Author Topic: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office  (Read 51978 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Boryla Sector, Outlands Station - Admin Office
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
Yahoo!!  My new tredwell came in by courier today!  Turns out, I also have a container sitting at the freight station that was too big for the courier to deliver.  I'll make a trip in-system tomorrow with one of the system freighters to pick it up.  I'm trying to NOT wonder what it could be, but the only thing I am expecting which would be *that* large is a salvage-lot of antique mini-rigs!!  I'm absolutely shaking in anticipation.  I have restoration projects in mind for several of them already and I can't wait to get started!

The Tredwell checked out fine and I've already put him to work around the 'Station.

I put the final touch-up of primer - I think - on the ASP and set the body aside to dry for ~72 hours.  The face got its first shot of paint - I used the metallic blue.  The sniper cloak has been first-shotted, inside and out, with ultra-flat OD.  Wow!  It is seriously impressive.  I saw a Leia fig on the 'Net, and it confirmed my suspicions that the cloak is indeed from one of the first Leia releases.  I need to get another one so I can try Clint's cloak-making approach on it.

One of yesterday's wins was a Zutton fig.  He's so small-looking!  So now I have to fish out a young Annikin and see if a repaint will change his looks enough to let me create a generic preteen/young teen fig in something *other* than Jedi or Tatooine clothing.  Sheesh.

I had a refinement/extension of my contest idea for the 'Yards.  I hate to commit it to photons, because I'm afraid the 'Station's system may be compromised.  I'll just say it involves an existing figure of mine, one - preferably two - cantina bar sections, a dio wall and floor, a standard door (as opposed to a blast- or pressure-door), and a custom-cut stencil.  And paint.  Lots of paint.

I had an idea for a mini-rig conversion/custom.  I'm just going to throw this out as a place-holder type entry.  Start with an MLC-3, preferably one with damaged/missing cannons and canopy.  Separate the hull sections to access the guns-mount and in their place install a pair of arms from a Probot.  There are two arms that are fairly matched for length/proportion, but are in different poses.  Ideal for the project.  I'd love to work out a way to allow the arms a ball-socket mount, like they have on the Probot, so as to grant a degree of articulation/poseability.  And repaint it, of course.  Something like Tractor Green, maybe.  John Deere in space!  I'd love to use some ultra-fine-grit sandpaper to make little anti-skid pads on parts of it, like on a trackhoe.

Maintenance should have the Assembly Platform ready to be moved very soon.  I went down and helped today.  Amazing how much junk a flat surface will attract.  In fact, I managed to find some important paperwork - that has been missing for several weeks - buried on it.  We're making noticeable progress with it.  Once it gets moved, I'll be able to work on the more delicate parts of my own projects.

Met has informed me we are heading into a fairly severe solar storm sometime in the next 12-24 hours and it should last some 72+ hours.  This may prevent the relocation of the Assembly Platform.  Doesn't that just figure?

Put together a door mockup to check visual dimensions against a human fig.  Looks like a doorway 4.5"x2" is the point to start from.  If only I had a straight section of bar-top!  Two curved sections might work, but 2 curved plus a straight would be excellent.

Threw a party for the minions after shift this evening.  Grilled nerf patties and veggies and bread - good stuff!  They loved the attention and "special time."  I think we're going to kick that spewkworm infestation.  One minion seems to have kicked it on her own already and the other one is slowly pulling thru.  I think she was allergic to the meds we used, so I ordered her meds changed.  So after the feast, we all piled up in the rec-center for an impromptu concert and then some Battlefront action.

Gotta go shut down what minor production we've got going in Workshop-2 and then I'm off-shift myself.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 06:06:36 AM »
Mmmmmmmmm nerf patties.
Good to hear that the family is getting better.
I am curious to see your contest photo, Doc. I had a feeling that you had something special in mind.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »
Boy that does sound like an interesting photo idear.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
whats a nerf patty. . .ahhhh, nerf herder.

Man . .. what just happened, did I just cross the line into geekdom?

crap.

dig the write ups, off shift, I've had trouble getting off shift all week and have read pretty much this entire board, :)

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »
Man . .. what just happened, did I just cross the line into geekdom?

Yes.  Yes, you did.   ;D

crap.

Indeed.   ;D

Y'all, it was like opening the Ark of the Covenant!!  (well, without all the faces melting and brains exploding Wrath-of-GOD type stuff...)  THREE of the MLC-3 mini-tanks!!  ALL had intact guns!  An MTV-7.  A non-exploding Hoth radar-dish gun.  An INT-4 with (loose) nose gun!!  An Endor Forest Ranger with one wing-gun missing!  Aaaaaaaand - a COMPLETE Sail-Skiff!  I've never owned one!  And never had a Ranger to play with!!

I have a teen-aged female figure (Golden Compass, iirc) who will most likely be getting a Ranger airspeeder as a Lifeday gift.  Suitably repainted a bright Hyacinth or Tangerine color, of course.  The light lasers on the nose can stay, but I think the remaining turbo-laser on the wing will have to be removed.  For permitting purposes, after all.  We have to protect the children, you know.  Maybe something else yummy will come in *today's* mail!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Good deal, buddy, you got your goodies.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »
*sigh*  Nope, nothing in today's mail.  But that's ok - I got a Tredwell in my mailbox yesterday and picked up the monster box of minirigs today, plus a couple of cans of clearance Krylon "Cloud City" colors - Tangerine and Hyacinth.

Sat down with 4LOM and put a coat of Folkart's "metallic sequin black" on his head over the primer.  After this dries, I'm going to come back with a "heavy drybrush" of silver.  Then we'll add in the "olive pearl" for his eyes.  I think that should suit him nicely.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
Glad to hear your goodies arrived. Tangerine? You serious?

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
Tangerine, seriously.  Heck, it was marked down to $2 a can! 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
Tangerine, seriously.  Heck, it was marked down to $2 a can! 

LOL. I can't argue with the color choices I have seen you use so far.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
I'm game, lets see it.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
Well, I figure I'll find an airspeeder and paint it up in Tangerine for some teenage girl-fig...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »
I had an even better idea for using the Tangerine... just hang onto your hats, everyone.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
Some days, life just sucks.  Most of them are days that I wake up with a headache that progresses downward into a migraine.  Days like today.  So, I do the best I can to find fun stuff to at least partially offset the nastiness.

Today marked the application of primer to Operation: Tangerine Dream.  No point buying a paint you never use, right?  So there's the "how the #&!! are you gonna fit THAT color into a SW fig?" taken care of. 

Bren and KeKe are fighting over Assembly Platform 1.  She has an MLC-3 she's brush-painting (burgandy, I think) and he is starting in on his first bounty hunter.  They now understand why I want AP-1 relocated to Workshop-2, as I have to keep making trips down there for supplies.

We managed to secure a couple of older 'ships for the station, one small shuttle and one larger cargo shuttle.  We got them from a salvage-yard on the other side of the sector, so we're arranging for them to be delivered by courier.  We expect to see them sometime in the next week or so.

One of my buds involved in prop/costume-armor creation turned me onto smooth-on.com as a source for flexible casting supplies.  This should let me make all the belts for my sniper squad.  If it works out well, I might start making standardized custom belts of my own design. 

Rebe came home with two of the new ESB Wave Legacy figs and a U-3PO repack of a Kashyyyk Trooper.

I really don;t know if I'm going to accomplish much else today, as this headache has me just flat useless.  Which sucks, given the # of irons I have in the fire right now.

Well, we'll see.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
I used to get those, Doc. BC powder or alcha seltzer used to be my only relief.