Author Topic: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases  (Read 247862 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases
« Reply #705 on: June 20, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
   I got the third volume of Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing.  The collection is issues #35-42 written in 1985.
    The stories are very creepy. They're like short stories within a larger story. It's hard to explain really. You can take Swamp Thing completely out of some of the stories, and they would still be good horror stories. Swamp Thing meets John Constantine, who uses Swamp Thing to defeat various supernatural monsters. Along the way Swamp Thing discovers more of his powers. It's a very good volume. I'm half way through the series now, and I'm enjoying it a lot, so I might as well get volumes 4-6.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:21:28 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #706 on: June 21, 2017, 05:48:08 AM »
I am liking this swamp thing arc you are in now.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #707 on: June 21, 2017, 09:26:32 AM »
I am liking this swamp thing arc you are in now.
   Originally I got vol.1 for a reference and inspiration for my custom figure, but I really got into the story.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #708 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:46 PM »

I picked up this cool Emce Toys "Create Your Own Zombie" action figure customizing kit today at a little video game store in town. The figures are made from a material very similar to the kind usually found in vinyl model kits so they have some flex to them making parts swapping very easy (be careful not to tear the posts though).

Box back:

Box with front panel open:

The sculpting is very nice, especially the various heads (some of which are inspired by famous movie monsters such as "Dr. Tongue" from "Day Of The Dead" and the Hammer Horror renditions of the Mummy and Frankenstein's Monster). The kit comes with 3 articulated bodies (ball hinge shoulders, hinge elbows/knees/ankles, swivel head/hips/wrists), 8 heads, 2 additional sets of hands, and variant limbs (including severed limbs with exposed bones) that can be swapped around between the 3 figures for maximum customization. The kit also comes with 2 pretty decent brushes and some simple paints (I will use my regular paints to do the figures).

Contents of kit:

Variant parts and additional heads on sprus.:

The 8 heads that come in the kit (Hammer Mummy is last head on right in second row, Hammer Frankenstein's Monster and "Day Of The Dead" Dr. Tongue are the last 2 on the right of the bottom row:

I assembled the 3 figures in the builds I will use them as and all of the spare parts will go in my zombie fodder box for future zombies for my ever growing horde
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #709 on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »
Now that is pretty cool. I so need to go spread the news on this one. Thanks for the review Dan.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #710 on: June 23, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »
My awesome wife bought me some new much needed detail brushes today :)

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #711 on: June 24, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
   I got a DC ICONS Aquaman today. Like I've said before, I'm not a big comic guy, but some things I like, Aquaman being one. I remember watching the cartoon show as a kid, so when I came across this, I had to have it.
   It was released this same time last year in the DC collectables icons series. Aquaman is patterned after the Legend of Aquaman from the late 80's which is a slight update of the classic Aquaman. It is approximately 6 inches tall l. Same articulation you'd find with The Black series. Ball head, ball swivel shoulders, swivel jointed wrists. Swivel upper arms. Double jointed knees and elbows. Rocker ankles. Ball hinge hips. Double jointed abs, not a whole lot of movement on the upper.  Accessories 3 sets of hands; 2x fists, 2x grip hands, 2x open relaxed hands. Alternate head, with sonar telepathy wave effect,(pretty cool). And he comes with his Trident, spear.
  I gotta say I really like the overall sculpt. He has this fish scaled shirt, its really awesome. The head sculpt is simple, but nice. Both heads are the same.
   Paint apps are very nice. Eyes are well done. Hair has a slight wash. The fish scale shirt looks great. Its a orange color with a metallic like sheen. It looks like a freggin goldfish skin shirt. The face has a dull flat paint, which is great, looks like actual skin.

Complaints; I would like to have swimming hands, along with added neck articulation so you can pose him swimming. Other than that, I really like this figure. I'm really impressed with the overall quality.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:09:59 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
Pretty cool figure. Thanks for the review. Time to go share it.

I need to find some time this week to do Imperial Review Archive buttons for these new reviews I see popping up so we don't loose track of em.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #713 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »
I made up some review buttons for a few of these great reviews I found in here.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #714 on: June 27, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »

After walking to the library to pick up the book they special ordered for me ("Vostok" by Steve Alten), I decided to hit up the post office on the way home and grab a panel of the thermographic ink "Total Eclipse Of The Sun" stamps.

The thermographic ink goes from black to clear (the pic shows them in a trasitional state due to the ambient heat during the walk home) to reveal an image of the moon simulating the upcoming eclipse in August. I am not a stamp collector by any means but I love the concept and am a huge space geek.

Received an awesome belated birthday present from sgcaper of http://www.joecustoms.com today!

He recently went to Disney's Animal Kingdom park and picked up the Safari Ltd.-ish toob full of different miniature creatures from the planet Pandora (from Avatar) for me! This was a really nice surprise as this was something I really wanted being a huge fan of the flora and fauna from that movie.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:15:49 AM by The Spectre »

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #715 on: June 28, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »
Pretty cool avatar stuff Dan. I like those stamps too.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #716 on: June 29, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

My wife bought me these great articulated dinosaurs today at TJ Maxx. They are produced by a company called Lontic/Happy Kin Toys but released by several different distributors (this set was released by Kid Galaxy). I saw Happy Kin Toys products at Toy Fair last year but have never seen any of them in a physical store so it was pretty cool to find this lone set today.

There should be at least two additional 3pks available based on the other dinos shown on the box. I want to check the other TJ Maxx stores in the area to see if they have any different sets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:38:00 PM by The Spectre »

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #717 on: June 30, 2017, 05:40:39 AM »
Dan looks like photobucket is getting weird. I can't see any of your pics now.

I like imgur.com as photobucket got too much of a hassle for me to use the past year or so and loaded wonky.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #718 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
Picked up these 2 figures off ebay. Ted Williams and Carlton Fisk, both in the Hall of Fame.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #719 on: July 07, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
Picked up the 12" head-to-tail "Shin Godzilla" from Neca at thr TRU in Secaucus today.

Visit me on Facebook!