Author Topic: Need Legacy AT-ST joint "New Pics added again" 9/9/11  (Read 8648 times)

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
Re: Need Legacy AT-ST joint "New Pics added again" 9/9/11
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »
I had one break when my boys were just modifing the legs on a dio they just moved it slowly and broke so I clued it together and we just play with the other one.

Offline lucasclones_strikes_back

• Clone Commander
  • Commander
  • THe skill and creativity of a 12 year old!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 01:25:23 PM »
Mine fell off my shelf and broke too my dad stuck it together and put some glue on it it was alright but that joint doesn't move now.  >:(

I maybe little but i make one shot and one kill... At a cool custom-one more thing ITSA TRAP!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
this is sounding more common all the time. I wonder about the possibility of molding and casting this piece.

Spookymufu

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 01:37:35 PM »
this is sounding more common all the time. I wonder about the possibility of molding and casting this piece.

well, are you here in the US?

if so, I could send you the piece and see if you can fix it/cast it, then send me a new piece :)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
Yep, I am in Mo.
I have a good atst on hand and am just shy of taking it apart and getting a closer look.

Spookymufu

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Offline lord malicor

• Cadet
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
over all i had 3of mine break the same way so i turned them into rebel turrets lol but yea they were made crappy =[

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
Well, i got the part from Orange in the mail today. For the life of me, I can't get the mushroom peg to turn either. I see where the outside of it's hole has the octagon shape that the peg does and assume that it is supposed to expand when you turn it and then slip into place within the octagon. I will have to have another look to see how to get it moving again.

I had worked on this right after getting home from work and my hands were still grubby.

Now the broken joint wasn't too much of a chore to patch up. I just cleaned up the dried glue where orange had glued it together, fit the pieces together and held them In place while I used the pin-vise to drill a hole from the outside of one half to the outside of the other half on both sides where the breaks were. I then cut a length of craft wire long enough to penetrate both pieces but not extend beyond the outside and super glued both pieces of wire prior to inserting them through the drilled holes. after pin insertion, I added more superglue to the joint of the break to fill the crack and to the top and bottom of both sets of pin holes.
After using some CA glue accelerator to quicken the bonding process, I filed the break points smooth and then painted with Model Master flat gull grey which was a pretty close match to the plastic color. These shots were taken prior to the paint drying and the paint darkened a touch as it dried.
The broken joint should be good to go now and is probably stronger than when it came from the factory.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »
Yepper, knew the Clonehead would figure it out.

Offline RavenEye

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:58 PM »
 DH Yeah that mushroom piece is troublesome. It turns when connected to the leg, but when alone. It's like WTF? Thanks for help man. Can't wait to see it on the the leg again.  DH

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
OK, I took another look at the mushroom peg and here is what I came up with. Pic 1 is just to show how after the paint dried it got pretty close to the factory color.
In pic 2, as you look into the hollow cavity inside the mushroom peg, you can see that strip of horizontal plastic that is cast into the part. That strip of plastic is designed to keep that peg spread apart to prevent the peg from wearing too loose over time. My guess is that they were trying to avoid the fiasco that the at-te suffered with its pegs being so loose from the factory that the legs would fall off. Unfortunately, this design makes the peg way too tight and with temperature changes parts have a tendency to contract or expand which, in this case, would prevent the peg from spinning at all and ultimately cause the break in the other joint.
What I did is I took my hobby knife and cut that little strip of plastic inside the peg in half which gave it more room but I left those pieces inside so that when the peg flexes that those two ends would bump together and still prevent the peg from getting too loose. The peg now spins with the normal amount of force that it should take but is plenty ridged enough to hold each position around the octagon shape of the peg.

This part should be good to go now.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 03:11:21 AM »
Well Clint that is one slick fix my friend. Just awesome. I wish we had you on the design team.

Check out my comments on the front page.

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
ok my son's did the same but in 3 pieces! Clonehead help if you can!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Its high time I emailed my hasbro contact as this is too widespread to be a few isolated incidents. I will include this thread link in my email. All they can do is not respond right?

Remember folks, Hasbro also has a customer service email and phone number you can access off their site I do believe too.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:38:55 PM by Tamer »

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
Its high time I emailed my hasbro contact as this is too widespread to be a few isolated incidents. I will include this thread link in my email. All they can do is not respond right?

Remember folks, Hasbro also has a customer service email and phone number you can access off their site I do believe too.
And you know Tamer what is really silly is That Lucas doesn't really play with it. He is more a collector who displays his toys so for this to break is ridiculous!