Author Topic: Germany - Moritzburg, Saxony  (Read 10839 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Germany - Moritzburg, Saxony
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
What's going on and Germany and the rest of the World...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:38:13 AM by Darth More »

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
Re: Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »
well you can go to the big LEGOLAND event in Günzburg this weekend, then from 18-19th June visit the SciFi days in Grünstadt where you can meet me BTW, I will be there showcasing some of my stuff ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:11:47 AM »
Sweet, take us a few pics and post em in the Convention section. I will do some fpers on it!

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
okay, sure, I'll take my camera with me :)

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »
May 4th 2019 deals...

A friend of mine made me aware of the deals from Amazon.de (Germany) on Saturday morning. A selection of Star Wars items were on sale as "daily offer" and  here are some examples:

Don't worry, at the end I checked out with 4 items...not 14.

Some vehicles on sale here...I had not seen the Imperial Combat Assault Tank any cheaper than 70,99€ here in Germany anywhere before. Apparently they sold out at that price quickly!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:26:48 PM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
So here is what I got on May 4th, 2019. I was waiting for Amazon.com to drop prices, too. But NOTHING happened! If I had known that before, I would've ordered Boba Fett and Bossk from the TBS Archive Line, too! Smyths Toys sells them for 26,99€.
I was extremely surprised that there were NO special deals on Amazon U.S. at all on May 4, 2019! But to be fair, the prices for several Star Wars (Hasbro) items have been at a very low level for days and even weeks!

Other than that I did not go to an actual store on Saturday. Smyths Toys had a special promotion for May 4th, but only for LEGO...

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 02:08:49 AM »
The cheapest Black Series 6 Inch figure I could find that day was Kylo Ren, which sold for 8,00€.
Even Kylo sold out for that price.

The one and only Vintage Collection figure that was part of the May 4th offer, is the Scarif Trooper! It was reduced to 15,00€ and sold quickest of all offers!
By now it’s back in stock for 18,99€. I’m surprised how quickly Amazon can restock their assortment sometimes. Klaatu and Leia (Boushh) are also still available. In comparison Smyths Toys sells TVC basic figures for 15,99€ by now.

The TBS Centerpiece Luke was also part of the daily offer for 17,19€. That’s actually cheaper than the price of amazon.com!
Also Vader is stil reduced to 24,04€. That’s pretty impressive compared to their initial price tag of 89,90€!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Germany - May the 4th 2019 deals on Amazon.de
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:20:53 AM »
Glad you founds some deals.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Germany - Museum of Natural History, Berlin
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
Museum of Natural History
Museum für Naturkunde

Berlin

If you ever come to Berlin, I can really recommend to you to visit this museum. As I learned it has become the most popular museum there by the numbers of visitors.
I had been wanting to go there since I was 6 years old. And it took me 5 tries 'til it finally worked. It is important to note that tickets are only available online and you better buy them at least two days in advance. It can be a frustrating experience when you go there spontaneously. The security guards will not likely show mercy because every second question they're asked is why tickets aren't sold in the ticket box in front of the building anymore. Regardless of the ongoing Pandemic, I think this is just a measure to safe money on staff. They don't care about parents being frustrated and children crying when they learn that the museum is sold out for the next couple days. Many people I talked to go there without further preparation and go home prior the next free time window of the museum.
But once you're in, you can let the magic of nature and natural history amaze you.

You can listen to the audio guide in English here

Dinosaurs

I spent 5 hours in there and really took my time. You could also go through it within 30 minutes or so. Since the dinosaurs are most amazing to me (as to most children there) I spent 2 hours at the dinosaurs alone.

Brachiosaurus

Seen the boy in a Mando hoodie on the right side of the picture above? I told him that I think his hoodie is cool.

Apatosaurus

Predators

Archaeopteryx - The little Star of the Show

Asteroids

Parasites & diseases

Tristan Otto, the T. rex from Denmark is currently in Chicago. Only a copy of his head stayed in Berlin.

You can see which toys I found in Berlin after the jump. I got to admit that this exhibit not only let nostalgia hit hard, but also lighted my dinosaur fever, again. So I finally bought the largest items of Mattel's current JW assortment:

And to my pleasure these are all 1/18 scale.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:55:31 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 06:09:45 AM »
Wow, looks better than DC. And way less crowded.

I would love to see this.

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Man, I would love to go back and see dinosaurs. Minus the eating me part.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 04:21:34 AM »
Thank you, Tamer! I got to admit that I hadn't known the museum in Washington D.C. before. I'm really impressed by the virtual walkthrough they offer, so their online presence is somewhat better.
But I have to agree, the Hall of Fossils, Deep Time is pretty badly built in my opinion. The dinosaur fossils however are far more spectacular. I hope they'll be displayed in a better way in the future. I think the exhibition as it's shown online has too much on display at one spot. It gives me a hard time to keep an overview.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 02:52:24 AM by Darth More »

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 09:05:08 AM »
The next age of extinction is NOW!

A look behind the scenes...

Elements, Minerals & Gems

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 09:10:12 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 03:48:52 AM »
Feel like I am taking a trip. Nice images.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
Re: Germany - The Desolation of Smaug - National Park Harz
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 02:45:19 AM »
The Desolation of Smaug

On Friday I drove back home from Dresden to Düsseldorf. I took a different route this time to visit my aunt. Hadn't been there since 2006 and what I saw there left me in shock and teary eyes.
The forest of this national park is dying. It was like driving through a graveyard of trees. Last year alone the affected area was extended by 4,000 hectares!

The last time I was there it looked like this:

Source: Welt.de - 2015

Source: https://www.foto-wandern.com/fotokurse-in-der-natur/fotowanderung-um-den-oderteich-im-nationalpark-harz-2019-04-29/
Copyright: Andreas Levi

The landscape is very similar to my second home Michigan. Today it looks like this:

June 2022
Source: https://www-mdr-de.translate.goog/nachrichten/sachsen-anhalt/magdeburg/harz/waldsterben-aufforstung-trockenheit-borkenkaefer-krisenstab-100.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de

Source: https://www-tagesspiegel-de.translate.goog/wirtschaft/das-naechste-waldsterben-ist-der-deutsche-wald-noch-zu-retten/24957944.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de

According to the articles above there are two main reasons for this devastating state of the forest:
Drought and the bark beetle. I share this as a warning sign. Drought is a global issue and leads to massive fires which become more horrible each year. There are bush fires close to Dresden and Berlin at the moment as well caused by human ignorance. It's time to be extra careful with our nature. Take care out there to maintain our beautiful planet.

Ed Sheeran - I See Fire (Music Video) shared by CLS Videos
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 03:24:52 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Germany - The Desolation of Smaug - National Park Harz
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 05:20:33 AM »
Wow, so sorry to read this. We have got to do a better job with our wild areas. I know we here in the US are seeing some massive forest changes too. I personally think global warming is catching up with us. We are seeing so many environmental changes this past decade. Heck, I can't even remember a winter that was that cold in the past few years.