Author Topic: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com YEAR TWO  (Read 46834 times)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 8/31/11
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 07:13:25 AM »
"STRONOX" VIDEO UPDATED IN "CUSTOMS I WISH I OWNED"

QUICK MESSAGE

I want to apologize to everyone for falling behind on our "Customs I Wish I Owned" postings. No need to worry, I have plenty of new customizers on the way for you all to check out. I have four new artists that I am preparing to introduce you all to in the weeks to come.

I also have a lot of new pieces to feature in our "Customizer Spotlight" with Star Wars custom action figures created by customizers Luke Sprywalker, Peakob1, Sillof, Omar Rivera, and two new additions created by kr2700/SWK Kustoms and Wraithnine who have been featured before in the "Spotlight".

To hold you all over, I just updated the video for Stronox in our "Customs I Wish I Owned" archives. Check out what he has been working on since I completed his last video.

STRONOX

Stronox is a 33 year old nurse from Pennsylvania. When he isn't parenting, he's either customizing figures, drawing, painting, reading, collecting toys, or gaming.

To check out the video click here:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2011/08/stronox-video-updated-in-customs-i-wish.html

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:26:35 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:09 AM »
QUICK ALTERATIONS

As you know I like to introduce the audience at our blog to quick and easy modifications that they can make to their existing action figures to spruce things up a bit. These two action figures are no different.

ULTIMATE BARRISS OFFEE

We really loved Hasbro's new VOTC Barriss Offee action figure, but she didn't have a very battle ready appearance. By combining elements of the Star Wars Saga 2002 Collection 2: Attack of the Clones #12 Barriss Offee [Jedi Padawan] and a few accessories from the new CW Barriss Offee, we were able to create the Ultimate Barriss Offee with an extra interchangeable head sculpt as an alternate head to the more somber head sculpt of the VOTC Barriss, a short cloak to go with the existing hood, and a battle action cloak too. I'm planning on adding an interchangeable right hand so I can keep using the magnet hand from the Star Wars Saga 2002 Collection 2: Attack of the Clones #12 Barriss Offee also.

She looks a lot more battle ready now.

I loved the head sculpt of the original Barriss and wanted to come up with a way to show off the hair of the action figure in this Ultimate edition.

With an Exacto knife I cut of the head of the AOTC Barriss and then used a drill and Dremel to give the head the ability to snap securely onto the neck post of the VOTC figure and have full articulation.

With all these accessories a lot of variations could be produced to enhance play.

SORA BULQ
with Articulated Knees

I boiled the original Saga 2 Sora Bulq action figure to remove his unarticulated legs and replaced them with the CW Eeth Koth legs instead. By boiling the two action figures in hot water for about 5 minutes, the plastic was soft enough to swap out the legs of the figure. I read that JACKOFTRADZE used the same technique with the legs of a Kit Fisto from the Target Geonosis 2-pack. I didn't have one in our fodder so Eeth Koth had to step in to make it happen. At some point I would like to replace the hard goods skirt with a soft good skirt when I find a suitable replacement.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:17:40 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Very nice, on the front page.

I am so behind in my customs thread. This is rock solid Brian.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »
Oh heck yeah, I love simple upgrades that make a figure 10x better! Great job, and thanks for telling us the exact parts you used.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
Thanks guys :)  The older head sculpt was way too nice to be so quickly replaced by the newer sculpt.  With a little modification, the old head made a perfect 2nd head to switch out whenever you wanted Barriss in battle mode while still maintaining the super articulation we all love so much.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
very cool Barris, simple but effective upgrade! love it

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
great mod on barris dd!!

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Great work on both of those Jedi.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »
Thanks guys!!

Offline Elias

• Lieutenant
    • Star Wars: Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 9/25/11
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
Look for me to be taking over this post topic going forward.  Dad is taking a backseat on the blog this year and I will be making more of the custom action figures this year.  Anyone who has been at the blog this past month will notice that I an starting to take over the weekly custom action figure post.  Dad is still customizing, but not at the rate of one a week.  He is starting to focus more on the "Customs I Wish I Owned" feature of our blog.  The videos are taking a lot longer to produce and he doesn't have time for both anymore.  He did make a really cool Jedi recently that I'll post soon, and he is making a really cool  Master Zao that he is almost finished sculpting.  I'll also post that figure when he's done, otherwise, I'll be the more prominent customizer at the blog.  Here is my post for this week.

GEONOSIAN JEDI
This Geonosian Jedi is a quick custom action figure that I made that required very little paint work, and just a small amount of accessorizing to complete. I used the skirt of a Clone Wars Eeth Koth, the Geonosian drone action figure from the exclusive Target 2-pack, the Jedi Robe from a CW Shaak Ti action figure, and the hilts of a G.I. Joe Storm Shadow action figure. I only had to paint the jewel blue on the waist covering of the Geonosian. Dad carved the bottom of the lightsaber blades with an Exacto knife so they slid in and out of the hilts with ease.

GEONOSIAN JEDI
created by Elias

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
The Geonosian looks good.  Nice photography and posing, too.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 04:45:23 AM »
Can't say how cool it is to see you taking over.  While I really enjoy customizing, I just can't produce at the once a week rate I did last year.  Elias wants to carry the flag going forward and I will do my best to help out in any way I can.  The blog just got to the point where it started taking up 20 to 30 hours a week to do and I don't have it in me anymore.  I feel much more comfortable making 12 figures a year as opposed to 52+.  I think I made more figures than Hasbro last year.  Thanks for all your visits and I'm sure Elias will get the same amount of support going forward.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 04:52:51 AM »
That ia a great looking figure! Never seen a Geonocian with this treatment before, great idea!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Just want to throw this up before I hop back on the road again in a few minutes.  It's a really long post so I don't have time to format it all at the moment.

MASTER ZAO

Head to the blog for the full breakdown:
http://customsforthekid.blogspot.com/2011/10/master-zao.html

A big thanks to Lucasclones for getting me the belt with pouches.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:46:23 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com 10/05/11
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:43 AM »
A few extra pics:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:00:56 AM by darthdaddy »