Author Topic: 2011 Rebel Transport Speeder w/ Ground Crew (TRU Exclusive)  (Read 10059 times)

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
2011 Rebel Transport Speeder w/ Ground Crew (TRU Exclusive)
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
2011 Rebel Transport Speeder w/ Ground Crew (TRU Exclusive)

Hello folks and thanks for clicking!
Hopefully you like the review, this and the other one are the first formal reviews I've ever done.

Here is a quick review of the new 2011 Toys R Us exclusive Rebel Transport Speeder wtih Rebel Ground Crew figure.  It's a repack of some parts from the much coveted SCRAMBLE ON YAVIN Battle Pack from 2009.  The pack was one of the most difficult toys to get that year and commanded a ridiculous price in the secondary market... until now (maybe)

Here are some relevant links to the toy, like what it is and what the 2009 release was like.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_personnel_carrier
http://www.rebelscum.com/TLCBPScrambleonYavin.asp

This retails for US$17.99 (OUCH!) here in the US.   I think $14.99 is pretty fair, and $9.99 would have me giddy with joy.  My obsession with the mundane aspects of the SW universe forces me to do stupid things, like driving around trying to find more of these for my collection.

Here's the box.  I usually could care less about the box.  I open it all and it ends up in the garbage or the recycling bin.

But this made me take notice.

Here's the back box text.

Instructions on the bottom on how to assemble the diorama.

The diorama assembled.  Yarders do better ;)
all kidding aside it's the nicest image of the Hasbro cardboard dios.

Here are some close-ups:

This image of the little guy running ROCKS.  My favorite!!!

A picture of his game card.

The set includes a figure, the transport, one die, and a game card.  Slim pickings for $17.99 :(

The figure seems to be an exact repack of the 2009 release to my eyes.

The cart is awesome, but probably not too screen accurate.  I don't care.
I love all the mundane backgrounders in the SW universe and there's not too many guys who aren't overtly violent or aggressive.  What most find boring my thirty-something brain finds awesome.

For those who don't have the 2009 version, the back opens up and can hold an astromech as well as some weapons.

A quick comparison between the 2009 and the 2011 re-release:

The re-release has a "N" on the yellow console, while the original is blank.  Also, on the bottom of the 2009 version is some engraved numbers, which the TRU version does not have.

The figure appears the same as the original.  If you find anything different, please let me know!

I need to get more of these guys.  I have five but I need tons of these.

A quick shot of my beloved rebel crew:

Overall: 
PROS:  Hasbro re-released a direct copy of the set everyone's wanted for years now. YAH!  Must have for ANH completists and hangar dioramas.  Cheaper than buying the loose figure online alone!
CONS:  It's $17.99 and a TRU exclusive.  It's not a main character.  Red Leader and his astro are not included... plus the Battle Pack with two figures, a droid, and their ride was $23.99 in 2009...

Highly recommended for those who missed out on the 2009 release.  If you have the BP version you're not missing anything... but how can you resist these guys?  They just look great servicing the Falcon or X-Wings in your home hangar.  I like many others will be hunting down more of these, as many as I can find.  This is one that I think will be hard to get, especially since his casemate is the Genosian Warrior and speeder, and I can't see those selling through anytime soon.  There was at least ten of them in the store when I picked this up.  Best get this now and avoid future disappointment/price gauging.

I really wish HTS would offer this figure in groups of five in baggies like they did years ago with stormtroopers.  Actually HTS would clean up if they made "army builder packs" in plain cardboard boxes.  Five troops per box.  Offer this Rebel Ground Crew, the Rebel Fleet Trooper, a mix of the recent Rebel Hoth Trooper variations, the Imperial Navy Officer, Stormtroopers, TVC Phase I Clones, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers, Biker Scouts... People would eat these up at the right price ($20-25 per set) just like they ate up those packs years ago.  Cheap and easy money.

cheers and thanks!!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: 2011 Rebel Transport Speeder w/ Ground Crew (TRU Exclusive)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
OHHHHHHHHH! You sicken me with all these ground crewman!  >:D :'( just kidding! I would love to have these guys and I hope one day we see this guy on a single card! I hope to get 2-3 of these a TRU. I wish the set had a second figure and sold for $22-24, it would be well worth it to me.

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:35 PM »
OHHHHHHHHH! You sicken me with all these ground crewman!  >:D :'( just kidding! I would love to have these guys and I hope one day we see this guy on a single card! I hope to get 2-3 of these a TRU. I wish the set had a second figure and sold for $22-24, it would be well worth it to me.

Oh man... didn't mean to give anyone crew envy ;)

I managed to get an extra one loose on ebay when the set first came out for $3-4, and the rest I got from Our Man In The Philippines a few months back.  I wish I hadn't gotten some of the other figures I got in that order and just went all ground crew.  Hopefully people won't feed the scalpers and make this thing another Wedge situation.

If this guy doesn't go to a Saga Legends card by 2013, someone at Hasbro should lose their job.  Straight up.  People are dying to get this figure in any way they can!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
Nice review and lovely pics. I did manage to find 1 of the 2009 bps including this figure and vehicle but wouldnt mind picking up another.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »
Now I wish I *had* made the looooong drive to that Target w/ the TRU right around the corner today.  I want this guy.  I want him in large numbers!

Offline clone10

• Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
Awesome review man, I definitely will be getting a couple of those.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
Very good, very thorough review.  The only problem is, I keep seeing your title and get all excited that Hasbro snuck a fast one past me and debuted a BMF Republic Troop Transport!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »
Excellent review and on the fp.

I will try to find some time to work on some new Imperial Review buttons and this one will definitely go there.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »
Sweet review. I just picked this guy up to go with my Wedge X-Wing I got at Target a while back.

Offline safewing

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
Is it just me or does the face look like Ryan Stiles from 2 1/2 men????

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
Is it just me or does the face look like Ryan Stiles from 2 1/2 men????

Ha!  I agree!
It's totally him!

(except I know him from the movie Hot Shots, cause I'm old ;) )

Offline safewing

• Cadet
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »

Ha!  I agree!
It's totally him!

[/quote]

Yeah I remember him too from Hot Shots................just thought I'd keep it real for the younglings :)

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »

Ha!  I agree!
It's totally him!

Yeah I remember him too from Hot Shots................just thought I'd keep it real for the younglings :)
[/quote]
Nice man!

I'd figure I'd add that the Ground Crew body easily fits heads from various SW troop figures of the past few years, like the Hoth, Endor, and Fleet Trooper soldiers, as well as a few other figures.  The Ground Crew head however needs a little modding to fit on the various other bodies.

Spookymufu

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
I remember him from The Drew Cary show......

I have a feeling I'm going to miss out on this set (again)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 02:01:28 AM »
Imagine this beauty of a small vehicle in TVC packaging! A befriended trader of Star Wars figures from Cologne told me that he found those on clearance at Toys "R" Us in the United Kingdom a decade ago. It was after a convention there. Some boxes weren't in great shape, but they were only 10 GBP, so half price!
He sold me the last one he had for just 20€. I really hope Hasbro gives the tooling for this vehicle another run and add it to The Vintage Collection. The prices on eBay just for the Ground Crew is between $40-60 USD nowadays. Lucky enough I got a second set loose for just 25€ a few years ago, which I use as reference for current project.

Thanks for the review! I really miss the days of small and medium class vehicles.
I'm glad you found them a bigger amounts back then. I never saw them at retail, but back then I went to high school and didn't go to Toys "R" Us too often.