Author Topic: NFL 2011  (Read 10948 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: NFL 2011
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Shawn, as you well know, I'm an underdog fan for sure, and even though the Lions are Division rivals of my Bears, I am excited to see them kick some serious ass.  Even the Bills have been highlight reels lately, and spanking Brady like that made it that much better.

Watching my Bears today, and they're playing a very balanced, well thought out, patient game, and it's paying off for them.  I kind of figured they'd come out this week, at home and being down 2 games in the Loss column, and put on a good show, and I'm not disappointed.  Even as I type this, Hester just returned a punt for a touchdown.  Then he decided to act like an assbag and overcelebrate in the end zone, earning a 15-yard penalty on the kickoff.  Sadly, for my Fantasy teams, I need Steve Smith on Carolina to start catching some TD passes and make this a closer game.  As long as the Bears win, I don't care how high the score goes!

From around the rest of the league, I feel the need to chime in on Vick's comments last week about him getting hit late and no calls coming in for those.  While I don't agree with blaming others during a press conference, I do agree with his sentiment.  Unless your last name is Brady, Manning, or Brees, you will not get fair calls in the backfield that should come.  Granted, I think QBs are way too overprotected and should be able to take a good hit, but if you're going to institute rules to protect them, they need to be adhered to.  What Vick was saying is that he was getting hit late, after the pass, even helmet to helmet, and was not getting those calls.  They were discussing it on NFL Countdown on ESPN this morning, and one of the commentators had a good point: EVERYONE carries personal feelings.  Whether they like Vick, dislike Vick, or indifferent of Vick, EVERYONE has their own personal feelings.  Be they doctors, garbage men, secretaries, or even NFL Officials, your personal feelings WILL bleed into your professional life.  And like it or not, there are going to be NFL officials who disagree with what Vick went to jail for and let those feelings dictate what they do.  What I DON'T agree with, is that Vick seems to think he's the only one being treated like that.  He's not.  Again, if Brady, manning, or Brees gets hit in ways they think is foul, all they have to do is stand up and throw their arms up at the ref and that ref HAS and WILL throw a late flag based on that QBs reaction.  They protect the marquee players and don't have the same consideration for the rest.  Just like your marquee Defensive players are watched with a closer eye to make sure they don't commit penalties, the lesser known players can get away some of the same penalties.  The NFL is concerned primarily with their marketing, and certain players market better than others. Those players will always get their way.  Period.  It's no longer entertainment, as it was originally designed, but instead a billion dollar corporation, concerned with making more and more money.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
Well I just got done mowing my grass even though I felt pretty lousy. I am seeing that Chicago/Carolina game is a good one. Ofcourse I can see it looks like my Steelers are still in the game even though it seems they lost what was evidently some momentum they gained in the second half. I still think my earlier prediction is still legite.

It look like the Bills are up even the Lions are making a game of it now. I think the surprise for me today was the see KC back today and I must say I feel a bit bad for McNabb. Looks like he doesn't have much left in the tank.

As for my feelings on Vick whining this week, it showed some cracks in his "I am a changed man" luster that he was preaching the last few years. I will reserve my overall comments till I see how he finishes the year now that he got another big contract again. As for late hits or getting fined for legal hits my favorite team seems to deal with it each week and while I think Rotrashburger is just that I don't hear him whining.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »
All I can say about today's Packer's game is 4 and 0 baby, Nice dominating win even with the mistakes they made, I just hope they don't get to cocky and over confident. Being in the division I can't believe Dallas crapped the bed so bad in the second half to let the Lions come back. That showing was pathetic. There were a few good to the wire games, expecially that Bills-Bengals game.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
I hate to admit it and all, but the Packers are definitely on track to return to the Super Bowl.  Then again, so are the freakin' LIONS!  What is this, anyway?  Bills and Lions, undefeated? 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »
Yepper if I had to piack a SB winner today it would be the Packers. Barring any horrible injuries to key players they should route just about anybody out there now I am thinking.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Holy crap, Shawn!  How about Worthlessburger having a career game today?!?!  3rd quarter and already 162 yards and 4 TDs?  Not a lot of yardage, but 4TDs?  You must be on the edge of your seat and screaming! 

I'm watching the the Saints/Panthers game right now.  Mostly because I'm a Drew Brees fan, and because I sat Drew Brees in Fantasy in favor of Cam Newton, who's almost doubled Brees' score the past 2 weeks.  So, I'm kinda hoping Newton does me proud, though it's not looking all that great for me yet.  He's not doing terrible, and only slightly behind Brees' performance, so I'm not that upset.

The next game in my area is the Jets/Pats game, one that I SERIOUSLY could care less about.  I'm an NFC guy, so I was hoping Fox would have a 3pm game, but not so much.  Of course, I have nothing else to do today, so I guess it's naptime during the Jets/Pats game.

Tonight's game should be a good one, the Packers against the Falcons.  I like the Falcons, for a variety of weird reasons...

1. I like their team colors.  They're fire department colors.
2. I like their logo and mascot.  Falcons are pretty sweet, and I'd love to own one!
3. Arthur Blank is an owner who cares about his players and fans, and puts out a good product for the city of Atlanta.
4. I'm a Michael Vick fan, who got his start in Atlanta.  Say what you want, and I am a dog lover who owns 2 pit bulls (never thought I'd be a pit owner), but he's a HELL of player who revolutionized the QB position.
5. I'm a Matt Ryan fan, and how can you NOT be?
6. They have a DL named Kroy Biermann.  Biermann was a linebacker last year, moved him to DL.  He's not that great, but his last name is the same as my late grandfather, so that puts him on my radar automatically!

Like I said, they don't make sense, but GO FALCONS!  LOL!

Then tomorrow night is my Bears against the undefeated Lions.  Anyone else out there thought they'd be using the adjective 'undefeated' to describe the Lions?  2 years ago they went 0-16, this year they're poised to go 16-0.  I know that it's WAY too early to call them contenders, but why not?  They only competition they have right now is the Packers, and I can't WAIT for that match up.  The bears can win if they remember to utilize their running game.  Forte can do wonders if the line does their job.  I know, "IF" is the operative term.  However, Matthew Stafford and Calvin "Megatron" Johnson are one Hell of a combo right now.  I'm nothing if not honest, and I can't say I have a lot of faith in the Bears tomorrow night.  The only thing that sucks about that is I have to work my part time job tomorrow night, so I have to hope no calls come in from 7-11pm.  I really have to plan my PT schedule better!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
Yes, ofcourse today would be the day I sat Rothy in one of my leagues and he has a career day. Geesh. Oh well, they stomped a winning Titans team so that gives me a bit of hope. I also saw what the rest of our schedule looks like and besides Baltimore and NE it is a pretty daggone wimpy schedule. Should get in the playoffs.

That being said, I agree with you on the Detroit and Bears game. It is gonna be a good one and who thought I would ever stay up late to watch the Lions, but I think I am.

I think the biggest team that has me stumped is the Chargers. They should be tearing it up, but for some reason loose or just barely manage to win. They are also out Gates so who knows what they will do too.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
Yeah, I have 2 reasons the Chargers are losing: Phillip Rivers and Ladanian Tomlinson.  The former is NOT the QB they thought he was going to be, being a terrible leader, whiner, and doesn't have what it takes to be a winner.  The former has plenty left in his tank, but they dumped him for 2 others who haven't replicated the numbers he had.

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
WEEK FIVE IS WHEN MY TEAM FINALLY STARTS TO DO SOMETHING???  I had the second highest score in the league!  Let's hope the good luck continues.
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 07:03:44 AM »
It was nice to see the Steelers show some life at offensive line last week. When Ben had a couple more seconds, even with a hurt foot, threw for five touchdowns. It was an awesome day pretty much on both sides of the ball. I hope that continues.

Kinda hard for me to believe that Detroit beat the Bears, but that is the win that shows me the Lions are for real.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I expected the Lions to beat Chicago, the Bears just seem like a mess, it is surprising to see them perform this season considering they played for the NFC title last season. I even hate to say Cutler is not the main issue as much as I dislike him, at least maybe this year he can shed the "not tough enough" label as he is getting pounded week in and week out. Forte is really the only saving grace for the Bears and they seem to under use him.   My Pack even has me worried as the offense is obviously the key and the main talent however the D is shaky, no real QB pressure and way to many 20 yard plus plays allowed. To me it would be scary to have a top 5 D and our offense. Now we have the Rams coming in and I just hope we to hell that the Pack doesn't crap the bed by overlooking them as they do have talent, they just haven't produced yet.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Good series of early games thus far. The Pack is alone at 6-0  :)   as the lions fall, Tamer's Steelers got past the Jags and I am even looking forward to the Bears Vikes game tonite.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »
So Wayne, you wanna be bold and predict the Pack will go undefeated?  I don't know, really.  I do love when commentators start speculating on their possible struggles due to their latest injury.  And yet again, no injury ever slows them down.  I hate to do it, but ya gotta give props where they're earned.

Settling in to watch my Bears take on the even more hapless Vikes tonight.  Bears NEED a win here.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
Nope I am not predicting 16-0   I realistically think 14-2 will be the mark at the end of the year barring any major injury, if we loose Rodgers It's over. I still think there is a big gap in the D and the O line right now though.

Offline RebelAce

• Wedge Antilles' Wingman
  • Lieutenant
  • "Good Luck! See you at the rendezvous!"
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
Thanksgiving is a time to be reflect on what we are thankful for.  This year I am thankful that my Cowboys will be playing the Dolphins.