Author Topic: Just started collecting Marvel Universe figs  (Read 4403 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
Just started collecting Marvel Universe figs
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
Here are the two I bought the other night.

(Please forgive the shoddy quality; I'm in the process of moving and all I have ATM is my camera phone.)

My review of the toys thus far: the rubber/plastic material these toys are made out of is atrocious.  It's far too soft and in a lot of cases it makes the joints too weak to do anything.  Cap's right arm ripped at the elbow joint out of the box (literally, as I unboxed him I watched it rip!) and Thor's left knee joint immediately weakened on initial flexing to the point that he can barely stand up now.
The articulation is decent, but again, the material is so weak that flexing the figures leads to overall stress in the joints, so these are strictly display only.
Thor is a great figure; the detail, the paint job, the hammer accessory; he's a welcome addition to my collection.
Cap's paint job is a bit shoddy around the mask area; I had to search through about five or six figures at the store before I found one without splatters of blue paint on the face area.
Also, Cap's only accessory is his shield, so I paired that with a pistol from an Indiana Jones figure.
The display bases don't fit the feet very well, necessitating the switch over to my standard display bases from Collector's Warehouse.
In terms of scale, they're perfectly scaled to be displayed alongside my Hasbro Star Wars figures; in fact I had a bit of fun interchanging the heads of various characters and storm/clone troopers with the figures.
I'd love to expand my collection, but it seems I'm going to have to do some serious digging, since the Wave 2 figures are mostly variant costumes and I'd like to find the traditional costumed figures, which are in wave 1.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Re: Just started collecting Marvel Universe figs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »
I really think you're going to like these if you keep collecting them.  I have more fun collecting these than Star Wars anymore.  My suggestion is, if you see one you want, buy it then; many times they sell out in hours and you won't find them at retail again.

Offline EnigmaticOne

• But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
  • Cadet
  • Su cuy'gar ner vod
    • My Other account
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »
I had actually picked up Deadpool at first. Then, I thought Cable, Warpath, and Gambit look great in plastic, so I bought them all within a matter of days.. Later I checked a photo archive and started buying any and all X-men. This was probably a month or two ago. Now I'm waiting for the 2012 releases.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
My little gal just said she wants a complete Avengers Set after Chad sent here a great Black Widow.

Offline EnigmaticOne

• But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
  • Cadet
  • Su cuy'gar ner vod
    • My Other account
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »
My little gal just said she wants a complete Avengers Set after Chad sent here a great Black Widow.

Wouldn't that be a little tough? So many incarnations, err, well different members at different times.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:57 AM »

Wouldn't that be a little tough? So many incarnations, err, well different members at different times.

Just the ones she sees on the Avengers Cartoon they have (we watched all the episodes on Netflix).