Author Topic: Scenes from around the Boryla Sector - Outlands dio's  (Read 2262 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Scenes from around the Boryla Sector - Outlands dio's
« on: May 12, 2009, 07:05:43 AM »
Ok, I figured I'd do *some*thing, even if it's wrong.   ;D   I haven't made anything *I* consider to be a real dio, but here's one posing of my medical staff.  We've expanded a bit since then.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Scenes from around the Boryla Sector - Outlands dio's
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:16:30 AM »
Wow! Look at all of those FX-7s! I like where you are going with this, Doc. It's good for troubleshooting ideas.
Keep going, please.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
Yeah, it started as a smartalec game of oneupmanship in a serious discussion of first-aid kits.  Someone carries a Boba Fett fig in their kit as a way to focus a hurt kid on something other than the injury.  So I added an FX-7.  It escalated from there, and included an uparmored hummvee medic-wagon in Iraq (the poster was stationed there at the time and really was a medic - so we let him count it as a first-aid kit).

All in all, I started breaking out all the medical gear I had for SW figs...and realized I had a fair bit!  So I decided I needed to concept-space a medbay.  I think it will end up being a good deal smaller than the sprawl in the pic, but setting everything up like that has let me get a feel for the visual spacing I need.

It has also led into the concept of a Rimsoo dio... 
(Rimsoo is from a pair of novels - is the phonetic pronunciation of RMSU - Republic Mobile Surgical Unit...basically the were a couple of books on a SW MASH unit.  Very nicely written and have TONS of customs potentials and dio ideas.  Imagine a MASH surgical tent scene, but populated with armored clones on the tables with FX droids and alien doctors working on them...  CRAP!!  I need a dustoff Larty now!)   ;D

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:35:50 AM »
Dude! I love the RMSU idea! You have got to work on a scene like that! Naturally, I'm partial to clones but the idea sounds really cool!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »
This would make a killer Echo Base medical scene!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
I think what makes the Echo Base medical scene are the furniture props and white walls.  The walls shouldn't be hard - I've seen some killer Hoth walls this past week.  The furniture, tho...  The good thing is that I can reuse those props in pretty much any medical setting at all, from Hoth to Death Star to Rimsoo.  Don't worry - there'll be a Rimsoo surgical room dio.  Or two.  Or... well, we'll see.   8)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
http://fingerandtoe.com/octopad.html

This is a paper model by Finger & Toe Models, available via  RPGNow.com for $4.  You may have read my review of the Slagtown: Watchtower model over in my 'Station b'Log - this is from the same guy. ( I'm working on assembling another of his models, a heavy bunker.)  You'll be seeing this Octopad show up as a rooftop airspeeder platform - or maybe even hanging off the side! - of one of my styro creations.  With the 12" pad, it'll seat most of the SW, TCW, and Joe mini-rigs out there!  (Yes, I separate SW and TCW into separate entities...)

Jules, this guy has done most of your work for ya!!  ;D

(I have an affiliateship with RPGNow, so if you click on the link and buy, I get store credit - which is really great!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:01:26 PM by DocOutlands »

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:41:10 AM »
what a brilliant idea!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:41:03 AM »
I need to start a thread for writing up reviews of the paper-models I find and test.  A couple of the ones I've already gotten and messed with would be more than suitable for those of us who build dio's and do photo-shoots for photonovels and the like.

This Octopad should actually hold the ROC Cobra Gunship, even if a bit of it ends up hanging over the edge.  I need to get it bought and built up, then we'll see how things look.   :D

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Great link...for $4 I wonder how he makes any money... Great ideas, I especially like the sci blocks.

Cheers Doc, I see you are back on form!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
Yeah, I gotta wonder that myself!  I did pull the trigger on the octopod and the gun tower (which looks suspiciously like a Rebel Hoth turret) this morning.  Now it's time to start experimenting!  Keke wants one on top of her garage...