Author Topic: Inspiration For Creating a Dynamic Custom--Character Development  (Read 2220 times)

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• TK-9849 of Garrison Excelsior
  • Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
There are literally thousands of amazing customs on the Yards created by equally interesting and talented individuals brought together by our singular, yet multi-faceted, passion. Having drooled over your figures, starships, dioramas, collections, paint-apps, castings, and sculptures I have also loved reading the back stories that sometimes accompany these brain children of our imaginations.

Whether we're reading something, watching films, re-imagining, or just bored at work and itching to get some plastic bashed together we are always finding new things to create. I'm not sure if there's a thread here yet based on what inspires us as individuals and creators but if there isn't there should be.

An open forum to discuss what we're thinking about, what influences we've found, where we want to take our talents, and what we are working on. I also want to put forth an ever evolving guide to creating a complete, dynamic, unique, custom with its own identity. Whether that be a character, ship, diorama, or whathave you. Back story can be key to this and can breathe life into a mere hunk of plastic. Just as how better photos can help us see what it is you, as the creator, see in your work, a back story establishes this creation as an individual with motives, and flaws, and life.

I really want everyone to chime in on how they write their back stories, their creative process (both physical and mental) and share tips and advice for creating a well rounded character. Also to talk about what inspires us.

Right now I've been re-reading the Dark Times series and the sheer uniqueness of the characters inspired me to, in part, create my crew of The Honest Liar.

"The Empire has a legion of loyal soldiers that are in endless supply."
"Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
"For the Empire!"
http://actionfigureempire.blogspot.com/

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Inspiration For Creating a Dynamic Custom--Character Development
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
I'm a writer and RPGamer (and now freelance RPG proofer/editor! yay!!) so I'm *usually* creating customs to illustrate a character I've already developed for a story or game.  I've also come at a figure custom (my Twi'lek swoop-racer) as if I were developing a character for a story.  I'm fascinated by the "non-core" background characters, the ones you see in the wide shots - the NPCs, if you will.  What looks "right" and blends into the setting?  What would NOT look right and would stand out?  Why is it there?  etc

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:33:55 PM »
AFE daggone fine idea. I couldn't agree with you more about the folks that have contributed here. It is like Christmas everyday for me when I log on in the morning.

As for me I lump my customizing into two areas: first and foremost is trying to come up with the best possible way to emphasis the talented inviduals we have here. Hence the Site itself is ever evolving and ofcourse there are more inputs than my own, but all of us have that main goal in common.

As for my physical customs I have done, which is very small, it comes mostly from getting inspired here at the Yards and by seeing some of the great media that is out there that is fan based. Ofcourse it comes from my Hoth background as a kid, but things like I.M.P.S. and seeing some of what the Yarders have created really do get me thinking. My kit bashed atat gunner is one of my favorite figures. I got inspired by Hemble and Clonehead and Sprywalker to get that one done. So, its still this place.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
I applaud this thread idea of yours, afe. Yes, there is an abundance of creative individuals here and the back stories that they create for their customs is amazing.
  I, however, don't really concentrate on a back story for a custom unless it is to be part of a diorama and even then, it's not necessary to me.
For me, building a custom is more about the aesthetics of how the parts, pieces, modifications,  and paint apps work together. I enjoy making things that have never been seen before or wish to have been seen. If a part or the whole of a project is a challenge to me, all the better.

Offline Mr.Mandalore

• Lieutenant
  • Galatic Marines, extraordinarly perfect.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:37 PM »
great idea on makin this thread.

i try to look at an existing figure and develop ideas by thinking where it belongs, as a jedi, sith, exc. to me it all depends on what the figure looks like, if it has a body armor to it, like some joes do. it it has a removable helmet. or just the general look.....sry if it confusing

i guess it just comes down to what the figure looks like before it is customized, and outside influences like t.v. show, pictures, and other figure. samething for the backstory also.

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
Glad you guys like the thread! One of the most appealing things about Star Wars has always been the limitlessness of stories. With a whole galaxy of beings there can be billions of lifeforms and billions of events, histories, lives, and deaths. That's what's so incredible about the expanded universe--it's ever expanding. The movies will always be the "holy grail" of the sagas, but the books, games, comics, toys, art, those can be created Endlessly.

Doc, I'd love it if you were to share some pointers on writing, as you are our esteemed resident scribe, and have made a career out of it for yourself. And I think we could all benefit from some refreshers as to what makes for an interesting character.

What are the most interesting characters and what makes them so captivating? If we can identify with them, see something of ourselves in them. If they seem as if they could really exist. Building a personality into them lets us see how they would react to the events that transpire over the course of their lives. Would you follow them into battle? Or fight to the death over what you believe in? Would you report them to the authorities? Or tell them where to get the best black market deals?

Star Wars borrows from many familiar motifs from western and eastern cultures. We have elements of the Samurai, gunslingers of the wild west, naval commanders and pirates of the high seas, knights of the round table, the rise and fall of fascism, the civil war, hundreds of influences to draw on. There are also traditional story telling techniques used as well. Perhaps the most obvious is that of "The Hero's Journey" which originated in Greek Mythology. This motif can be traced through the original trilogy in Luke's path to Jedi Knighthood. He begins his arc as a naive but well intentioned peasant (or Tatooine farmer) who is thrust into the world (the galaxy) by the two prophets (R2 and C-3PO). He seeks the guidance of the Oracle (Obi-Wan) who alludes to Luke's destiny as being of great things. They leave Luke's homeland and embark on a journey into the unknown (an Odyssey) along with the warriors (Chewbacca and Han Solo) who eventually find it in themselves to join Luke's cause. And so it goes. We see the rise of Luke's character as the hero. He wins a great battle but then he and his army lose the next. He must then learn from his teacher's teacher (Yoda). From there we see the hero's downfall. From which he recovers and saves his friends from the underworld (Jabba's Palace) and returns to his teacher again to learn his final lessons and the truths of his destiny. Armed with these truths he seeks the dark wizards in their lair and eventually redeems the apprentice and together they best the master. He is triumphant and has gone from naive farm boy to powerful warrior of the galaxy.

That's a very very abridged version but it's all there. "The Hero's Journey" is merely one story telling method and has been used over and over and we as humans never seem to tire of it. We can tell stories with our customs too. We need not wait for someone else to tell a story we want to see. And that's really what we do in a way. With customs we create what we want to see--improve what we see flaws in, create what hasn't yet been created.

Thanks for the responses guys! More food for thought!

"For the Empire!"

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »
AFE: terrific idea in putting up this thread!  Always interesting to hear others' thoughts on this process.

Personally, I usually don't spend much time developing a serious back story (and certainly haven't posted any yet), but I do consciously look at the head sculpts and accessories (the type of armor he/she wears, weapons they would use, etc.) to develop a mindset of where I want to go with a character.   I feel like I tend to be a very logical individual, so I enjoy the aspect of customizing that focuses on how logically the pieces I want to use fit together, whether movement in the joints will be hindered, and end up approaching a custom fig as a puzzle.  For me the character takes shape as a result of how well the "pieces of the puzzle" fit together.  I guess I may not have a particular character in mind when I set out to create a fig, but I enjoy the process of not knowing what I'll end up with when I begin to seeing the character "take shape" based on the logical flow of parts/accessories that go into the fig.

Similarly to Clonehead, I want to make sure the parts I've chosen to use fit aesthetically well, but once they do, that's when I develop a kernel of a story in my mind of what kind of items would be included with the fig (armor, weapons, etc.) to define the character, his/her motivations, and the like.  I like paying attention to these small details: it's kind of like leaving clues for your viewing audience....they might see what I was trying to do with my fig...or not!   :)

Again, great idea for a thread; looking forward to following how others view this process as well!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:41:45 AM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline ActionFigEmpire

• Brigadier
  • Action Figure Empire
    • Action Figure Empire
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
Thanks JediMerc! And also thanks for sharing some insights into your creative process! Aesthetics play a huge part in the customizing process. Sometimes it even makes it more challenging. Many times I've found a body to use but it doesn't fit the character's intended look, or it looks too familiar as another character, or it just looks unbelievable for that character. I totally get your points there! Also I find myself saying, "well I use that pauldron/helmet/cape/staff/etc. waaay too much!" Haha. I guess you have to have no shame as a customizer and just remember that each creation is unique unto itself. I love the challenge of not using any paint or sculpting on my customs. Whatever I do has to be able to be undone so my collection can remain intact and complete.

Random tip of the day: If you pop a head onto a slightly larger neck and your head stretches out and no longer fits your original neck, pop the stretched out head(s) into the freezer for an hour or two to get them to contract a bit. Also pinch them between your thumb and forefinger to reshape the neck socket.

Today I'm formulating an underworld street gang--a group of thugs from Narshadda or Courescant's under-city. Perhaps they work for a Hutt and work some neighborhoods for collections and shake down the tourists.

"For the Empire!"

Offline Jedi Minstrel

• Marshal
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
AFE, thank you for putting up this thread.  My favorite project was creating my tribute to Karen Traviss' Republic Commando series.  Obviously, media has inspired us to put some of our thoughts and efforts through the ringer;  what will it take to create my own Kal Skirata, will this paint scheme work, how much longer do I have to wait for another Boba Fett to hit one of my regular stores, etc.  Along the way, there have been other projects that come up.  One person, Trandoshanslaver1138, presented me with a challenge and the Mandalorian with a Samurai influence was created.  Then there is the reference to the American Civil War with a set of figures I'd done recently.  That was soon followed by a set inspired by Little Red Riding Hood.  Hood came to me because as a high school music teacher, I had to find a theme for our next marching band field show.  Next thing I know, I'm creating a SW set of figures based on an old tale.  Of course, seeing what others are creating inspires me.  The Yards has been a wonderful inspirational tool.  Lastly, one that is almost ethereal is when you begin by picking up a figure or a part and IT leads you to the next piece and the next and the next.  You finally have something you would never have created if you just thought about it all first.  I can't wait to see what else comes up.