Author Topic: General rant  (Read 7894 times)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Re: General rant
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »
Loose would float my boat just fine.
Believe it or not, a lot of Ebay sellers charge up to 26 USD for shipping to Germany.
It stops being funny at that point.
I know quite well that the actual shipping is a LOT less. Dang, I've shipped whole boxes of reenacting kit over for less than that.
Please feel free to check out my wanted thread on Codys...http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=829.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:40:01 AM by Commander_Kurgan »
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 03:25:41 AM »
I know one thing, our daggone posties are charging some ridiculous rates. Still, Clint would be the best judge of shipping costs. He ships everywhere.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »
The nice thing is that the USPS website gives you great tools to calculate actual shipping costs.
You can easily tell how some people on Ebay are making ten extra Bucks through their international shipping charges.
Ebay is cool as long as you watch what you're doing. A cheap figure may work out expensive if you're not keeping an eye on the shipping charges.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 04:36:36 AM »
I know one thing, our daggone posties are charging some ridiculous rates. Still, Clint would be the best judge of shipping costs. He ships everywhere.

Yup i can vouch the posties are pirates......eh Shawn?.....lol...the devils are way too dear for what the service they provide and how they handle it....

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 06:40:16 PM »

Yup i can vouch the posties are pirates......eh Shawn?.....lol...the devils are way too dear for what the service they provide and how they handle it....

We are lucky any of our deals survived with the posties that service my area.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
Yep, $26 is quite steep to ship a Cody to Germany.
  a lot of ebayers will charge high shipping rates because eBay doesn't get a percentage of what they charge to ship something unless of course you consider that they also get a percentage of any paypal money sent to a seller.
You got to check that shipping price before you buy.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
I'm really about sick of Feebay and Paypal, together they get between 10-20% of my average auciton, :(

Offline masterfett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
I'm really about sick of Feebay and Paypal, together they get between 10-20% of my average auciton, :(
Now we all know how retailers feel when they sell Hasbro products!

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »
thats about right!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:44 AM »
Yep, those two entities sure do take their cut. Now you see why the scalpers scalp. Powersellers get a bit of a break on the fees that they pay but it takes slot of successful selling to get to that point.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:12 PM »
yeah, but I'm thinking if one was on enough boards, one could almost market their own stuff with just the occasional auction.

Any comment, Clint?  is Ebay the only answer?

I was a powerseller back in 2005 or so, when I sold off all my 40k and my neighbor's xbox360, I saw the listing fees go down, but can't remember if the final value fees did.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
bid4figures.com is a new site that is trying to get up and going and caters to the action-figure community.  They are free, so the only fees you'd have would be on the money-transfer side.  I haven't dealt with them - yet - but apparently the founder is known in some of the customizing circles as being a reputable gent.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 07:07:55 PM »
No, eBay isn't the only option, just the most popular one, and the safest, for the buyers anyway.
One could easily start there and add links to one owns website where items can be sold. I believe that ebay rule isnthat it would have to be at least two clicks away from a page where you could buy something away from eBay.
eBay is where the traffic is, from all over the world and it is constant.

Offline masterfett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
bid4figures.com is a new site that is trying to get up and going and caters to the action-figure community.  They are free, so the only fees you'd have would be on the money-transfer side.  I haven't dealt with them - yet - but apparently the founder is known in some of the customizing circles as being a reputable gent.
Interesting idea, it would be cool if someone would cast these ball joints so you could get several,  it would then make it easier to give any figure knee joints!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:29 PM »
I'm getting there, I'm getting there!

;D