Author Topic: Tamer's Bloggy Blog Blog  (Read 53497 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Tamer's Bloggy Blog Blog
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Well guys a ten dollar figure price for basic figs has me wondering about whether or not to finally change my focus. I have been playing with it for some time due to space as I have most of my carded collection in rubbermaid which seems a waste as I don't have the space to store that either. I am thinking of just going after the figs I like and perhaps giving up hasbro except for a few ships and figs here and there. I am thinking of clearing out most of my stuff and making space for GG and Sideshow when the inevitable imperial troopers start coming out. What do you think folks? As I value your opinions highly I figured I would get the take from the guys who understand me, my focus, as well as the limitations of size and space.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »
Tamer, I gotta say that this doesnt sound like you at all. Don't forget how much space you could save if only.......you were an opener. Man, think how cool your collection would look if only you could display it all at once, Carded or not.
  Do you have a garage at the ole Tamer Homestead? Line those walls with your carded figs if there is enough space. Mabey you could put some in star cases and line the celing kind of like I used to do with Iron Maiden posters when I was a kid." I still have those stored by the way"

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008, 04:51:25 AM »
Thats part of the problem Clint, I just don't have any more space. I also don't see me ever having a garage if I do not start saving a bit for it. I try not to spend a huge amount on star wars each year, but if I do the adding thing I know it comes to well over $1,200 smackers a year. I also don't see me being able to continue to keep my one of each focus with figure prices going up the way they are. I haven't made any set in stone decision yet as my wife is trying to calm me down of all people. I am gonna think on it for awhile.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2008, 07:34:22 AM »
Shawn, I completely understand your dilemma, it's one I share as well.  I, too, am out of space, all of my carded figs are stored in rubbermaid containers in my basement, and for what?  The rising cost of everything is getting out of hand, not to mention Hasbro's inability to really do much in the way of "new."  Sure, we get a few things here and there, but something like a crappy chunk of plastic with 3 rehashed figures and making it an "exclusive" for $50?  Worthless to me.  I much enjoy my GGs and SSCs a LOT more than Hasbro these days, and I'm already to the point of only collecting specific figures that I like.  It's even to the point to where army building is not worth it anymore.  I say save your money, buy less.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
I am leaning that way. Ofcourse I will keep all my Hothy type stuff, but I am thinking of letting all the other hasbro stuff go by the wayside. I will wait a few more weeks to see how I feel, but I am already thinking of taking back the new stuff I have bought as I saved all my walmart reciepts.  I am not quite there yet, but close. If you guys are wanting anything you might want to let me know so I can hold it for you if I do decide to sell. I am probably gonna try to go to ebay and just put it up to see what it brings unless there are specific items you guys want.  Course I doubt I am the only one seeing the economic writing on the wall. I just want to free up some space in my house too. I haven't been able to work on my basement large bathroom because all my rubbermaid is in it. I also see me getting a lot more enjoyment out of a displayed GG ATAT driver mini bust than I do of multiple hasbro items sitting in a tote, not to mention a nice lcd tv I could be putting in my new den to really watch some football! I guess I have seen the writing on the wall for a few years now, but seeing that ten dollar basic figure price was nuts yesterday.  I don't see that condition improving either. I think I  would stay with it if hasbro would produce less with better styles of figs (articulation, paint styles, etc.).

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2008, 03:15:26 AM »
I hear ya mate and it's the direction i took some time ago. Just concentrating on figs and hardly nothing else (well maybe a comic pack or BD pack here..lol) but i took the decision to stop with vehicles and larger stuff to just single figs and the odd Koto. The prices over here are horrible. I'd love $10 figs if that was a reduction here (from $15) but it's what is happening around us in the world that is going crazy with our beloved hobby.

All you can do is maybe scale back and be more selective....and i'll say that when i ring yas next..... ;)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »
sounds good Greg, I might have a few figs  you will want too. I will still have the fun of finding stuff, just stuff that I am liking. Don't get me wrong folks, I love all the new clones and the new sculpts, but space and cost just doesn't seem like a realistic use for my resources, not to mention a life in rubbermaid is no way to collect.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 03:06:04 AM »
Don't worry Shawn, things will get better. We as a collecting community just have to collect smarter with the ever rising prices......

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 04:29:22 AM »
Don't worry Shawn, things will get better. We as a collecting community just have to collect smarter with the ever rising prices......

Those are words to live by in regards to collecting Greg. There is no way I could get out of collecting as I just like it too much, but I am gonna have to put some limits on it and just focus on stuff I really like. Daggone Pat is getting me hooked on Gentle Giant and Sideshow so I have to make sure I only get from hasbro what I really do like. The HOTH stuff.

Offline Darth Aussie

• Major
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 06:16:38 AM »
Hear hear!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
Well it was a busy outdoors type weekend here at the house. Got a few chores as well as a few hobby chores dones. We have my wife's Bday party today and I got her a new digital camera.  Our old one is on the fritz and she had her eye on one for a bit. She knew she was getting it, but at least it was what she wanted. She even offered to let me use it a bit on here so it was kind of a win win. My father in law stayed over to watch the Arizona vs. Dallas game so it ended up being a pretty nice day.  I am in a pretty good mood as this is a short week for work for me as I am taking off a few days to go hunting.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2008, 03:13:19 PM »
Sounds like a hunting expidition is coming your way there, buddy. You will have to warm that new camera up. Be sure to wish Mrs. Tamer the happiest of birthdays from the Shipyards.
  How is that jerky production going?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »
I might just have to send you some and you can tell me how it turned out! I think it has been my best batch yet. Be warned though, I make it have a bit of bite and cut the meat so it stays on the chewy side. You have good teeth?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
My overbite has made the top incisers kind of thin but I believe that they are still strong. Is it that chewie? Kind of a bite huh? Pretty spicey?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
My overbite has made the top incisers kind of thin but I believe that they are still strong. Is it that chewie? Kind of a bite huh? Pretty spicey?

It is a lot tougher than beef jerky thats for sure and I use a good bit of pepper in it.