Author Topic: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest  (Read 36904 times)

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: March 2011 Build Your Own Mini-Rig Contest
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »
Joe, we work a lot alike! Thanks for all of the WIP pics, you know I love them and I agree with Clint that Avatar tracked vehicle on the same moviie mech legs looks great.  I really love that mini sandcrawler you are building! Can't wait to see more on that one.

Tom, that is so awesome! That for me is just a perfect vehicle, looks like something that would really be in the Empire's arsenal. Your added bits and weathering are first class. Now that cargo net you made is just mind blowing! Great technique and look to it, I think you stopped at just the right point. In a forest setting you would never see that crawler from above. Pure Awesome! I love everything about this, it looks like Tamer does as well. I would love to have one of these in my collection.

Rusty, that is bad ass man. Great ideas and I love the one about it looking like a beast. Very intresting parts to achieve that look. I see so many different parts cobbled together on this one! At least one droidika lost his life to this bad boy! I am wondering what the 2 dragon like pieces on the back came from? They fit in perfectly and man that rider is someone I wouldn't want to mess with. Very well done my friend and congrats on your first vehicle! I really like the pic where the swoop is up off the ground a bit.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:53:11 PM by Luke Sprywalker »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:02 AM »
Like it? I love it!!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy. That camo netting looks awesome. Reminds me of some of that stuff I used to cover our Humvee during Field Work. I need to see if I can find something to resemble those tri-brace poles we used.  Very nice Tom and I appreciate the chance to own one of your customs. Now, how to figure out how to get the rest of the folks here out of their great custom piecies. I aim to own at least one of all the customizers here at the Yards!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »
Tamer, I'm shuffling ideas specifically for your collection - I've got a theme, but nothing has really "presented" just yet...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:02 AM »
Tamer, I'm shuffling ideas specifically for your collection - I've got a theme, but nothing has really "presented" just yet...

Sounds great!

Offline Rustyscustoms

• RustysCustoms
  • Commander
  • and im like forget you
    • RustysCustoms
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Actually two droidekas lol. The clone wars one and the geonosis arena.one :) and the back things are from two yuzhang vong warriors just cut down.

Offline Road Warrior

• IMPERIAL
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »
My God.....

There are many different INCREDIBLE things being put together in this thread. I have to say that I like them all!!!

Carry on everyone!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Commander Wolffe CC #3636

• Lieutenant
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:02 PM »
" Well golly!"~Gomer Pyle   I skipped the commander jet custom and started working on a blue and silver flying walker for my vehicle clone named chopper

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Joe, I like all of your wip vehicles and think it's cool that you decided to make the mini rig for your kid. Would you believe that I liked the avatar legged walker most of all?

Tom, nice job on the camo netting. That added the perfect touch.

Rusty, i love your speeder bike from hell. What a great idea to make it beastly.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
Joe, I like all of your wip vehicles and think it's cool that you decided to make the mini rig for your kid. Would you believe that I liked the avatar legged walker most of all?

Tom, nice job on the camo netting. That added the perfect touch.

Rusty, i love your speeder bike from hell. What a great idea to make it beastly.

I also liked the avatar mech walker, but the mini-sand crawler is a much more "mini-rig-esque" concept and idea!  I can't wait to see it finished.  To me that would have been something that kenner would have come up with back in the day, it's the perfect idea for a min-rig.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2011, 05:27:23 AM »
For the life of me, I still can't see Rusty's pics. Can someone email me one of em. I would love to see how it looks.

tamer@imperialshipyards.net

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
THIS IS MY ENTRY

Presenting the Rebel's newest creation in short range vehicles, the Recon Scout Skiff or RSS. It features an elaborate array of sonar and scanning equipment, an astromech to pilot the ship, convey information and can operate the guns. The guns can also be manned by personnel on the skiff if desired. The RSS has become heavily used for scouting operations in locations requiring a vehicle that can fit in tight places and stay undetected. The modular nature of the craft when in landing position allows it to be fully armed if it's personnel take off on foot.

This little thing took several forms over the last few weeks. It is a Hellicopter Transformer and I had a small mobile platform in mind when it began. The back piece stayed flat with the deck and hinged down. As it is now I dremeled and filed then sanded a lot away to get it up that high. I had also added some side panels that folded down, a part to another broken transformer on top of the front area to hide the passengers. Long story short it looked hideous. I pulled everything off, started thinking about the Rebels building Uglies with a permanent droid in the nose. So I took out my BAD parts and split open a can to get the part that receives the head. Decided it would fit on top, marked it out and dremeled away for about 40 minutes being very careful and checking the size often. The funny thing is I removed more than I added to the original piece to get here. The on the transforming part I had to dremel and sand a ton more to get the guns to fold forward for the deadly look. As a final touch I added a display panel and a few buttons for the personnel on the skiff and she was off to paint. The droid was a re purposed one that had it's memory wiped and re programed for it's new duties. In a rush they attempted a quick repaint of it's dome to help camouflage the yellow underneath.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
L.E., that is awesome!  It looks so freakin' cool I can hardly stand it!  I'm going to be super busy in the laboratory when I get back from vacation, because I'm going to have to come up with something pretty special to even stand among all of you!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2011, 02:22:33 AM »
"Sassen-Nassen-Frassen-Grassen"!!!!!

You should be banned from these competitions LE, you keep on producing entry's of such awesomeness that they blow everything else out of the water....

And is that Ace Azzameen I see pictured next to the rig? 'Doggone' it man you've even created a better Azzameen than mine!!!

Show off!

(Love it, and I think it's better than mine.....there are you happy now?)  ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2011, 05:20:33 AM »
Now this to me is what exemplifies the mini in the mini rig contest!

This is just great L.E. and you know what this reminds me of? Do you guys remember the bad robot in the Disney Sci Fi movie Black Hole? This one is awesome. Wow, how in the world am I ever gonna decide who to vote for in this. I feel like a kid at Christmas coming in here to see what was added. Nice work everyone!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »
Black Hole robot = Maximilian (but I never saw the movie.  used to have a fig of the hero 'bot, tho - no idea where he ended up!)

Finally got started on mine last night. F or once, paint is something other than gray!  ;D