Author Topic: 12" replicas of vintage 3.75" figures  (Read 4843 times)

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
12" replicas of vintage 3.75" figures
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
Not exactly news at this point, but anyone care to share their thoughts on this line?

I have to say when I first saw these announced I was pretty stoked.  Then I found out they were $65 a shot and a lot of the wind went out of my sails.  Sucker that I am though, I convinced myself that I really should collect this line.  Ya know...to help the economy.  I went to Gentle Giant's website and attempted to pre-order only to eventually find out you have to pay for the privilege to buy these figures--something on the order of $60 to $70 per year is the fee.   ::)  Good grief, I realize if I were to collect the line and spread out the  "privilege cost" it might actually be fairly small per figure; but WOW!   :o  This was a real a sanity check for me.  I've bought an occasional Gentle Giant item in the past but I'll be boycotting them from now on just on the principle. 

Can't help but read the reviews on these figures posted by folks that are getting them.  As cool as they look for the older generation who is fond of the vintage stuff, the common consensus seems to be the line is $30 to $40 overpriced.  I can't help but believe the markup on these guys are insane.  Personally I believe GG could have moved 10 times the product at half the price and made a ton more money for themselves.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: 12" replicas of vintage 3.75" figures
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
Well I, because of some rather thoughtful and quick footwork from Phatty, was able to get both the boba and the stormy. I plan on reviewing them via video here in a bit, but my overall consensus is that I love them! Yes, I agree the price is a bit steep if you plan on doing them all and opening them, but the packaging is just phenomenal and the plastic cases they are in are sturdy as all get out, which imo alone would count for me paying 10 or 15 dollars. They look just like the vintage figures I remember as a kid. I am probably gonna hate Pat even more for getting me hooked on these, but they really do bring back the nostalgia for me in regards to collecting when I was a kid. I fell hook, line, and sinker.

Now, as for the GG Site, I do totally agree with you that paying to be a PG member for me is a bit of overkill in regards to really wanting just a few things a year. I am really wanting the 21-b bust, but can't see the sense in paying 60 bucks to pay that same price again for the bust. I must also say their customer service has left me in the lurch. So that part I can agree with. Their product is so daggone nice though. I don't think any licensee can touch it.

My solution is to buy most of my GG items from www.mostwantedcollectibles.com as they beat the GG Store prices. They ship great and quick too. Ok, enough plugging, but I am hooked on them and plan on using them for all my future GG purchases.

As far as the GG exclusive items I may have an offer for you. I am just wanting the 21-b bust so perhaps we could split one PG membership and then you could order the 12inch figs as I have them and I could order the 21-b bust.  I am really just wanting some Battle of Hoth items so for the most part you could order what you wanted.  If that sounds like something you could stomach pm me and we can work out the details.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »
Tamer,

I appreciate the offer to split a PM cost--it's a great idea, but Gentle Giant, as a company, has really rubbed me the wrong way.  I'm gonna stick to my proverbial guns with my boycott.  I got to thinking, the $1000 I would have eventually spent on all these 12 inch figures could go nicely towards making extra payments on my house.

And I also agree the packaging on these guys is worth a few bucks alone to us guys who grew up in the vintage era.  In my mind though, I just keep going back to the 12 inch figures Kenner/Hasbro started putting out when they first relaunched the line in the 90s.  Sure they weren't that spectacular, but they were a LOT more complex than these figures.  And toward the end of Hasbro's 12" run they did a few vintage style packages too without raising the price--i.e. packaging costs are pretty much the same as long as the basic designs are consistent.

I understand GG isn't producing in the quantities Hasbro did, which in turn means higher prices; but part of that is GG's fault.  I truly believe they could have cranked out several factors more than they have, got a price break that comes with producing larger quantities, and made a lot more money for themselves while simultaneously making a lot more customers happy.

All that said, there's no denying these things look cool to me.  I've noticed a lot of folks in the post vintage era that we live in buy tons of stuff with the prospect that it will make them money down the road.  Looking at the trends in the last 15 years, new stuff is worth the most right after it's released and JUST after it's not readily available.  Wait longer for this stuff, and you're almost guaranteed to get it for less than it originally sold for by someone who just wants to make a quick buck and finally realizes he's  not sitting on a gold mine.  This is the approach I'll use for these figures.

And...looking forward to reviews on these figures!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
I know I sure can't fault any of your logic in the past post guy. Still, if you change your mind, I am game!

Offline Rodger

• WoodGuy
  • Commander
  • Jedi Master of Wood and Light
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »
Went to the BBTS from your front page link (hope you make some money on it) to check out a $4 comic book two pack and end up spending $100+  :P

Been wanting the 12" Jawa (wonder why) but since I mainly do 4" stuff didn't know how it was packaged since the pics only show a loose fig.

The Giant carded fig I saw when I opened the box blew my away even though the fig is only 7.5" tall.  It is Very Cool !!  ;D

Want more. The Tuskin Raider is on my short list. Hope they do a bunch of these even though they are a bit pricey.

I think they aren't to bad and at 14"x 18" they are HUGE !!
:o
The New Sandcrawler Workshop on Facebook

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Rodger, I have the Boba and The Stormy from this line and I like em both. I plan to get all that have TESB cardbacks. And you are right they are huge!

And I am not sure we get credit with BBTS, but they are a site sponsor so we really appreciate you using our links Rodger.