Author Topic: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord  (Read 22969 times)

Offline darknsour

• Captain
Re: Building a Better Boba: Greetings from Darklord
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »
WOW!!!

This is truly a work of art!!!!!

Great job!!!

Can't wait to see whats next!!!

Rich

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:33 AM »
Thanks for those awesome pics. They do show the details better and the new pouch treatment looks even better than the first try. Very well done my friend!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 04:07:49 PM »
this is looking superb. 

I love the adjusted rangefinder with the staple, great technique.

the wookie braids are somethign i've been wanting to do for a long time, what type thread are you useing? are you braiding them yourself?

Might I offer a detail that I put on one of my older mando/boba figs?  you mentioned the toe barbs...  It looks realy sweet if you trim off the molded on details and then take and insert two needle pin tips (with the sharp end out of course) in the correct spots for the barbs.  when I did this I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the needles with while I heated them with a lighter, then gently pushed them into the correct position in the foot.  The heated pin will sink into the plastic as it melts around it, when it cools it should hold secure.     It makes for a very effective sharp, metalic toe-barb!

Offline kreeper2

• Brigadier
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
well thats it next to this i feel like a kid playing with my finger paints that one bad ass custom sir.

Offline Darklord1967

• Roberto DARKLORD Williams
  • Ensign
  • Peace, Love, Elegance, and Excellence to all!
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »
FINALIZING THE ARMOR

Alright, when last we saw custom Boba Fett, there were a few items that were awaiting attention on my “Still Pending” list.  The first item on that list was to make all of Fett’s armor its final color.

That task is what I concentrated on this evening.  However, as usual, what I estimated to be a quick operation took me all night:

The collar armor, back armor plate (backpack mount), and crotch armor all needed their final paint job to match the torso armor plates (factory-painted at Hasbro).

The collar and back armor pieces needed prep by having the original factory paint carefully sanded off by hand.  

Next, I used the Hasbro painted torso armor pieces as color reference to mix the paint for the collar, back, and crotch armor.

Using my Valejo hobby paint set, I was able to mix up a VERY, VERY close duplication of the flat green for Boba’s armor.  

I loaded up my airbrush and went to work.

Once the newly painted armor pieces were dry, I placed them back onto the figure and checked their final color accuracy under a white light against the Hasbro factory painted torso armor pieces.

I drilled a tiny hole into the back of the collar armor  to accommodate Boba’s side cape, and cut the fastening lead of the cape into a very fine point. I applied some glue, and then inserted the cape into the hole in the armor.

Another series of photos to check the color accuracy and quality of Boba’s new armor paint-job:

I love how this photo demonstrates the preservation of this figure’s slender build despite the addition of the soft-goods flak vest and the torso armor pieces.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:43:48 AM by Darklord1967 »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
The attention to just every detail really pushes this one to new levels. Wow is an understatement. Back to the front page.

Offline Art deWhill

• Marshal
  • I am making this up as I go.
    • Art deWhill's Canvas
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »
 :o :o never saw something like this... outstanding details and figure!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2010, 09:24:01 AM »
This is amazing work! The helmet with your metal rangefinder arm is just so perfect! Still blows me away when I see it and that flak vest. The side shot is a jaw dropper, so slender and life like. The paint color came out great and really glad to see you moving along on this. Thanks for the update!

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »
i thought this would be a 12" figure because of the attention to detail ... its friggin amazing

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
This is truly an awesome piece of work. I wish I could have one like this. Hasbro pay attention. This is how Boba Fett SHOULD be made.

I think the only thing I would prefer (THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, NOT A CRITIQUE)  is to have the mismatched green and red  gauntlets and instead of bare hands I would have the gloves.  However, let me reiterate that I could NOT make such a figure and in no way criticizing this amazing custom.

The Force is definitely your ally.

Let me echo beige-4...friggin amazing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:11:13 AM by Mungo Baobab »

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
This is truly an awesome piece of work. I wish I could have one like this. Hasbro pay attention. This is how Boba Fett SHOULD be made.

I think the only thing I would prefer (THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, NOT A CRITIQUE)  is to have the mismatched green and red gauntlets and instead of bare hands I would have the gloves.  However, let me reiterate that I could NOT make such a figure and in no way criticizing this amazing custom.

The Force is definitely your ally.

Let me echo beige-4...friggin amazing.

look back a few pages he already has gloves for boba ..

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
damn that's coming together very nicely.  VERY well done indeed. 
watching the progression of this figure is a thrill if I say so myself.  with each installment the details and the awesomeness just builds upon everything you've already accomplished. 

I for one know that I will never again attempt makeing a screen accurate boba fett again in my customizing career... I will not give up my love for mando customs, there is just no way I could ever get a boba to look as good as this one does.

phenomenal.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
words.............fail me.......... :o
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
This Boba simply RULES all other figures. I am also wondering why go with the bare hands?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
This Boba simply RULES all other figures. I am also wondering why go with the bare hands?

guys... read the thread instead of just looking at the pictures.
he clearly states in a previous post that the hands are stand ins right now, he hasn't worked out the fine details of the gloves yet and he will paint them when he does.

what part of "work in progress" is so hard to grasp?
sorry to call yall out but it's been said twice now and someone ALREADY pointed out that the answer was in the thread....   ::)