Author Topic: Sith_fire30 12/31/2012 ALIEN Update NOV 12! p21!!  (Read 50126 times)

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
Re: Sith_fire30 12/31/2012 ALIEN Update and plans for 2013! p19!
« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2013, 06:33:14 AM »
Dayton please stop posting mate your making us all look like 3rd rate customisers! 

no not really ..post away!  love seeing new stuff from you, oh and Happy New Year!
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
Happy New Year Dayton! Brett is looking fabulous! Thanks for the insight on upcoming projects, can't wait to see your Ghostbusters line!

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Re: Sith_fire30 10/18/2013 ALIEN Update - getting caught up! p20!
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »
WOAH! Where have I been! Sorry for the lack of updates here on the forums but I honestly been so focused on my work the only time I've had to post would be to my facebook page - thanks to all those that follow by the way! This past week I've began to focus on more forum postings and consolidating my posts to four fourms only - IMP SHIP YARDS, The RPF, Aliens Legacy and Prop Forums. Before, I'd spend as much as a week posting my work on all the forums I was involved in...I decided to focus on those that offered the best feedback, ideas and talent in the hobby :) Not to say I won't post every once in awhile on other forums but this frees up some time - I also have a blog that needs to be updated...been since May 25th! YIKES!

As always, thanks for the comments, suggestions and support - many of you have been creating some spectacular work and I really need to take time to send you my feedback!  The custom hobby is getting better and better every year and more and more professionals are beginning to notice the hobby as an art form!

Alright guys - here is an update I have posted on the other foums. Many of you that have been following me on Facebook will recognize the updates - others I can bring you up to date.

For those that haven't been following my work that much, please visit my FLICKR photostream to see all that I've been working on over the past year

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sith_fire30/

Many of you know I've been involved with creating a 1:18 scale world of the original "truckers in space" along with interiors of their towing vehicle Nostromo. Star Wars is still alive and working but I have focused more on this project over the past year or so. Instead of going over all that has been accomplished the past couple years, I will refer you to my FLICKR Photostream for all the ALIEN goodness to this point....with some ALIENS and ALIEN 3 thrown in :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sith_fire30/sets/72157629799733654/

My latest work is creating the Nostromo's Main Air Lock door as seen in the film. I started with a foam core/matte board model to get the scale right.

Then for the meat of the project, I created the vectors in illustrator and sent them to a friend of mine to have the parts cut out...

Once the pieces were cut and delivered, I added sculptural details using Aves FIXIT epoxy. I added styrene tubes and sculpted details such as the locking mechanisms to the door as well as some sculpt work to the boarder. The deep recess of the door panels were partially filled with super sculpt before molding...

Once the molds were made, I made a casting of the finished piece.

The door contains both sides - interior and exterior. Below is an images of the exterior and the custom frame I am building that will hold the door into place.

I've also began working on the build to the interior compartment of the Main Air Lock. Images of that will be coming soon. I scratch build using sheet styrene, laser cut materials and coming soon - brass etched pieces (my first time). This work is "for the love of the hobby" at the moment but I can see where I may be selling kits sometime in the future so please let me know if you would be interested. Till then, thanks for taking a look! Much more on the way!!!!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
As always mate your work is simply stunning and inspirational, never stop creating such wonderful pieces.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
Wow, you are as good with CAD as you are the sculpted medium! Just stunning Dayton.

And thank you for making ISY one of your stops. We do so enjoy your work.

Off to share. Geesh, is it any wonder we all try to emulate you work.

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
Just incredible !!! I cant wait to see what else you have planned .

Offline nickeltcd

• Lieutenant
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
Excellent, love the doors. Super.
Now i can't wait for the Predator line up.

By the Knights of Mandalore, our Quest will ring true

Offline sith_fire30

• Lieutenant
    • Sith_fire30 Creations
Re: Sith_fire30 12/31/2012 ALIEN Update NOV 1 2013! p19!
« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys!!!

Close to completing the first of several 1:18 scaled corridors for the Nostromo spacecraft (ALIEN 1979). These corridors will vary in length, complexity...depends on what section or deck they are located within the ship. So many variants on the ship - I found this awesome video online that features the door and corridors on the ship...it's like the author read my mind.

Here are a couple images of the first completed corridor - lacking smaller details, the base (being worked on now) paint job and decals....so how about CLOSE to completion LOL!

Started a new section that leads to the Narciccus Shuttle - you can see this section as Ripley is escaping from the Nostromo, approaching the shuttle entrance.

Sculpted and replicated the padded seat railings in the Main Airlock Chamber, also scratch built the dust grate floor from sheet styrene. Additional details are being added over the weekend.

Started a new section this past week - received various laser cut pieces I designed to begin assembling the main entrance way to the Nostromo bridge. The image shows just the laser cut pieces (hastily put together for the photo - nothing glued down). I will add details using sheet styrene, sculptural and greeblie work.

and finally I decided to reboot my Nostromo galley work. The panels I originally hand made looked too irregular. I had a problem with proportion. With these laser cut parts, I have a much better starting point when sculpting the details of each wall panel...that's right, the details for the Egyptian motif (as Ron Bobb called it) will be sculpted. Once these walls are completed, the opposite side and overhead will be created.

Getting back into some more sculpt work for the next several weeks - gearing up to create the H.R. Giger Derelict corridor which will be a total sculpt job. Very excited :)

Offline lucasclones

• Global Moderator
  • Major
    • My Flickr site!
Re: Sith_fire30 12/31/2012 ALIEN Update NOV 1! p20!!
« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
WOW!! that is all...

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #294 on: November 01, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
Sith Fire, this latest creation is simply stunning, your attention to detail is simply awe inspiring and such a joy to look at and study. Roger Christian would surely be pleased to see his designs so beautifully re-created.

I have always had an appreciation for the set design in the Alien movie and being able to see the finer details as shown in your WIP images makes me appreciate the designs even more.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
WOW the detail work you are doing is stunning and the photo's showing the corridor section is brillant.

Ron

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
Stunning work Dayton! You are bringing together so many mediums to create these miniature sets, such a joy seeing them come together. Each piece is most inspiring to say the least.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #297 on: November 02, 2013, 07:49:24 AM »
Dayton, I don't know what to say. I tried to put together a few comments on the front page, but this is one truly amazing piece of art. I can only imagine what other goodness is going to come out of this. Truly inspiring.

Offline darthcrassus

• Lieutenant
    • Darth Crassus Customs
« Reply #298 on: November 02, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
As a wise Jedi once said, "Holy @#$% that's amazing!"

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #299 on: November 02, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
I had a chance to watch the video you linked to your post to see how you were inspired to keep fine-tuning an already amazing creation.  That video is flat-out awesome...but nowhere near the level of goodness that your set pieces have in them.  I've been following this project for awhile on FB and the final product is going to absolutely blow people away...because the WIP pics are that tantalizing.  God, this is an awesome project!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!