Author Topic: Hangarbay's Dioramas  (Read 21438 times)

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
Hangarbay's Dioramas
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
Hi everyone, I hope you are all keeping well!

It's been a while since I've produced a new diorama, but for anyone who's been watching the Custom vehicle forum, you'll know that I've been customising an assortment of Alliance craft recently. Well that's not all I've been doing, there are a pile of custom figures and droids all waiting to be posted here, but I want to finish off the whole project before showing off the fruits of my labour.

For those of you who have been following the X-Wing Alliance Web-Comic, you'll know that the last chapter saw our hero Ace Azzameen get into some serious bother. In fact it is a dark time for the Alliance too as they've just suffered the defeat at Hoth and the Empire are relentless in their search for their remaining fleet. Well, without giving too much away, let's just say that in a short while the story moves away from the Azzameen Family base and into the heart of the conflict between the Empire and the Alliance, and in doing so I need to create some new dioramas and sets for the story. One of the sets is the Calamari Cruiser Liberty's main Hangar Bay.

Many of you may have realised by now, that I take simplest approach to creating my dioramas, I mainly use sheets of Mount Board and decals to create large sets as it's far less expensive than using polystyrene sheets and scratchbuilding. I also need to fold everything away for storage, as having a 5ft diorama spread out in our living room is not going to go down too well with my long suffering Star Wars wife. Most of the time creating the dio is spent on the PC designing the decal sheets, once they have been done the whole thing usually takes a couple of nights to put together.

This diorama is possibly going to be my last large one so it needs to have some extra ooomph, I want to create more wall greeblies and ledges, so there will be some foam-core attachments fixed on using Velcro. I will also make this available for everyone to download, so anyone can create it if they've got a printer. So watch this space everyone, cos the Liberty is on it's way!!!

For those of you who haven't seen what can be created using mountboard, here is a refresher...the images below are the other hangars and sets I've created using the Mount-board. Everything you see below folds totally flat and is still stored behind my kids sofa in their playroom. The Death Star and Yavin 4 are actually the same diorama, the panels simply reverse.
Death Star

Azzameen base

Yavin4

Coruscant Underworld

Palpatine's Holochamber (Coruscant)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:03:15 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
Re: Calamari Cruiser Liberty Hangar (X-Wing Alliance) W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:45:23 AM »
Jules your dios are awesome. I have to tell you I miss the DarkChild Chronicles. Anyway, keep up the good work my friend.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:41:54 AM »
A bigger better diorama? Jules, I know better than to suggest that you couldn't top what you have already shown us because you do it time and time again. I can only sit back and enjoy the ride.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:28 AM »
Ohhhhh, the anticipation has me drooling! I agree with with Clint, this will be a mind blower as you always out do yourself with each new project.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
Thanks very much guys. Luke, you'll like this one as this tally's along nicely with your Rogue Squadron customs.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
I can't wait to see this one, Jules!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
Color me giddy and we ain't even SEEN it yet!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »
Jules I know man! I am wanting to box up my crew with the Big Mother Trucker and send them to you just to see them in this thing along with all your new ships!

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »
Folks I've finished creating all of the decals for the diorama/playset.

Here is the floor plan, I have tried to copy the pattern shown in the original matte painting shown above...

The floor will use up 20 A4 sticker sheets, so it's not quite my largest as the Azzameen home base is 25 A4 sheets.

And here are some of the wall panels...

I've taken Niub Niub's idea of decal sheets and upped the game a little by giving the decals a more realistic look.

The rear wall will be 3 A4 sheets high x 4 wide and the main long wall will be 3 x 5wide. There will also be a ridge section jutting out 1.5 x 1...sorry if that all sounds gobbledeygook, you'll get it when I put it all together.

There will also be a door and corridor section, just to add a bit more depth to the diorama. Most of the dio will be flat pack except for the ridge section, which will be made from foamcore. It will attach to the main structure by Velcro.

So far I've used about half an ink cartridge set £30 and have purchased a pack of 100 A4 sticker sheets and 5 x mount boards, total spend about £45.00. The whole diorama will be available to download free at www.xwa-webcomic.com for members only. Along with the decal sheets will be easy to follow plans for decal locations, so sign up now, and check out the web-comic and other cool stuff while you are there. .

More updates soon as I should have this baby built on Saturday night.
Tools needed: Roll of Duck tape, sharp craft knife, scissors, hot glue gun, cutting board.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:15:47 AM by hangarbay94 »

Offline CloneCommander Buy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
That is awsome Hangerbay. Can not wait to see it finished. I'll have to go to your web site and check it out.
Those are really cool!

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
Oh my! That looks just right Jules! I wonder how much it would cost me to get this printed on vinyl at my local sign shop? That may be overkill but man would it be extra krispy. When he got a new printer 3 yrs ago the first thing he printed was a Vader with lava behind it 2' x 4'. He knew I was a SW fan so he gave it to me. Back on track now, this is sweet Jules and I will be eagerly awaiting your post over the weekend when you get her done.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
Jules your photoshop work is the most impressive around mate, the details on them look so 3D realistic keep up teh amazing work.

Ron

Offline LostBoy

• Ensign
    • Lost Boys World
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
Is it possible that I can use the wall dacals for a further project?

I like the design.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
Lost boy, I'll be posting the decals along with instructions on how to build the diorama on my web site www.xwa-webcomic.com. If you join you'll get an e-mail notification as soon as it's posted.

Offline LostBoy

• Ensign
    • Lost Boys World
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
I did!

Thank you for the link, there are a lot of great decals!

Great!!!