Author Topic: Cable, Cyclops, Gladiator, Apocalypse, & 1st App. Wolverine Reviewed  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Ok, to start with, I am not at all trying to compete with Zed on his reviews, because there's no competition!  However, I haven't done a MU review in quite some time, and I LOVE this latest wave. I've been so excited ever since it was announced that I bought an entire case of this wave.  So, here's my take on these latest figures (oh, and I still expect you to review these in your own way, Zed!)

First up is one of my favorite X-Men out there, Cable.  I first encountered him during the first run of X-Force back in 1991, and I've been a fan ever since.  Smart, cunning, and every bit as ruthless and willing to kill as Wolverine, Cable was a stark contrast to Professor X in his teachings, mirroring those of Apocalypse more than Xavier.  I loved his incredible array of futuristic weaponry and portal travel, along with his enormous space station aptly named Graymalkin. 

To start with, I am very happy with his overall look.  His iconic bionic eye and scar are clearly evident, and his costume is a nice amalgamation from various forms.  To be honest, I'd like to find 3 more of these so I can create his original X-Force and new clandestine X-Force looks.  Cable also comes with Baby Hope, the first mutant born after M-Day, along with a futuristic handgun that fits in the hip-holster and rifle, as well as the Askani staff he utilized for a brief period of time.  You can display his chest piece with or without Hope.  He's definitely proportionate in size, and this one came with tight joints, which is always a plus with these super articulated figures.

Next up is my all time favorite incarnation of the leader of the X-Nation, Cyclops.  Jim Lee's version, as debuted when he took the helm of X-Men #1 back in the 90s, just screams raw and militant, like Cyke's going to start running this crew with more efficiency and precision, if that were even possible for him.  I've always wished that Scott Summers would one day wake up and take firm grasp of his destiny, have total faith in himself, and let those optic blasts off their chains.  I'd like to see the issue where Cyclops faces Mr. Sinister and decides he's fed up with the same battles time and time again, and just rips Mr. Sinister apart at the molecular level, leaving nothing but scraps of flesh and bone.  But that's just me, of course.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this figure out of package was, "Bravo!"  His paint apps really show loyalty to the original Jim Lee artwork, with heavy shadowing along the muscles to really make him look cut.  His costume was perfect, and his hands were in a great position.  My one complaint was his head. It's not a ball-joint head, it's on a peg swivel, and can only go up or down, and it can't go up enough without him looking like he's staring at Jean's boobs.  He just looks hunched over, and that irks me.  Still, his joints were tight, his paint apps excellent, and I have the version I've been wanting forever!

Next up is the enigmatic, ruthless, Ultimate Villain, Apocalypse.  The First Mutant, I've never truly understood Apocalypse' origins.  I realize he was an Egyptian mutant who discovered highly advanced alien technology, the very same technology that he used to infect Nathan Summers (the child of Scott Summers and Madelyne Pryor, aka the Goblin Queen) who grew up to become the time traveling mutant, Cable (who in turn stole a great deal of that same technology for his own uses).  I loved the giant crossover story, The X-Cutioner's Song, and it did feature Apocalypse and some of the culminations of his many schemes throughout the ages, past present and future. 

His size is a little disproportionate, if you ask me.  He seems bulky enough, but should be taller.  I think he should stand taller than Juggernaut or the Hulk.  He is a simple sculpt, no additional accessories.  His paint apps are pretty crisp, though mine has looser joints.  This was a much anticipated figure in my book, and didn't quite deliver as much as I'd hoped.  Still, I'm not UNhappy with him.

Next up is a character that is highly prevalent in the X-Universe, though not one I was all that anxious for.  Gladiator is the protector for the Shi'ar Empire. Incredibly strong and powerful, Gladiator is not one to be defeated easily.  As much a friend of the X-Men as an enemy, he always gives them a fight to remember.

An incredibly simple and very often used sculpt, this one at least has a mowhawk.  His cape is nothing special, feels and looks a lot like Thor's with a collar.  He comes with no accessories, just as you see it. As you can tell from my lack of description, I'm not all that impressed.

Wolverine's been done more times than I care to count.  He's like Iron Man or Spider-Man for Marvel: You keep making them, kid's will keep buying them.  Supposedly.  This one is from his very first appearance in the pages of The Incredible Hulk.  This Canadian with Claws was turned loose to stop a rampaging Hulk through the Canadian countryside.  The battle, of course, was epic, and have been ever since.  There was even a story arc where The Hulk tore Wolverine in half and threw his legs several miles away, forcing Logan to crawl along with his upper half to find them!  Neither of them ever gets a true upper hand, but they're always fun to watch fight!

This is by far my least favorite of the bunch.  His arms are not even fully poseable, all jacked up at the elbow.  At least his claws are single piece, made with some more rigid plastic, so they weren't all bent or jacked up coming out of the package.  True, the paint apps were clean and the joints crisp, but the lack of total articulation and the more than usually weird facial expression really makes this my least favorite Wolvie ever, in my book.