Author Topic: Vintage Star Wars dioramas from 1978  (Read 3166 times)

Offline flaccideagle

• Commander
Vintage Star Wars dioramas from 1978
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

While taking a break from my latest custom, I stumbled upon this seller on eBay who has a lovely set of photos of vintage dioramas using Star Wars figures, which were submitted for a 1978 contest for FAMOUS MONSTERS Magazine. 

For those not familiar, FM from Warren Publishing / Forrest Ackerman, was one of the great genre magazines of the 60's/70's, and a staple of model makers and sci fi fans in the 60's & 70's. 

These photos provides perhaps one of the earliest looks at our hobby of Star Wars customizing, from the summer of 1978.  As you can see, a variety of figures and techniques are used... I included some of the info and credits as shared by the seller.

"FROM THE COLLECTION OF FORREST J ACKERMAN.

Four different 11" x 14" black and white photos of STAR WARS dioramas submitted to FAMOUS MONSTERS magazine for a contest in 1978. These were apparently in-house enlargements made so that the dioramas could be judged equally. These photos are original prints, not copies, and are the ones actually used in the contest. In four auctions I'm listing four different photos in each auction. In some cases the person who submitted the diorama to FAMOUS MONSTERS is identified on the back of the photo, while others have no identifications given. All photos in very fine condition and are one of a kind."

---------

In this auction, all four entrants are identified and credited on the back of the photos. ALAN SPINA of Niagara Fall, NY. TIM KEEGAN of New York, NY. ALBERTO RAMIREZ (4th place) of Laredo, Texas and STEVEN SIMAK (5th place, entry letter included) from Brooklyn, NY.

In this auction, none of the entrants are identified.

In this auction, only entrant COMILO VARGOS  of Bronx, New York is identified and credited with third place. Second place is also listed here, but not who did it, the same with first place (photo at bottom right).

In this auction, only entrants CHRIS JIMMERON of Salem, Oregon and JODY PRICE of Anderson, Ind. are identified and credited.

Yes, two of these prints in this listing are identical as there are two prints of this one image for some reason.

-------------

These are available for sale (i have no affiliation with the seller!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-1-1978-STAR-WARS-FAMOUS-MONSTERS-diorama-contest-/370287621628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5636dcb5fc

Also of incidental interest, is this letter for sale which discusses with J.Warren the upcoming release of Star Wars in March 1977:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORREST-ACKERMAN-two-page-1977-letter-James-Warren-/370389565374?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item563cf03fbe

Hope you enjoy these pictures !!!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Re: Vintage Star Wars dioramas from 1978
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
What an amazing post, thanks so much for showing them to us, man does it make me feel old. Seeing these images is another reminder of what started all of this off in the first place....

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »
Damn I remember seeing these when I was a kid and I loved them then and still do, and Jules I know how you feel buddy  ;D

Ron

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »
cool! they look the nuts