Author Topic: Sideshow 1:6 Sandtrooper Sergeant  (Read 8852 times)

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
Sideshow 1:6 Sandtrooper Sergeant
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
Is this Davin Felth? Could be, he found that droid part in Tatooine desert that became the exclusive for this Sideshow figure.

What can I say about this figure: I like armored figures made by Sideshow and especially Stormtroopers and Sandtroopers.

The box is the usual Sideshow box, with a nice design, easy to open. There are 2 parts one is for the figure itself and one for the accessories:

The first thing you notice even when the figure is in box is the weird paint apps, the weathering. In my opinion this could have been done better, like the prototype version. Taking the figure out of the box and you see that the joints are not as floppy as on other Sideshow figures, at least on my figures.  The white pauldron is made of cloth (really cool) but was well hidden under the stand, you could always think you never got one, but it is there :).

He comes with a nice back pack and 2 weapons: MG-15 (RT-97C) rifle and the E-11 Stormtrooper blaster. We've already seen the E-11 blaster on other Imperial figures and it is the best in 1:6 scale, much better than Marmit's or Medicom's. As for the MG-15 (RT-97C) rifle that is one awesome piece, extremely detailed and well weathered. The only thing you should be careful when handling it is the scope.

The exclusive comes with the droid ring part, it has a separate hand but the ring is not attached to it and you could easily lose it if not careful enough - I would have preferred the ring to be glued on hand. To be honest the exclusive doesn't worth it.

The back pack is really well made, with great details and sculpt. It is to be attached with 2 straps onto the figure. You should be careful when attaching the back pack since it is quite heavy and the straps are weak, mine didn't break but heard of some that did. In fact I used a double sided tape to ensure the back pack stays firmly attached on the figure. ;)

And now a tip in how to make your Sandtrooper look even better. As you can see from the photo of the boxed figure the chest armor is too wide. You can tighten it around the body if you follow a few simple steps (available on the Stormtrooper figure too): take the helmet off  - it will pop off easily, put it aside, take the chest armor off over the head gently it has velcro tape on laterals so be careful. Get a hairdryer and turn the hot air onto the lateral parts of the armor where marked with red:

Keep it until the plastic is getting softer then tighten the 2 parts together. Repeat until you feel the armor is tight enough. The plastic is sturdy it won't break if pushed gently, the only thing you need to be careful of are the 2 shoulder straps that need to be protected from heat. After you are done, put the pauldron, back pack and helmet back on. :)

From Sideshow's site:

Falling in line to join Sideshows Imperial Ranks is the Sandtrooper 12-inch Figure! This highly detailed figure is completely equipped with modified armor and gear specialized to withstand harsh desert climates and extreme temperatures.

The Sandtrooper 12 inch Figure features:

* Fully articulated male body (armored body) with 30+ points of articulation
    * Fully detailed Sandtrooper armor set, featuring new helmet faceplate, new left shin armor, new abdomen armor, and pauldron with white rank designation.
    * Bodysuit
    * Shoulder Pouches
    * Belt Pouches
    * MG-15 Rifle
    * Detailed Backpack
    * 12-inch Figure Display Base with Star Wars Logo

The Sideshow Exclusive version of the Sandtrooper 12 inch Figure includes a unique feature available nowhere else: Hand holding droid part from the Tatooine crash site
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 12:16:36 PM by jkno »
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
Re: Sideshow 1:6 Sandtrooper Sergeant
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!! I love sandtroopers this one looks great

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks! I like this figure despite its minor issues. ;)
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline DS-61-2

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
If things did nit have issues us customizers would be out of a job lol

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Truth be told, I may try to pick one of these up using gift cards I have and customize it.  Not exactly sure how yet, but something.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:52:09 AM »
Two more Sideshow 12" Sandtroopers are coming: Squad Leader with orange pauldron and Corporal with black pauldron. The circle will be complete soon.  ;)
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 03:57:21 PM »
It looks so cool. I wish i had one.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 03:06:40 AM »
You can get this one or the orange pauldron or black pauldron versions that will be released soon :)
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »
Great review, jnko.  I too thought the weathering was a bit off; but all in all this is a good figure.  Figures like this represent what Sideshow is doing right. 

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 02:57:34 AM »
Indeed it is a nice figure. The weathering is ok, but I wish the body wasn't too floppy though, it is not like the Stormtrooper but still not like Medicoms for example...
My collection
Trade Feedback