coat mando as is, but the shot really sets it off, adds so much depth.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #595 on: November 12, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »
Fine work, Spud!  Love seeing that head get used, too.  ;)  Both those figs are mighty nice.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #596 on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »
Oh man I love that photo Jules.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
My buddy chris, up at peddlers mall, (he's on the forums here but never posts and I'm not sure of his SN... Simon do you know what he registered by here?) hooked me up with a single carded jango fett and a boba fett today.  The boba fett is most likely going to remain MIB since I have two coming in from phatty (can't wait!)....

anyways... so I couldn't resist opening jango and messing with him... I was going to keep him MIB but I figured I had the same sculpted figure in the EVO box so I'm not too concerned about it.... I think if I try to get every boxed variation of a figure's sculpt then I'll go crazy... and broke!

anyways, so I wanted to give this jango a super arty joe torso treatment.  Very similar to the scout trooper. 

So I popped jango open, removed his lower legs and test fitted a few joe parts.  For jango you have to use a joe that has the torso joint in the gut area instead of the chest, so a figure like cobra commander worked best.  I finally decided on using the Resolute cobra commander's torso as it fit the best... not perfect, but the best.   I wanted to do this without having to dremel anything.  This is to show that anyone with an exacto knife and some patience can pull off exactly the same thing!

here is what I have so far.  Right now he's got the legs from Major Bludd, I liked the thighs of that figure because it has a sculpted patch of "armor" that is very similar to jango's thigh armor.  I havn't decided on whether to use the evo style jango's lower legs and boots that have the shin armor sculpted to them or use a joe figure's legs and make a cast resin duplicate of the removable shin armor from the other jango......

enough talk:

oh yeah, I also used the head from the republic comando in the commando evo pack, the one with the red kama and removable helmet.  I liked the lines and sculpting of that head better than the flabby jango face... a hardend bounty hunter shouldn't look like a flabby well fed teenager....

Ok, heres where I need your all's input.  Look at the two images above and tell me which belt/holster set looks best.  One has the cod piece included and the other doesn't.  I think I'll wind up using the one with the cod piece because I won't have to fabricate one that way...

ALSO... I know there is a hight difference! Don't go rambling about how much taller he is... I know that.  It seems like every time I do one of these S/A figs someone complains about how much taller they turn out.  I don't care that he's taller. He's going to stand next to all my other 4" S/A figures! lol... ok... tell me what you guys think and answer my questions.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »
I like the first one better, teh other one looks like its laying on the leg, which might be more realistic, I don't know.

Man, I love it when you articulate these lucas statues.

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #599 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »
I would go with the first and darker holster, but mod on some leg straps to tie them down out of rubberbands or something.
The colors match up better to me, although you are going to paint the legs and probably boots...
I would put on a cod piece of some sort though.