Author Topic: Darth Optimus' Custom Nerdery! STRIDER HIRYU, fully kitted  (Read 133525 times)

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
Re: 05/03 NEW! 90's-style Bishop, the time-travelling X-Man in 1:18 scale!
« Reply #1020 on: May 04, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
well done !!!

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
Re: 05/29! NEW! Blade, the Daywalker and The Shadow! WOW!
« Reply #1021 on: May 29, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
Thanks, guys!  Bishop is still a WIP, but here are a couple a' finished figs!

First up is my "ultimate" version of Blade, the Daywalker.  This look in an amalgamation of his appearances in various media (hence the "ultimate" tag).  He's sporting three removable knives, a sword, two removable pistols and two scratch-built guns, body armor and stakes on his right leg and both arms.  the stakes on his arms have blue tips to simulate the "anticoagulant serum" seen to devastating effect in one of the movies.  I'd planned to make a scale folding glaive, but haven't as of yet.

Fairly easy build.  Head is Agent Jay from MIB, upper body is from a Jungle Duke from POC, arms from nearly every Storm Shadow released in any movie line.  the legs are from the Firefly that came with the luge.  Assorted greeblies round him out.

"Who knows what evil lurks I the hearts of men?  The Shadow knows.  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Second is The Shadow.  The Shadow is a pulp-era hero that spanned all sorts of media...comics, radio dramas, novels, serialized films.  The Shadow is a masked vigilante superhero with psychic powers, including but not limited to telekinesis, clouding the mind's around him, and appearance alteration.  He's also the inspiration for many more-recognized superheroes, including the Batman. I know of him from the 1994 movie starring Alec Baldwin as the title character.  The movie is kinda hard to find, but it is one of my favorite superhero flicks.   

This custom was super easy.  The body is an Agent Jay from MIB, hands from the parts bin, head from unmasked Firefly from GI Joe: RET, hat is a cast from Indy, pistols are from modern Joe BATs.  The scarf is cut from a vintage SW Imperial Guard and holds its shape nicely.

That's all for now.  Thanks for tuning in!

Offline Hanzo_the_Razor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1022 on: May 29, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Love that Blade. He is one of my favorite Marvel characterS, wish he was as big as the rest of the Marvel "regulars".
“Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Logen Ninefingers

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
« Reply #1023 on: May 29, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Thanks, Hanzo.  I'm a fan as well.  I'd like more movies, either a continuation or reboot, but with the same "R" mentality of the first three.  Sadly, I don't think Marvel will do "R" rated movies anymore.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1024 on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
Wow, awesome update. That Blade is awesome and looks like he could dish out some major punishment. That is a perfect Shadow too. You might make me go back and watch those movies sometime next week. Off to the front page.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #1025 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »
Amazing works!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #1026 on: May 30, 2014, 02:18:09 PM »
I love th both, but The Shadow is crazy retro.  Very cool.  Nice job on both.   Thanks for the recipes.

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1027 on: May 31, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »
Excellent work, the Ultimate Blade is super cool with all the additional weapons, while the Shadow is sweet.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #1028 on: May 31, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
Nice work on that Ultimate. Blade...I'm really interested in how your Bishop is going to turn out.  Nice choice on the Thorin head sculpt, I might have to steal that idea if/when I ever get to a Marvel custom.  (SW customs take up most of my time...when I have some.)

Great concepts and execution here!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
Re: 06/11 THE GHOST RIDER! The Spirit of Vengeance rides!
« Reply #1029 on: June 11, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »
Whenever innocent blood is spilled, the Ghost Rider appears!  Dispensing unflinching vengeance with his enchanted chain, hellfire-spitting shotgun, mystical fire-breathing motorcycle and soul-searing Penance Stare, the Ghost Rider is a force to be reckoned with.

Ultimate-version Ghost Rider, in classic black/grey leathers with updated paint apps to bring out a little detail.

Alter-ego Johnny Blaze, stunt cyclist supreme, in classic blue racing leathers.

Both sides of the mirror.

These are the cornerstones of my Ghost Rider: Forever line.  The line will include several versions of GR, allies, aligned characters and villains.  Some of them will be established characters, but most will be original creations. Thanks for tuning in!

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Re: The Ghost Rider! The Spirit of Vengeance rides! 06/11 NEW!
« Reply #1030 on: June 11, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
Those are both sweet figures!

Would you be open to sharing your recipe with us?
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline ghostskull18

• Brigadier
  • "customs that are so good, they're scary"
« Reply #1031 on: June 11, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
Wow AWESOME WORK!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #1032 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
AWESOME.  I love it.  I really love the fact that you went the extra mile and made a johny blaze to go with it.  

The bike is also phenomenal.  Great interpretation of the character.  

I like how you threaded wire through the chain to be able to pose it, nice touch!

Did you sculpt the bones on the bike?  And did you make the flame effect for the back of the bike, hot glue? (I recognize the front flames as the mcquarrie fett flames).

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
« Reply #1033 on: June 12, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
Awright!  Thanks for the love, guys.  Here are the recipes (both are super simple):

Johnny Blaze is the Storm Shadow that has come in every wave since Rise of Cobra.  The head is a Joe Blowtorch.  That's it.

The Rider is uses 3/4 of the same body.  The lower legs are from a 25th Roadblock, I believe.  The skull is a cast from my buddy Sanitarium Customs, with the MU GR head flames attached.  The spikes are toothpicks tips.  The belt is fodder-built.  The holster for the shotgun is cut from a length of leather-looking material.  The Penance Stare effect is the laser effect from a Super Battle Droid and the shotgun blast is a SW blaster effect.  The glow in the Penance Stare was achieved by shining a laser pointer into the effect while snapping the pic.

The bike sports the same skull cast as GR, modified for an open mouth look.  The flame breath effect is the one from the McQuarrie Concept Boba Fett.  The rear flames are from the RC/SBD comic pack.  The bike itself is one I picked up from Walmart (a Harley, I think) and the bones are from a Halloween skeleton light decoration.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #1034 on: June 12, 2014, 08:43:56 AM »
Wow, that is awesome. He looks good riding on our front page.