Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 36912 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
Pat, thanks and I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Tamer, thanks and I'll have to look that up. I am not sure about that robot but sounds interesting.

Jules, you are too kind to me and so hard on yourself. I love the Endor Forest Ranger and I think it is a more complete vehicle than mine. I would buy that thing any day.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
Black Hole robot = Maximilian (but I never saw the movie.  used to have a fig of the hero 'bot, tho - no idea where he ended up!)

Finally got started on mine last night. F or once, paint is something other than gray!  ;D

i used to have black Hole  figures !

Max (big bad red robot)
Old B.O.B.
and V.I.N.Cent, if i remember rightly stood for Vital Information Necessary Centrelized
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
I don't want to take this thread off topic anymore (sorry guys), but here is the character.

Offline beast from the east

• Lieutenant
  • I am Merman
    • My websites
« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
I used to have all the black hole figures. Unfortunately I have no idea where they are. I know I didn't get rid f any of my figures when I got older just put away.

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
Wow L.E. that's too cool.. I love the use of Transformers in these, especially like that one where you can't even tell it's one.  I worked on my Mini-crawler today, reworked some stuff and added a door on the back, it's drying right now(the glue) so I'll try to take some more WIP pics in the next couple of days. I got banned from using the kitchen table for customs though.. :( it's not that bad, I was using it since around Xmas-ish cause it was too cold downstairs. Now that it's warmer out, I can go down there more, it's just harder when I got my son, who doesn't just wanna sit there and "be bored" lol.. and doesn't want to be alone up stairs.. I'm sure we'll find a middle ground to work with. :D Can't wait to see more!!!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
Oh yea Tamer I can see how my entry reminded you of that droid. Very cool and interesting.

Joe, thanks buddy. I can't wait to see some progress shots of your mini sandcrawler!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
Spry you old dog, that is just a masterpiece. Your vehicle builds certainly have a particular finished look to em. I would call this one a tie with your speederbike for your best vehicle creation. Definately deserving of a prominent spot in your display area. How are those cw guns mounted?

Guys, I had planned on using this cobra trouble bubble as my entry as a republic flying gun platform but as I am now swamped at work with the ironworker thing and working overtime, including Saturdays, I am going to have to drop out of this one. I will just watch and drool as more of the member's stunning entries appear.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
Don't chop her up Clint! j/k  ;)

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Spry, nice entry: lovin' the transforming features, looks great!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
aww man that sucks clint, the trouble bubble would have been PERFECT for this project!  You should still work on it when you get the chance.   I know how work can be though, hell you've got to pay the bills (and for the hobby) somehow!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »
I was *this close* to getting a Flight Pod for this competition...  Can't wait to see the Clonehead Touch(TM) applied to it!!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
I was thinking that would make a great vehicle to use to make one of the Trandoshan flight platforms they use in the Padawan Lost Episode too.

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
Trandoshan flight platforms

Anyone got a screen-capture?

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
I don't have a screen cap but I did pause it several times today while watching it on master toons. There are a few of them and they vary a bit but have the same basic structure.

Clint thanks buddy, the guns are removable as I drilled a hole in the bottom to accept the existing arm peg of the transformer. Expect some more pics on that is my vehicle thread.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Wow.  I can't believe the awesomeness that abounds here in this thread.  LOVE all the eye candy.  A toy lover's dream ;D

Just finished my Mini-Rig Contest entry, but I'm not quite ready to submit my five photos yet.  

It was a real labor of love.  I easily put in more than 40 hours of work into this one.  I made this speeder bike from an Operation Rex toy that I saw in Target on the day that the contest was announced.   After that it was all fodder.  An everything but the kitchen sink affair.  Constructing it was an effort that was much enjoyed.  I sculpted most of the controls, spare the Vader control pad.  I also sculpted the around grill and the front window.  Oh... and the cushioned seating, yeah, that is also sculpted.  

After that fodder galore.  An A-team special if you will.  A beater, clunker, jalopy, hooptie.  Look at your fodder and see more than what the object was meant to represent and envision what it could become with a little imagination.  The grill and window were made from a G.I. Joe radar dish I found in my fodder.  The front axles were made from two yellow missiles and a  Momaw Nadon staff that Apoxie Sculpt hydraulic shocks fastened to what once were guns that I can't identify, but I'm seeing on Luke Sprywalker's incredibely cool entry.  The nose of the speeder bike was made from a Hulk Battle Axe that  is from the  Hulk action figure everyone was turning into a Gamorean gladiator recently,  as well as , a gold plastic mask that was in a fodder bag that we got on Ebay.  The antennas at the rear are made from a Mas Ameda staff and the bottom of an Indiana Jones torch.  I even have the long white tube from a krazy glue container  glued to the bottom and painted purple to give it the shape I wanted.  The Robonino backpack is removable and all his accessories are included and the vibroaxe is fastened with a clear rubber band.  The tail fin is also unidentified fodder and is sculpted in place.  The leg straps that hang down came from the guns that now hold the axel and nose in place.  A pen was  cut and painted  to attach the missile to the bike and both the missile and pen cap are removable. A Mandolorian shield is at the rear.  The engine and fire attached at the bottom are both adjustable as well as removable.  After that it was all custom painted and dressed up .

These two custom action figures may live out there days in Star Wars, but they were definitely created by a desire to have some Dreadnoks for myself when Elias asks me to play with him.  ELias has no interest in Joes, but the Dreadnoks were my favorite action figures growing up.  I think a lot of my customs are influenced by my love for those action figures.  I remember when I got my first one , a Buzzer, as the toy was getting paid for at the counter my knees started to shake because I was so excited.  The toy created involuntary responses in me!!  Now that's toy making.

So the driver was created from a Koffi Arana action figure, a Star Wars drummer that was in Jabba's Palace whose name I can't remember for the life of me at the moment and fodder, fodder, fooder with an Apoxie Sculpt beard.  The Gunner was made from a Pirates of the Caribbean Marty action figure with Apoxie Scupt hair and a Vintage Yoda robe.  Unfortunately, I dropped the gun I had for him behind the couch.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for the battery on my camera to finish charging. Oh, and finding an appropriate back ground is also proving difficult.   The speeder bike isn't easy to photograph at all.  I'm submitting WIP shots of the photo shoot process instead of the construction process because as any customizer knows, that showing your work properly is also sometimes equally as challenging as getting the custom finished.  So these are the photos of my WIP submission.  These are the photos I have taken so far that I am thinking of using toward my final entry photos.   Until I can narrow it down to five pictures that I like enough to submit as my final entry, these are the photos thatI am contemplating.  They can all be found in the "Customs for the Kid" thread in the link below.  

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=5123.300

These are my WIP photos that I took before the camera died.  There were about 13 pictures and I didn't want to clog up the contest thread.

If there are any photos that you like and you think I should use in the final entry, I'll # the photos and you can say use #'s...

Can't wait until the contest is over so I can post these pictures on our blog.  I really loved this project ;D Even if it did take me almost the whole time we were given to make it.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:57:07 PM by darthdaddy »