Author Topic: Screaming Samurai Studio: Back to the Basics  (Read 8677 times)

Offline ScreamingSamuraiStudio

• Lieutenant
Screaming Samurai Studio: Back to the Basics
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
Hello to everyone out here in the Shipyards.
  This one isn't a toy, but an actual model kit.
  And a quick review..there really isn't much that you have to do to these to really make them look good. I think they go together extremely well and glue is only required on a couple of stubborn seams. I always choose to repaint them to get rid of the mass produced toy-like appearance of the pre-painted schemes. Once completed, most of these kits look great on the shelf and all of them are great for custom paint jobs.
  Anyway, on to what I did here..

This is the sample for the model workshop I get to host on August 13, 2011 at the San Antonio location of HobbyTown USA. Everyone in attendance gets to work on the same kit, but customization is encouraged. More details later...

Here's a shot of the cockpit. I decided to go with a green interior to simulate some fighters I've seen.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:38:46 AM by ScreamingSamuraiStudio »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Screaming Samurai Studio: Back to the Basics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
Sweet looking paint job on that model. I look forward to hearing more about that Model Workshop too. Take lots of pics! Your update is on the fp.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
Greetings, Y'all
   Looks like I get to hijack this forum and keep all to myself for awhile.
   I've had to take a momentary shift back to models for a bit. It was inevitable since I started working at a hobby shop that boasts the largest selection of science fiction models this side of the San Antonio River....

Ahem..excuse me, I was digressing.

Anyway, another side project has started and I'm in a mad dash to get things done before the deadline of March 1st. That side project is our new zygote that my girlfriend and I confirmed last Friday. So, between work and what's to come later..we'll see how much modeling or painting gets done around here.
  I'll have a few more pics of what I've been working on soon, but the other big announcement I have is for August 13th. I was pleased to discover another Shipyarder in San Antonio, so I figured I should go ahead and mention the Demo that I get to host on that day at our local HobbyTown.
  I will be sitting around from 12:00 - 3:00 that afternoon to work on some models and show you how to work a simple subtractive wash..and a whole lot of general goofing around that will all be Star Wars inspired but the same techniques apply to all genres.
   ANYway..blah blah blah..I know..

Peace out!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Hey Triple S it is good to hear from you and that is just awesome news! Congratulations!

As far as your gig in San Antonio that is just awesome too. If you want to post some info here

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?board=71.0

and create a thread for it and give us some pics I will definitely front page post it and try to spread the word for you. That is just great news too. HobbyTown Demo. Sounds right up our alley.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »
Hey great to see you here! Don't know how I missed the previous post but that is a great looking model/paint work! Congrats on that potential modeler coming down the pipes! Great to hear from you when you get time my friend.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
Hey there, y'all..

Okay well, the Annual Model Contest for the store has come and gone. For those of you in-the-know, I posted some of the pics and winners of each category on my FB page this past weekend. (8-22-11)
Things have been kinda crazy and hectic around here and mostly everything I had been working on came to a halt. I felt like I disregarded some major chores last night, but I needed a break and jumped on my Millennium Falcon cut away model.
  I am at a point where I need to shelf this one again and gather up some much needed lighting supplies, but I got a good feel for what I am going to do as far as painting this piece of junk. The goal is to have this lit up and to have this shoot some intermittent smoke out of the back engine grill..
  Anyway...That's the IDEAL way to do this..We'll see what I end up with at the end. I will try to do this with the big Millennium Falcon Internet Group Build. This will also be featured as my first video tutorial series on Youtube..a Series that may actually LOOK like a series comparable to ModelManTom and ScaleModelAddict. My son needs a project for school and i may be his guinea pig.
  ANYWAY....I digress again

The PICS!
First layer of washes

Second layer including the red oxide panels and grey panels...but I gotta be me and do the different shades of aluminum instead.

And the interior detail

A video this weekend..

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 04:39:38 AM »
Looking good so far, sss! I like the look of those red oxide panels. Not too harsh but more of a suggested tone.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:41:27 AM »
Sweet, a tutorial!

On the front page as will your video be once you make it. I can't wait to see how you finish this off.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Hey, Tamer and Clonehead..
  Thanks as always for checking out what I've been working on. I have a few more pics tonight for ya. I have drilled some of the larger holes for the lights and went ahead and ran with a test fit.

The walls are dry fit with some masking tape, and mind you things look pretty bland in the cabin right now, but just wait till I add the next layer of lights that will include fiber optic strands..the goal is to get them to NOT look like the buttons were laid out by Helen Keller..

Anyway..the pics.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
I AM SPEECHLESS  i wish you had more time i cant wait to see the finished product

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »
Wow. Doesn't look like Helen Keller to me!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
Freakin awesome man! I have this along with a few other models I hope to get to one day...

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 05:44:09 AM »
I realized that I have been posting in the wrong forum for models..

While I do a half-a$$ed review as i build the kits, it's not my focus. I have posted some new models in the Models and Scratchbuilds forum that include Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter and a P-51b Mustang flown by Capt. Lee Archer of the Tuskegee Airmen.
  I'm also geared up for the official start of the internet-wide Millenium Falcon Group Build. I will post my work in progress here at the shipyards and only the shipyards but post the finished results here and over at ScaleModelAddict.com.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:48:12 AM »
Sounds great to me. I will try to get the wip updates on the fp and on fb where you latest update is now.