Author Topic: DarthSinister's Customs  (Read 61082 times)

Offline Moronarama

• Commander
  • UTINI!!!!
    • Moronarma Facebook Page
Re: DarthSinister's Customs
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2019, 06:24:30 AM »
Very cool figure.  It reminds me of the Thri-kreen from the old Star Frontiers game from TSR.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
The head is taken from that 1:18 scale ROTS Can-Cell, right?

- Philipp

Thanks Philipp! He's a fun one to do, and Snoke totally diappeared. LOL And yes, he was a $5dollar fig.
That is not the Can-Cell head. That is Snoke's head under the GreenStuff, so it was hand sculpted. Can't wait to get some paint on him!
What you're seeing in the background is another StarHopper from Jaxxon's posse. That is the Spiner, Hedji, and he's coming together nicely. At the moment I'm waiting on a new Chewbacca body to come in. That's the last Chewie I have and I don't want to give him up. It's going to be another all-body sculpt over.

Yepper, you are really kicking it into high gear with this one. Looks awesome. Off to share.

Thanks Tamer! I'm also finishing up two Defel customs. One will be your standard run of the mill Cantina Defel. The other is a Dark Lord... more on that soon!

Very cool figure.  It reminds me of the Thri-kreen from the old Star Frontiers game from TSR.

Thanks Moronarama. Not familiar with the alien. I'll have to look him up. This is simply an elaborated Yam'rii from the Cantina scene in ANH.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »
Looks brilliant. You've give so much attention to the sculpting detail and I'm really blown away by the quality. I look forward to the painted final figure. (I'm also really looking forward to Hedji).

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #303 on: October 13, 2019, 10:59:44 AM »
Thanks Starchaser. I plan on doing some paintwork today on the Yam'rii. Can't wait to get him looking spiffy.

I've got quite a few WIPs in the works, all in different stages. The Defel Alien is one that I've been working on diligently. I created the head for an original character that I did in the Graphic Art section many years ago. I began working on that character and finished it, but I still wanted to show the versatility of the head. I created another custom with it which is closer to what we see on screen in ANH.

I finished both customs last night. Both are 1:12th scale. They were super fun to do and I'm pleased with the outcome. I'm posting the Cantina alien first so you guys know what he is. I'll do a separate post for my original character because he has a story and I don't want the two confused.

So here is my Cantina version of the drunken Defel...

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #304 on: October 13, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
Happy Halloween! My favorite holiday because I can make spooky art, spooky customs and spooky costumes.  ;D

Many years ago (2011) I did some mock comic covers called Dark Lords Of The Sith. These were the start of a fun little story to lay the ground work for a Star Wars Sequel (way before the actual Sequels). If anyone wants to go back in the Graphic Arts section and read them they're still there. I just need to go in and fix the pictures, which I will do this evening.

The stars of this tale of Sith Lords were all based on Golden and Silver age Horror Movies, a homage if you will. These great Sith Lords are something I've been building my skills towards making into custom figures for some time. I was able to accomplish a Sith Master (Darth Vereor) a few years ago and had to stop on him and his pet Nexu "Blasko" because of time issues. I'm finally starting to balance out my time issues, so I was able to create his Defel apprentice Lord Vernula. The set is a homage to the late great Bela Lugosi and his portrayal of Count Dracula in the 1931 Universal master piece. Using the likeness of Bela Lugosi as the Master and the Nexu as a homage to Lugosi's film "Black Cat" I found the perfect apprentice in the bat-like alien called a Defel, again a homage to Count Dracula.

Darth Vereor’s apprentice, DARTH VERNULA, was trained in the brutal ways of his master. This Defel Dark Lord was known for his vicious fighting style and equally vicious weapon. The version of a LightSaber was clasped together for a broad sword effect but could be detached for a double weapon fighting style. The weapon also had shorter energy blades that could be separately activated, surprising many doomed Jedi in close combat.

Following the orders of his Master, who was obsessed with eternal life, VERNULA raided an outpost in the Spar Sector. The mission was to find a fabled artifact that was able to extend the possessor’s life indefinitely. The artifact was never found and the mission nearly went very bad when a group of Jedi at the outpost intervened. VERNULA’s vicious training prevailed and all were killed.

VERNULA Latin word meaning: servant.

Here is the original artwork that inspired the figure.

And the figure...

Lord Vernula's sabers are magnetized to his robotic arm.

Lord Vernula's saber hilts are magnetically connected...

...and can be easily separated. All four blades are removable. I need to work on the smaller blades to get the color right.

Lord Vernula's Master, Darth Vereor and his Force controled Nexu "Blasko".

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
The Defel turned out really well and you should be proud of him! I remember the Vereor and Blasko figures, and thought they were awesome. Vernula is a suitable companion. Absolutely excellent!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2019, 03:27:30 AM »
You should be in charge at Lucasfilm making all the future Star Wars villians. He is so much better than Snoke! Or Ren or any of the new ones for that matter. So tough. Off to the front pages, love the comic cover too.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks guys!

I'd love to be in charge of character development at LFL!  ;D

Got a new one tonight...
Finally got around to the paint job! FINISHED!! This is my Yam'rii Bug Warrior turned Bounty Hunter, Chak' Tark.

The Body is all Snoke.
Major sculpting with GreenStuff!
Head is an original sculpt by me.
Armor borrowed from a ROTS 3-3/4" Wookie Warrior
Wings are from a 3-3/4" Geonosian.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2019, 02:24:14 AM »
Wow that is awesome. Man, such sculpting skill. Off to the front pages.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2019, 06:42:26 AM »
Thankya Tamer. Loved doing this guy. He had a lot of sculpting. I may try, later, to post a photo of him before he was finished.

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2019, 06:46:46 AM »
Love that Yam'rii, and  your new insect character! Your sculpt and paint work is top notch!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:10:40 PM by Chuckles »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »
Holy belt-buckle those customs looks amazing! Yam'rii looks fantastic being finished now! And I already wrote a long comment on your Darth Vernula, but it got lost on transmission, which is always pretty frustrating. It would probably take me another 20 minutes to remember everything I wrote...might do that on Halloween.
Both versions of Vernula look incredible. As said in the comments above, your projects are some of the most amazing 1/12 Star Wars customs out there!
Thanks for sharing! Your 6 inch universe is growing in an impressive pace!

Cheers!

- Philipp

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »
Love that Yam'rii, and  your new insect character! You sculpt and paint work is top notch!

Thanks Chuckles!

Holy belt-buckle those customs looks amazing! Yam'rii looks fantastic being finished now! And I already wrote a long comment on your Darth Vernula, but it got lost on transmission, which is always pretty frustrating. It would probably take me another 20 minutes to remember everything I wrote...might do that on Halloween.
Both versions of Vernula look incredible. As said in the comments above, your projects are some of the most amazing 1/12 Star Wars customs out there!
Thanks for sharing! Your 6 inch universe is growing in an impressive pace!

Cheers!

- Philipp

Thanks Philipp. I'm glad you guys like him. I should have had him done a week ago, but work kept calling me for help... lol.

Here's a few WIP picks and an in hand photo.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2019, 02:00:38 PM »
Haha the first pic is pure gold! I call him Techno Snoke the Golden Bug from now on...thanks for the WIP pics - that's a special piece of art in your hand! Like the chest plate/bag of the Sneak Preview Wookie you used for this one as well!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #314 on: October 24, 2019, 03:13:55 AM »
Talk about one fantastic transformation. Off to share.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:17:00 AM by Tamer »