Author Topic: Sith_fire30 12/31/2012 ALIEN Update NOV 12! p21!!  (Read 49882 times)

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Hey guys and gals! Thanks for the very warm welcome! Sorry I didn't reply sooner than I did - I'm seriously very busy and like I'm sure many of you can agree - it's not all about custom work everyday (wish it was)! I'm trying to make it more about toy making though - love to sculpt and paint...more sculpt than paint I guess! LOL!  Speaking of paint, I will be painting up the two Tonnika head sculpts as well as Savage Opress standard head this week.  Thanks again!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Just jaw dropping. Each one a masterpiece.

Look for this update on our fp tomorrow.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
Star Wars Custom Greatness!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
mandalore is just!  :o

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
SithFire, your work is on a totally different level to anything I have seen. It's like comparing the Wright Brothers airplane to an F22 Raptor...

How you create such stunning creations is quite beyond me, are you self taught, or did you take a degree in model making / engineering? 

My favourite aspect of your work has to be the head painting, the detailing is so lifelike. Is there any advice / tutorials you can impart upon us mortals?

Oh and thanks for sharing such inspirational work with us.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Another killer update!! So if you want to head my way for that sculpting class this summer, I'll give you a place to stay for some sculpting tips. Lol.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
I came across your work a while back elsewhere online and was blown away... to be honest I looked at my tub of aves apoxie sculpt and knocked it in the garbage...  This is work at a level I could never compete with.  My biggest frustration has always been the limitation of working with pre-existing pieces and having to buy figures that work together, ultimately paying for 3-5 figures just to make one custom... and here you go, buy one figure, whittle it down to a bare skeleton of plastic joints and build that up in to pure awesomeness.

I applaud your work.  This is not customizing, this is artistry.  You are a sculptor in every sense of the word. 

sorry I couldn't be specific in any of my admiration, it is all too much to take in....

I will ask a few generic questions though.
Most of your work seems to be "one-of-a-kind" pieces.  You're literally building the figure from scratch, and the only way to duplicate it would be to build another in the same process...  Have you ever attempted making casts of your work?

I know some have attempted casting entire figures, but they loose articulation in the process (something that your process retains amazingly!), so I'm thinking that only parts of your work could be cast in the normal ways....
Heads, helmets, accessories (backpacks, weapons, etc), armor...  these are things that you could duplicate...

I know... I for one would like to have a copy of mandalore the ultimate's head/helmet sculpt!

Offline Trandoshanslaver1138

• let the "experts" handle this.
  • Lieutenant
  • a sceduled break
The articulation is outstanding on your models! I wish I had the material and resourses to try at this, I always loved making wood carvings and skeches with pencil that take me weeks to finish but I`ve never had the chance to do anything else besides painting, drawing, and carving.

Have you ever thought of making a rubber skin around the joints  of your figures to make it look as if it had real skin? It would make it have the same articulation while having a realistic fleshy look to it. Its something I`ve been planning on doing for some time now, but you would do it so much better.
...Jareth Sartoris never found out what ICO Austin had seen back there.

Offline damonsfast

• Ensign
welcome , your work is amazing, how long has you been doing customs?

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
First off, excellent job on the new updates; the Mando the Ultimate sculpt looks awesome, as does the more recent Starkiller (Arena Combat Gear)...

I was looking more closely at the joint locations on your figs and it got me thinking: do you ever get the urge to make a joint change after you've started sculpting and does the Aves Fixit allow you to boil/pop or easily make changes?  

I've read some of your posts on your blog and you've addressed scrapping figs from time to time after they did not work out the way you wanted.  Are these a total scrap or is the Aves workable/durable enough to withstand more sanding/resculpting (or even boil-n-pop)?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:25:41 PM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Trandoshanslaver1138

• let the "experts" handle this.
  • Lieutenant
  • a sceduled break
I only just realized the STARKIlLER you made! OMG it looks AWSOME! He's on of my favorite characters ever!
...Jareth Sartoris never found out what ICO Austin had seen back there.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
are you self taught, or did you take a degree in model making / engineering? 

My favourite aspect of your work has to be the head painting, the detailing is so lifelike. Is there any advice / tutorials you can impart upon us .

Hangarbay! Thanks buddy! I took some classical lessons in college, worked at it as a hobby since taking additional courses when I could (along with other art forms) - Model/Toy making is just finding the right people in the business and asking questions.  The painting styles I've learned from painting courses in general, plus taking tutorials and getting inspiration from artists such as those that work at Hot Toys and sculptor (hero) Jordu Schell..as well as many others. Also books- tons of reference books!!! Painting at this scale is VERY difficult which I'm sure you'd agree- and I'm still learning.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
I came across your work a while back elsewhere online and was blown away... to be honest I looked at my tub of aves apoxie sculpt and knocked it in the garbage...  

Most of your work seems to be "one-of-a-kind" pieces.  You're literally building the figure from scratch, and the only way to duplicate it would be to build another in the same process...  Have you ever attempted making casts of your work?

Thank you for all the kind words!!

Get that tub of apoxie sculpt out of the garbage and get to work!!! LOL We all started somewhere - I started customizing like everyone else, simple repaints. Then I met people like Glassman and Bantha5 who inspired me to go a step further...then is was practice, practice, practice! I'm still practicing!!! I still feel I can do better - that's the attitude we all should have. Ask questions - get curious and take some chances with you sculpting. And I admit I spend several dollars at time to make the correct frame for a figure - that's just the nature of the monster I've created.

Your right my work is generally one-of-a-kind...I'm even insane enough to sculpt multiple Republic Shocktroopers, Vong and upcoming Old Republic Imperial Troopers.  I am talking with some guys "in th know" about how to begin casting  future work...possibly...I will keep you all in the loop.

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
I was looking more closely at the joint locations on your figs and it got me thinking: do you ever get the urge to make a joint change after you've started sculpting and does the Aves Fixit allow you to boil/pop or easily make changes?  

I've read some of your posts on your blog and you've addressed scrapping figs from time to time after they did not work out the way you wanted.  Are these a total scrap or is the Aves workable/durable enough to withstand more sanding/resculpting (or even boil-n-pop)?

You ask any toy industry sculptor out there and they will tell you that wax sculpting iis the only way to go becuae of just this reason. FIXIT isn't as forgiving - for me, if I need to make an adjustment, I will try to samd down but most of the time I will break down and begin again...a small areas mind you - not the entire piece. Sometimes I scrap entire figures, others I pick points on the frame that need adjustment. Since this is a one-of-a-kind and not manufactured for industry piece I can get away with it. I use the FIXIT for it's strength and permanence as a hobby...In the toy biz - that's a no no. 

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations