Imperial Entertainment TV and Movies > Star Wars Movies

Blu-Ray review - Original Trilogy - First Impressions...

(1/9) > >>

hangarbay94:
Hi everyone! well I don't know about you but I eagerly collected my triple Blu-Ray pack containing Ep IV, V & VI yesterday and I thought I'd give you my first impressions before I give a more indepth review later this week.

I had to forgo the expense of purchasing the entire series after my wife told me how much we'd spent on the kids shoes prior to school starting, and when she saw the price of the entire series she gave me "the look"... you know, the one that says "Go ahead and do it and no sex for a very long time" (no change there methinks)....Knowing that life is so much simpler if I do as my wife tells me I purchased the OT on it's own.  

Ok, first off the Original Trilogy pack cost £35 (UK money), the pack only contains the movies and no extras. As a long time Star Wars fan I am beginning to feel a little used as I feel that not including the extras relating to these movies is an exploitive move.

I am watching the film on an 8ft projector screen, images are fed via a Hitachi HD projector, sound is piped through a Cambridge Audio HD Amp. I have watched about 30 minutes of the Empire Strikes Back to sample this release and I have come to the realisation that Lucas Film cannot perform miracles. Sure the image is clearer and you can certainly hear the difference, but the movie was made in 1981, so the crystal clear image seen in modern films is not there. Saying that I realise that this is as close as I'm ever going to get to watching the original movie, so for that I am grateful for my Blu-ray box of tricks. After 30 minutes I stopped the film as I want to go back and see all films in order...let's see if I can re-live the magic...

This evening it is the big one...Star Wars A New Hope (or should I say Ep IV). I will update this post once I've viewed the film in its entirety.

***UPDATE*** I've just spoken to Wraith9 who's purchased the whole box set and I now feel sick after he told me that the extras are excellent....DAMN! It seems as though the box set truly is better than sex!

Tamer:
LOL. Had a good laugh reading this Jules.

Sounds like I had better get the box set, even with possible wifey entanglements.

zedhatch:
So wait, you only get the extras with the big boxed set, I was unaware of this, this just kind of makes me mad because the only reason I was thinking of getting it was the deleated sceanes from the originals which I hoped would be in the Original Trilogy boxed set.  That feels like a huge gip to say the least. 

hangarbay94:
Z, I can confirm  that the triple set is as basic as it gets... Saying that, I'm pretty happy with the bonus stuff that came with the DVD's. I an just hoping for the difinitive image quality when watching my favourite films.

Clonehead:
Isnt it about like that for every blue ray release of an older movie. The image quality just doesn't compare to the newer stuff. You would think that Lucas with his resources could have found a way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version