Author Topic: Buying and Selling on Ebay  (Read 15276 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Buying and Selling on Ebay
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 05:43:36 AM »
Ebay is really knocking it to the sellers, but if you are a buyer you can really get some good SW deals there. I think the biggest thing with feebay, and one of my biggest issues, is that you have to have patience if you want to get a good price. Then, be prepared to loose some of your loot with ebay and paypal fees.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
They are all about their fees, that's for sure. I can't imagine a new seller being able to keep up with it all. It's only because I have messed with it for so long that helps me to kind of wade through it. I still dont know what to think about the big promotion towards buyer protection that all but ignores the protection of the sellers. There are scammers on both sides out there.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
if I had ever thought about being a ebay seller I now would think about it twice  :(

Offline Havoc_Hobby

• Havoc
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:52 AM »
i find some fairly cheep gunships on there but they almost never ship to canada >:(

Spookymufu

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 09:06:22 AM »
I sold an iPod that worked except the back light, I was completely honest in the description, got a buyer, sent it to him and the next thing I know he files a fraud claim against me with ebay. After a week of going back and fourth with ebay and this asshat, ebay pays him back and takes the money from me.....Ebay even said they didnt find any fraud in the listing but they still gave it back to him, I was ticked. So I listed it again and emphasized the back light did not work, sold it a second time and the buyer leaves me a neutral feedback saying the sale was perfect but he should have looked into the back light issue more....I couldnt even dispute the neutral feedback from him or the negative feedback the other guy gave me.....Thats what I hate about selling on ebay.
Up until that point I had 100% positive feedback, I also have 100% positive feedback on RS......those two guys screwed my feedback up

not to mention you get slammed by ebay with fees then PayPal slams you with more fees and they are both owned by ebay!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:10:20 AM by Spookymufu »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 09:17:36 AM »
That is another horror story of being a seller. I love how ebay can just take money out of your account whenever they feel like it. I had trouble with one foreign ebay auction where the seller recieved on of my boxes and not the other. He asked me when I sent it so I sent him the tracking number which said it was in the Ukraine. I told the buyer (Singapore) that I would contact the post office and figure out where it was and get it to him. The next day I wake up to see a dispute had been filed by the buyer. Ofcourse I responded that I did indeed send it and I can't help the post office sent one box to the wrong country even though both had the same address. Later that day he removed the dispute saying he got the item, but he never did apologize or leave any good feedback when he was the one who cried foul. I would have probably gotten the bad end of the stick if it went to ebay resolving it, but it didn't get that far. Still it would have been my word against his and when it gets there we all know who they are going to side with. I know one thing, when I am done selling off my extra part of my collection I am done with em. It isn't worth the hassle to me. Then, you always have the folks who win an auction and then can't pay. I have had to deal with a ton of those to the point I had to file a dispute. Ebay even sent me a message asking me if I was sure the buyer didn't pay before they would allow me (seller) to file the dispute. As you can see, it has definitely left me with a bad taste in my mouth for my fellow human beings. There is definitely some trash you will run into if you deal there for some time.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
One kind of dispute I havent tried is reporting buyer protection policy abuse where you can claim that a buyer is abusing the policy by claiming not to have gotten an item in an attempt to get a full refund for the item and shipping after receiving the item.

I got a bad feedback the other day from a buyer who didn't like that their item smelled like cigarette smoke. No personal message complaining or requesting partial refund or anything. Just a bad feedback. so much for my 100% rating.  Another thing I don't like is now, a seller cannot leave bad or even neutral feedback for a buyer, no matter how crappy they made the transaction.

It's bullocks, I say.

Offline Havoc_Hobby

• Havoc
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
ya i agree.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Wow, I didn't know that Clint. So bascially you are saying that a seller doesn't leave feedback for the buyer anymore? What the heck is gonna keep any buyer honest now?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
Oh a seller can leave feedback for a buyer..............as long as it's positive. the only thing close a seller can do to leaving negative feedback is leaving colorful comments on a buyer's positive feedback.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 01:47:36 PM »
Well that bites. I don't think feedback is even worth the number they list anymore.

Spookymufu

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
as a buyer I get ticked off when the seller wont give me feedback until I leave them some....I won the auction, I paid right away, I should get positive feedback right away, but no, they wait until I leave them feedback first, or they just forget to all together.
As a seller, I will give feedback right away when a buyer pays me, but usually have to bug them to get feedback back.....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:12:16 PM by Spookymufu »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
as a buyer I get ticked off when the seller wont give me feedback until I leave them some....I won the auction, I paid right away, I should get positive feedback right away, but no, they wait until I leave them feedback first, or they just forget to all together.
As a seller, I will give feedback right away when a seller pays me, but usually have to bug them to get feedback back.....
I don't normally give feedback as a seller until the buyer gives it. That way, I know they got their item without having to track it and I feel it inspires some to actually leave me some. That way, I don't have to bug them.
On the other hand, as a buyer, I always leave feedback when I receive the item.
Being a seller for like 6+ years now, there are probably 300 items that I have sold that I never got feedback for. Heck, I'll bet it's more than that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »
I haven't been selling for even that long and think the folks who haven't given me feedback is probably over a hundred.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »