Author Topic: Production Platform 3 - Doc's resin parts for sale  (Read 19613 times)

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: Production Platform 3 - Doc's resin parts for sale
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
Aw, thanks, Tamer!!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
I've been talking to a couple of different 3D folks, one of whom is part of a team that makes and sells 3D-printed designs on Shapeways and the other uses CAD as part of his QA/QC work in the oilfield-tools business.  I've been digging into things and I'm seeing a pattern emerging from the fog.

3D printing is a LOT more expensive than resin-casting.
3D printing at its least expensive has a very gritty surface texture.
3D designs can be altered fairly quickly and easily.
There is a HUGE treasure trove of 3d designs available for sale.

I made a joke on facebook today that started me to thinking.  Would it be feasible to run a Kickstarter campaign for the purpose of raising the funds needed to purchase a rather substantial set of designs (I'm thinking primarily crates and other similar diorama accessories, but the wall/floor/ceiling modules are a distinct possibility), have them modified, have them printed in the finest detail possible on Shapeways, and then mold and cast them?  Kickstarter has turned into something of a pre-order catalog, which wasn't its intended purpose, but which it seems to function rather well at.  I know we have the hallway displays crew running a kickstarter in order to get the machine they need and a lot of people are jumping on that bandwagon.  (I would too, if I'd not lost my job!)  I'm not looking to buy a printer for Production Platform 3 (yet), just the plans, modifications, initial printing of a high-quality part, and the molding/casting supplies needed to turn out parts.  Would folks be tentatively interested in supporting such an effort?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:09 AM »
Doc, this reminds me of the Indiegogo Campaign that Galactic Merchants started up to purchase their own 3D printer and supplies for their display diorama venture. They were fully funded in less than a week. I would go for it all. Get your designs and your printer man.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »
I had considered doing what they are doing MANY months ago, but wasn't convinced people would be interested in supporting such a venture.  Then the GM guys came along and went above and beyond my plans and folks jumped.  So now if I decide that based on*their* success to go with my own, are folks gonna balk, wondering "Why should I support this?  I just supported a similar one - what's different here?"

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
FLASHTRAFFIC - Production Platform 3 surveys going online!
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
New Product Survey

The holiday gift-shopping season is closing in and I need your help!!  Production Platform 3 is looking at bringing some seriously NEW products to market, but we need to know what you, our awesome customers, want to throw money at!  PLEASE take our survey and help us understand what you are looking for most!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:21 AM »
While they aren't available for sale yet, I do have to say I had a couple of "qualified successes" this week at casting torsos.  This will lead, hopefully, to things like removable armor and new BAD parts.  Weekend plans are to clean up one torso in order to test-fit original arms and waist-piece to the recast torso.

Also, half a dozen handheld tools made it into the molds and are turning out quite well.  Pics should be available over the weekend of those, as well. 

So all in all, stay tuned!  Lots of new things are on the way!

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:15 PM »
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102165/#post19231809

Stephen Hayford posted his Labor Day holiday dio over on RS and was kind enough to post some making-of's and some close-ups of different parts of the dio.  Scroll down and check out the Snowie running away from the wampas.  Check out the BOX he's running past!  And coolness of coolness, a shout-out!  He did an amazing job converting my simple box to the one that was used on Hoth with the tanks on top and the hoses - I looked twice to be sure it really was mine!  It's been a rough few days and getting that kind of shout-out did my mood a world of good.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »
Congrats Doc. Sorry to hear it has been a rough few days for you.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
Bad enough I had to work for thieves, perverts, and backstabbers.  But then to be denied my unemployment benefits.  grrr.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Does anyone else think "Binary Load-lifter" when they see this???  I found this on a 3d models site (for sale) and thought it would make an awesome "mini-rig"/action-figure, if I get someone who can modify files for me to have printed out for molding and casting...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »
Looks pretty cool to me. Slap an imperial symbol on the side of that puppy and put it to work in SD Hangarbays. I can easily see it doing service with the Rebels too.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
I imagine we'll have a go at this in the future...

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
Used to, you had to win a contest to pick up our parts in a color other than raw resin.  But from now until the calendar changes from March 31st to April 1st in the wee hours of the morning, you are a winner.  Every order of $100 or more in resin parts placed between now and 12:01am Central time on April 1st will receive a FREE Cargo Bay Starter Set cast in colored resin, colors selected at random and not likely to match each other at all.  This set sells for $18.50 uncolored, but can be yours in color for FREE.  Use them as they come, give them a quick black-wash, or do a light dry-brushing – no matter how you use them, your cargo bays will thank you.  Don't be an April Fool when you wake up on the 1st – order now and get your exclusive pre-colored Cargo Bay Starter Set!

Follow us on Facebook at - https://www.facebook.com/ProductionPlatform3
Shop our store online at - http://productionplatform3.ecrater.com/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:47 AM »

This is the set he is talking about folks. I have the picture linked to his ecrater store link.

Time to go share this news on the front page.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks, Tamer - I appreciate the front-page exposure!  Yeah, I didn't even THINK to include a pic of the set last night. That's the set - in raw resin - that's FREE with every $100 order through the end of the month.  Colors will vary, shades of color will vary, NOTHING WILL MATCH!  Give your cargo-bays that realistic lived-in look, no matter what galaxy you build in...