Author Topic: JediMerc's Customs: Harn Vandeth - EpVII Custom Contest Entry (upd 3/24/13)  (Read 38078 times)

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Sweet update! I agree that those leg wrappings take the cake.

Excellent looking figure. I really like how you sculpted the lower leg wrappings. Very nice detail.

That sculpt work on those legs and pants are far as the scarf work is just spot on. Looks like soft goods!

I appreciate the comments, especially coming from great customizers like all of you.  I continue to follow, and be amazed at, what you can do with paint apps and sculpt/casting work.  Tamer, we've got a great community here and you're a huge part of what makes coming to this site enjoyable.  Thanks!

As for this figure, I'm still experimenting on how to get the folds and details into the 'look' of the cloth sculpts.  I originally started out wrapping individual lengths of Fixit sculpt, but they ended up looking too much like garden hoses around the legs.  I pressed those out and followed the lengths and defined them with both sides of an Exacto blade (both the razor and the flat side) to give alternating definition to the wraps.  They aren't perfect, but they are light years beyond what that first attempt looked like!  (Everyone's lucky I didn't take pics...)

Thanks for checking my progress with this guy; more to come shortly (on both this and the EpVII character previously posted)!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:34 AM by JediMerc »

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Love that EP VII character and your work on Starkiller is quite impressive. Keep it up!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Man, 2 great looking figures. I am loving your sculpt work. I know what you mean about resculpting things. The more you do it the more you learn and you will get better each time. Great stuff man!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Love that EP VII character and your work on Starkiller is quite impressive. Keep it up!

Thanks for checking it out; I can't wait to get back to work on this one...

Man, 2 great looking figures. I am loving your sculpt work. I know what you mean about resculpting things. The more you do it the more you learn and you will get better each time. Great stuff man!

I appreciate the comments, Spry!  Slowly but surely I'll get there with the sculpts.  Just seeing the photos I posted and looking at them more clearly shows me some areas I need to shave/trim down to streamline a bit more.  More to come as I get time!

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Really impressed with these last two offerings.  Especially the sculpt work.  You've always had a good eye for kitbashes, so I wasn't surprised to see you pull out some killer sculpt work too.  It's great that you had the ability to self edit where you saw fit as well.  A promising future I see before you.

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Was finally able to finish up my entry for the ISY-Yakface EpVII character contest!  I previously posted this guy as a WIP, but he's all painted up and complete now.

FYI: I went with a weapon other than a lightsaber just because I think it would be more realistic that not every jedi in the upcoming ST would have one (i.e. maybe the Empire had confiscated Ilum's supplies, destroyed all natural crystals...or something like that  ;)).

Anyway, here's Harn Vandeth, Jedi Master (NJO):

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:05:44 PM by JediMerc »

Offline The Willoughbian

• Lieutenant
This is very cool! I like the double blades a lot. It's cool to see a Jedi that kicks it old school like that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
This is one cool Jedi. One of the best I have seen in awhile and not just for the construction which looks awesome, but also the thought of what a Jedi could really look like outside of the norm we have all grown to just accept. Lots of good thought on this one. Back on the front page.

Offline Bubba Fett

• Lieutenant
I love this Jedi concept. This looks like something that could actually be in the movie.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Brilliant design and execution on this one! Read more of what I thought in the contest thread, truly awesome!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
Brilliant design and execution on this one! Read more of what I thought in the contest thread, truly awesome!

Thanks, Spry.  I'd love to be able to pump out as many phenomenal ones as you do; for now, I'll have to over-obsess about details on the few I can get done.  

Starkiller has already undergone some tweaking and I've changed the belt twice...gonna try to get this one out next!

This is one cool Jedi. One of the best I have seen in awhile and not just for the construction which looks awesome, but also the thought of what a Jedi could really look like outside of the norm we have all grown to just accept. Lots of good thought on this one. Back on the front page.

Thanks Tamer...I just hope J.J. does the upcoming sequel right.  I need me some cool-looking Jedi (or at least Force-users)!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:24:20 PM by JediMerc »

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
First off, please allow me to apologize for not replying earlier.
After going through your thread, I must say, Bravo, sir. Bravo. Stunning work. So many great customs, and I can certainly see you are improving with each piece.
I love what you've been sculpting as well. Gorgeous work!

Barry

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline Sector_15

• Lieutenant
That competition entry looks amazing. Great work :).

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
First off, please allow me to apologize for not replying earlier.
After going through your thread, I must say, Bravo, sir. Bravo. Stunning work. So many great customs, and I can certainly see you are improving with each piece.
I love what you've been sculpting as well. Gorgeous work!

Barry

Thanks for the comments, Barry!  It's not always easy to come into a community of artists like this and compare ones work to the awesomeness that others produce.  It's he positivity if this community that inspires people like me to take risks like learning to sculpt, try different techniques, etc. without dear of being judged too harshly.  I appreciate you taking the time to thumb through my earlier work too!

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
That competition entry looks amazing. Great work :).

I appreciate you stopping in to take a look!  I'm enjoying watching how your Vector figs turn out, so I'll be following closely!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:36:36 AM by JediMerc »