Author Topic: Spudafett's Figures (last update: sa at-at commander)  (Read 158264 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Spudafett's Custom Figures
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:18:46 PM »
I have a basic tutorial written up in the other forum, I'll copy paste it here in a new thread somewhere.

Here is a vehicle custom I did using an old broken jedi starfighter.  The pop up wings wouldn't work anymore so I modded them and also modded the non removable droid and socket into a removable droid socket.

backstory:

High over Coruscant skies high speed races take place.  Carving out a course through the atmosphere, through space, through hyperspace and back people gather around their holoviewers to watch and bet on these dangerous races.

During the race the pilot, his ship, and his droid navigator must survive the harshest atmospheric flying, dangerous asteroid and mine fields, as well as watch out for rival pilots.  The ships are outfitted with modified engines, shields and weopons to aid in the race.  It's not just about speed and fancy flying either.  Mines set up in the course test a pilot's defensive capabilities, blasting rival racers out of the sky is also highly recomended so offensive weoponry and skill is highly prized.

a new, young brash pilot has just joined the race in his modified jedi starfighter.  He repaired the deralict fighter which was designed for a different time and age.  In the Empire there is no use for a ship which can  only be flown by a jedi...

here it is:

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »
my first completely from scratch 1:18 scale vehicle.   From scratch ATPT

The ATPT has always been one of my favorite walker designs.  I spent alot of time as a kid in middle school drawing it and making new versions of it and coming up with some outlandish Ideas. 

This is the original version:

Now... I origonally had added arms to my design for the expanded model but when building started I opted out of doing that.  I may go back and add them someday but for now it's closer to the original.

My expansions on the original are basically just a top mounted missile turret with an optional gunner socket.

Heres the WIP pictures (I made sure to take alot this time so you can see how it progressed)

I started with the cockpit.  I tend to always start a custom vehicle around the cockpit area so that the figures will fit and the rest of the machine will be in the correct scale and everything fits.  Sorry I didn't get started taking pictures untill I completely finished the cockpit.

The rear compartment still open, shows the turret on top with a pen tube going into the roof which gives the turret side to side twisting ability...

Showing how the gunner will fit.

The dismantaling of a lego part to use as the hip and ankle joints.  4 of these were used total.

hip joints glued on.  I havn't done this but I think I'll probably go back and build a small box around these parts as they look out of place in the final product...

legs halfway completed.  There are 2 joints that are scratch built by sandwiching the second leg piece in the first and putting a nail through and then bending the nail slightly which held it in place and gave it alot of friction to keep the joint tight and posable.

The feet w/ ankle sockets

one leg finished.  I was amazed that the whole thing was able to be supported by the one foot.  The ball joints made it possible to position the feet directly underneath the cockpit so that it could balance, or set at a wide stance to give it more stability once both feet were attached.  The legs came out to be super posable and the whole thing can stand in a myriad of poses.

Both legs attached

even though it's blurry you can see how the legs don't stick strigt up parrallel to the body, the ball joints allow the legs to bend outward as you would expect an animals legs to sort of do...  It gives it a more organic look rather than a static stiff posture.

front weoponry is made of two superglue lids, and the bottom left launcher is that of a Clone Trooper's removable launcher, the ones that attach to their guns.  It still retains the launching feature and has a red missile to go with it.

first coat of paint and a size comparison

rear view

with the gunner in place

I should probably install a foot-step huh?

Finished paint and weopons installed.

I didn't put in an interior: 1: because you can't see it with the door closed, and 2: because with a seat in place I'd never get the figures in and out.  I'ts just too tight.

I probably will at least paint the inside black so you don't see so much white through the windows...

Standing up tall

The "running" pose

close up of the nose guns

one last shot of the front.

ok parts used:  Sheet styrene, Cardstock posterboard, lego ball and sockets, spring loaded clone trooper rocket launcher, rocket launcher from unknown gi-jow/SW vehicle (it came in a fodder box off e-bay and I don't know it's true origins, I'm talking about the top turret).

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
I present to you the mandalorian huntress.  Raised on mandalore she has carried out the traditions of the mandalorians her whole life.  Her father taught her how to fight, hunt and fend for herself.  He gave her a knife which was passed down through their familly for decades.  This knife was made from the tooth of one of the last mythosaurs which ruled mandalore before the first mandalorian king wiped them out and tamed the planet.

of course the base fig is a 25thA scarlett.  The crossbow is a chewbacca crossbow with added chains for the strap.  The backpack is a repainted "komino escape" boba backpack.  Hip holster and pistol are from a 25thA Gi-Joe Hawk, the knife is made from a fossilized shark tooth with a plastic handle glued on.  Helmet is the removable helmet from the kamino escape boba boy pack.

Everything has been repainted with testors acrylics, the metalic blue is a mix of silver and blue. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
The Mandalorian Huntress's Swoop bike. 

This bike is made from sheets of styrene which were rough shaped and then sanded into final shape with my dremel and a sanding drum.  I then spray painted it black and then finished the painting with a home mixed blend of acrylic paints.

So here it is:

before paint

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »
MAD BAT v2.0

Whole lot of improvements here.  I never did like the boots on this fig.. I thought "why the hell does an android have boots?"  So I swapped out the lower legs with my merc wraith figure and I think it looks a whole lot more mechanical now. 

Stripped all the old sticky green enamel paint off the figure from the first go around and replaced it with a custom mix of darkened silver.  Washed the new lower legs with some black paint to make it resemble the BAT's arms more and make it look more weathered.

Repainted the green on the backpack to match the new figure

added a shoulder pauldron on which I may eventually put the mandolorian mythosaur skull emblem on...

heres the updated pics:

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
During the clone wars the sepratists were pumping out battle droids by the thousands.  Battle droids, super battle droids, droidekas, magnagaurds, buzz droids, space fighters the list goes on and on.

Magnagaurds were commonly used as bodygaurds but as the clone wars progressed, and with the death of grevious, the sepratists wanted a more substantial bodygaurd to protect them during battles.  Thus the SUPER magnagaurd was created.

similar in construction to their predicessors the super magnagaurd was given added armor as well as a double barreled laser cannon which was mounted as a backpack and removed when needed. 

btw this figure is still up for sale.  Currently it is not listed on e-bay, however if anyone is interested contact me

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
a single quote from wookipedia's artilce on boba fett is the origin for this custom:

"Imperial records showed that Fett had served as a stormtrooper, but deserted after he killed his commanding officer."

My elaborated backstory:

After leading a group of clones on a raid of the kamino cloning facility which had grown a batch of rebelious clones Boba Fett was offered a position as a storm trooper by the officer which comanded the mission along side Boba Fett.  Boba Fett resisted for some time but when bounty's were low decided to join the ranks of his "brothers."  The recruiting officer reluctantly agreed to allow him to outfit his storm trooper armor with parts of his own.  Boba Fett stated that to be a soldier at optimum strength and capability he should be allowed to use the armor and weopons which he has become so apt to using.  Citing the fact that he took down many dangerous bountys with his personal armor making him a formidible foe the recruiting officer agreed.

However, once in the field his commanding officer thought different.  An emperial fanatic the commander believed that all storm troopers should be clad in identical armor just as they are identical genetically.  Fett of course disagreed stating that he would be an efficient soldier with whatever armor he was wearing but his own personal armor made him stronger than 10 troopers combined.  His commander took him up on this promise picking 9 of his best men and challenging Fett.  Fett subsequently killed the 9 troopers outright and then his comanding officer...  After this fett decided that being assymilated into the ranks of the empire would not be his calling, and if the empire ever found out that Fett was the one behind the killings then he would be charged.  Fett defected returning to his bounty hunting career...

ok.. the story needs some work but it gives the basic points of why fett would have different armor than other stormtroopers... 

Base figure is a comic pack stormtrooper.  The one that came with lando.  I repainted the blue parts of the figure white. 
I removed the shoulder pads from an animated debut boba fett and painted it white.  I took a rocket launching jango backpack and painted it white and stuck a non-launching missile attachment in it.  Jango's removable gauntlets were used for the gauntlets.  I drilled a hole in the left gauntlet to allow attachment of the concept fett flame accessory. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
 I just noticed that every time I type F E T T a smiley takes over! .... that's kind of annoying...

anyway on to the next custom.  I have done several customs which combine the articulation of 25th aniversary gi-joe figures with that of recent star wars figures.  The basic operation involves chopping the joes up at the waist and using their waist and thighs to create a new figure using the star wars figure's upper body and lower legs. 

Animated debut boba fett, the first experiment in this process:

as you can see the Joe parts caused him to grow about a head taller than the original.  I actually think he looks more proportional now... however he does look a little funny next to normal SW figs.  As you can see in this comparison pic the cod piece armor is still missing in the custom. 

striking  a pose that the original could never accomplish

Riding a boga... similar to how the creature's mount will be when it is completed.  again, something the original could never even dream of doing.

It worked so well I've made two of these animated versions, the second uses a different set of joe legs which better fit the boba costume. 

The first version has already sold on e-bay.  I still have the other if anyone is interested, again let me know.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »
super articulated classic boba fett

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
this is a custom following the same process of construction which I used to make the super articulated boba fetts. 

This is how a clone should be able to move!:

super articulated Kashyyyk trooper

This figure was put up on e-bay but surprisingly it did not sell....  I was certain it would.  Again, it's up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Here is more pics of that custom speeder bike from the previous post.

cammo paint job complete with working FLASHING led light on the console

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
This is probably the worst custom I've done...

"Space Suit Mandalorian"

a random conglomeration of fodder parts put together to build this.  I think I like the blow torch the most out of everything....lol

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
I'm thinking about calling him "RedWing"...  I just don't like "wraith".  When I hear "wraith" I think of stargate atlantis.

The figure was a 25th A mercenary wraith.   Lower legs were swapped with a BAT figure.  Armor was switched to a removable set of stormtrooper armor (not entirely sure what figure that armor came with but it was black originally).  Backpack was scrapped.

heres the pics:

before:

after:

flash...

no flash

gonna cap yo ass!  :D

removable armor

left the face the same

I think the different armor works well.  What do you all think?
any ideas on a better name?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
The best smugglers in the galaxy:

Han Solo and Lando customs.  Same technique I've been using.  Acrylic paint job.  yadda yadda. 

The Joe legs make both figures look a little more beefy than they shold be.   I'm coining them as "younger" versions of the caracters.  Think about what Han Solo and Lando would have looked like during their prime of smugling and gambling.  I have a feeling this is somewhat what they would have resembled during the famous gambling match in which Han won the Falcon and Lando subsequently lost it.....

I made these figures for the sole purpose of selling them.  Unfortunately they didn't sell.  I still have both.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »
Clone wars era snow trooper.  Variation on the regular clone set of armor.

Construction was simple, base figure of the clone trooper with the forearms swapped out with that of the 25th joe snow serpent.  Boots swapped with snow serpent's boots.  Snow serpent accessories added.  Complete repaint (curtesy of my wife. She cussed the shit out of me for giving her the figure to paint with all the white!  ???...)

anyway here it is:

If I sell this figure it will have a white gun instead of the black blaster pistol...