Author Topic: DarthSinister's Customs  (Read 59602 times)

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
Re: DarthSinister's Customs
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
Very Cool!!!

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:39 AM »
Now that is way cool !!! I can only imagine that after so long the hutts would be plotting against our heros to avenge jabba   lol  well done I lkie this hutt

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
great job! that is one ugly muthaf....

Thank you WraithNine! He is quite ugly, I call him a "Bull Hutt". I can see him being from a more arid region of Nal Hutta and Jabba from the swamps.

Wow, that looks perfect. Have to go to the front page with this.

Thanks Tamer and thanks for the FP!

Very Cool!!!

Thanks buddy.

Now that is way cool !!! I can only imagine that after so long the hutts would be plotting against our heros to avenge jabba   lol  well done I lkie this hutt

Thanks a bunch Jedi1977. I really don't want Sith in the new Episodes, I think they're done for now. Aliens and Mandos can be just as much a threat. Who's to say there arent some Darksiders among them, after all we still need Saber battles.

I'm posting some WIP pics from this guy. He was a lot of fun to make.

Figure in it's original state.

Disassembled Jabba figure. I cut away the back of the head from the tail's motion wheel.

Screws to re-enforce a FixIt "dome base".

Checking the fit of the FixIt "dome base" prior to curing.

Ball socket insert for FixIt "dome base".

Ball socket insert installed in the "dome base". Because the original figure had limited torso turning this application allows the figure to be fully turned to the side or "laying position" and still retain the tail movement.

Lacquer system Model Masters primer.

Head sculpting in Sculpey Firm for fine detail. I would not normally finish this head with paint. I would mold it and cast it in one peice for strength, but because this was done in one weeks time I'll wait to cast it and finish it instead.

Some of the tail sculpting started using FixIt Sculpt.

Original peg was cut off of the arm. Holes were drilled and ball joints were installed using FixIt as glue.

Arms now pop on and off with ease and have more pose ability than the original swivel peg.

Ball joints were all purchased from ISY sponsor The Big Bad Toy Store.

Vallejo acrylic Model Colors used for the paint apps, final spray with Testors "Dull Coat" and a drop of Crystal Clear casting epoxy was put in each eye to give a "wet look".

That's it in a 'nut shell'.

Offline dr0d26

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
wicket looking hutt... Like the work on progress pics and the ball joint idea.. very nice entry...

Offline The Willoughbian

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »
Impressive! I need to get into sculpting more.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
That work in progress tutorial was for the win. So cool.

Can't wait to get that on the front page tomorrow.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 04:56:26 AM »
Truly amazing rebuild. Had to get this on the front page.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 07:08:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing the process that went into your build here. Man, a lot more work went into this thing than I thought! How do you like working with those ball joints? I have seen others use them on figures and have always wondered about them. As Shawn has said, you took one crappy piece of plastic and turned it into a masterpiece! I love the design and sculpting work you have done. Paint aps look great as well, he is one rough and tough looking joker!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing the process that went into your build here. Man, a lot more work went into this thing than I thought! How do you like working with those ball joints? I have seen others use them on figures and have always wondered about them. As Shawn has said, you took one crappy piece of plastic and turned it into a masterpiece! I love the design and sculpting work you have done. Paint aps look great as well, he is one rough and tough looking joker!

Thanks LE. I wanted this figure to be functional as if purchased off the shelf. I wanted the arms to work better. That original swivel joint had to go. The figure was from the deleted ANH scene and was only pose-able in the "crawling" perspective because that was Jabba's only position in that scene. I wanted this guy to be able to lay on his side too. That's why I put the work into the joint in his head.The original wheel was only able to turn about a quarter of it's circumference. That ball-joint allows the torso to pivot independently, while it's tight fit drags the wheel mechanism.

The Ball joints are handy. So far this was the first time I've used them and I'll say they work fine on larger figures. I haven't tried them on the "typical" human sized figure yet but I can already see something I want to try. When I mentioned the joints tight fit for the torso, up there, that was a happy accident. You see, when the ball is put into the socket, the socket expands a bit. BUT if you sink the socket into FixIt and let it set, it can't expand creating a tighter fit. ALSO rough-up the ends of the joints so that the FixIt can hold it in. If you don't the joints will slip out of the cured FixIt.

I got a few different kind of joints I just need to figure them out. They're in Chinese packaging and there is a microscopic diagram on how to assemble them but I don't own a microscope.

I'm still wanting to cast that head though. I want to try a version with a magnetized torso instead.

Truly amazing rebuild. Had to get this on the front page.

Thank you much Tamer. I saw the facebook page too thank you.

Impressive! I need to get into sculpting more.

Thanks Wiloughbian. The FixIt is really easy to use but a little trickier to manipulate. If you mix too much throw it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. When you're ready to use it again, warm it up in your hands and it will return to it's last state.

wicket looking hutt... Like the work on progress pics and the ball joint idea.. very nice entry...

Thank You dr0d. I always hated that figure and now it's sitting on my desk.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:40 AM »
Now that would be a good looking desk piece, to be sure. Thanks for the wip and build up detalis.

Offline STJuggernaut

• Ensign
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
fantastic job on this guy! love seeing the work in progress pics too, i really like seeing the process of a custom, especially one that turned out as good as this one!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »
Now that would be a good looking desk piece, to be sure. Thanks for the wip and build up detalis.

Thanks CloneHead. I like tutorials, I wouldn't know half as much without them.

fantastic job on this guy! love seeing the work in progress pics too, i really like seeing the process of a custom, especially one that turned out as good as this one!

Big thanks Juggernaut.

Offline darth_sidious

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
Seeing the WIP pics really adds to the custom, and makes me appreciate it more.  I think it would have been cool to see this Hutt in the CW series on the Hutt Council. ;)

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Hi Guys. Finding a little time on my hands as of late... and I mean a little. I wanted to enter the REBELS contest but alas I couldn't think of a darn thing to do. Instead I decided to follow what I like, so without mentioning any names here are a few WIPs.....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 02:41:54 AM »
Interesting wips. Liking the look of the Hammerhead one especially. Back to the fp.