Author Topic: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases  (Read 249846 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Re: New, Non-Star Wars Purchases
« Reply #570 on: January 28, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I too remember liking that Tour of Duty Series. I have started up a library on Vudu for some of those types of things. And I am out of space to store dvds, vcr tapes, etc.

Unfortunately that's the problem with not going digital with movies. Having shelves for DVDs - less room for action figures. I do like having a physical copy in hand however. Oh well lol.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #571 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »
Still no "Kong: Skull Island" toys in my neck of the woods, but I still got some great stuff today.

At Wal-Mart I picked up another $25 Ultimate Batcave as the parts from it are so useful for diorama building.

This thing is packed with great diorama pieces. The 7" Bruce Wayne will join the one from yesterday in my Swap Shop.

I also found another Captain Marvel 2pk and a "Jurassic World" Allosaurus for $5 each.

This Captain Marvel set has much better paint apps than the one from yesterday. The Allosaurus will hang out with the one I got from Hasbro Toy Shop a few weeks back.

I had some 60% off coupons for Michaels so I grabbed some great Safari Ltd. items including a great little stone bridge.

The Raptor will join my ever growing pack. The bridge needs a repaint and will be used as a footbridge in an eventual fantasy diorama. The Good Luck Minis pack is full of great bugs and an awesome little green frog that will populate different dioramas.

At the K-Mart down the street from my house I scored 2 more 2.5" "World Of Nintendo" Metroids. These guys are getting really hard to find and I would still like to get 6 more.

More Metroids for the invasion! I now have 3 of the full sized ones and 6 of the miniature (juvenile) ones. I eventually want to get 6 more to have 4 hovering alongside each adult.

Finally, at the dollar store in Saddle Brook I picked up 3 pen/stylus combos to harvest the colored crystals from for my dioramas.

$1 dollar crystals? Yes, please :)

Here is hoping that the "Kong: Skull Island" stuff shows up next week.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #572 on: January 29, 2017, 04:35:04 AM »
That price on those Batcaves is awesome. I would probably pick one of those up myself if I see any. I see I finally have a bit of peg space cleared for Kong too. Nothing there yet either.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #573 on: January 29, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
Received an awesome package in the mail from the always excellent Cap of www.joecustoms.com!

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #574 on: January 29, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
Picked up a World of Nintendo Mario figure. This one is a variant of the one I have. This one Mario isn't smiling, his hands are open and it came with a question block accessory. I really only wanted it for the accessory, hope to get more question blocks to display.

Also picked up Super Mario Adventures, a comic that was featured in Nintendo Power. It was released as one big comic years ago which I have, but wanted to grab the re-release anyway.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #575 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38:40 PM »

My Toysrus.com order containing 6 of the "Sentinel1" ground assault exo-suits arrived!

Size wise, they are pretty nice. Standard height Star Wars and ME Joes fit in them very well. Taller Joes and most Marvel Universe figures will not allow the front piece to lower all of the way into position. The control joysticks are quite thick and too big for most action figures to grip so they will either get shaved down or replaced completely.

The exo-suits are a bit floppy without a figure in them. They stand up just fine, but the arms will not do anything but hang at the suit's sides unless supported by an action figure.

The missile launcher is very powerful, I test fired it and the missile went well over 12' and only stopped because it hit something. The launcher fits on any of the pegs on the suit's limbs and the left shoulder mount (right mount is a different shape and meant for the eyepiece). The shield can also be mounted on the same pegs via an articulated support. The support also has a backpack peg to mount the shield to either the included figure's or the exo-suit's back. Sadly, the shield does not have a handle for the figure to use it sans exo-suit. The oversized rifle can also be mounted on the suit's pegs. The rifle is way too big, like 6" scale.

The plastic the exo-suit is made from is very rigid but also extremely lightweight.

I plan on adding some hydraulic hoses going from the back to the limbs and repainting them either safety yellow or safety orange and using them as load lifters similiar to the Power Loaders from "Aliens". The rifles and pack in figures are going in my Swap Shop while the shields, eyepieces, launchers and projectiles will be repurposed for future customs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:42:45 PM by The Spectre »

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #576 on: January 31, 2017, 03:05:48 AM »
I was hoping you would let us know what you thought of these. Off to share your review!

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
    • Forceflow's Special Modifications
« Reply #577 on: January 31, 2017, 04:35:52 PM »
Size wise, they are pretty nice. Standard height Star Wars and ME Joes fit in them very well. Taller Joes and most Marvel Universe figures will not allow the front piece to lower all of the way into position. The control joysticks are quite thick and too big for most action figures to grip so they will either get shaved down or replaced completely.

Good info, and thanks for the review. I need to pick one up and do some modifications.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #578 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »
I have FINALLY found my first "Kong: Skull Island" items in the wild!

I grabbed the mega Kong but left the large vehicles (copter and patrol boat) as I have no use for them. They did not have the Creature Encounter sets (jeep/spider, boat/pterodactyl, shack/Skull Crawler) though, of which I want 6 of each.

I also got another Zombie-Viper 2pk in the mail as part of a trade with Dusty79!

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #579 on: February 01, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »
2x for the Batcave is sweet!  $25 a pop is amazing. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #580 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:12 AM »
I figured you would find some Kong stuff this week.

Hey, on that note, have you see the previews for Great Wall? I could see that getting you some good beasties if they do any AFs for it.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #581 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:36 PM »
I scored 2 of each of the different "Kong: Skull Island" "Creature Contact" sets at Wal-Mart on the way home from work today!

The spider is incredible! All 8 legs are ball jointed where they meet the body and the legs are stiff enough to hold the spider up almost 6" off of the ground. The sculpting is just beautiful. The paint, while good for a kids' toy, is a bit rough for an adult collector so they will be getting repainted. I plan on buying a lot more of these :)

The flying creature is a huge disappointment. The sculpting is very good, but the entire creature is just a mass of floppy rubber :( They should have at least put a wire armature inside the upper portion of the wings so you can pose the wings. I will not be buying any more than the 2 I already have.

The Skull Crawler is pretty nice. It has some great sculpting and the vinyl is comparable to the material used by Schleich. The paint is very well applied and the pose is dynamic. The only articulation is the opening/closing jaw. It would have been nice to have articulated legs at least. I will still pick up a few more of these.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:32:46 PM by The Spectre »

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #582 on: February 02, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
I figured you would find some Kong stuff this week.

Hey, on that note, have you see the previews for Great Wall? I could see that getting you some good beasties if they do any AFs for it.

They do indeed have some cool critters in that flick, too bad the only toys coming are from Hot Toys and they are only the human characters.

Visit me on Facebook!

Offline bubbavader

• Ensign
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #583 on: February 02, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
Have to put some long range feelers out for the spider.  Its too bad these are not on the WM site yet. 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #584 on: February 03, 2017, 02:41:58 AM »
And Dan scores again! Show off!

LOL! These do look nice. Bummer about the flying creature though.