Author Topic: ><DarthSinister's >< Checkered Past  (Read 3424 times)

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
><DarthSinister's >< Checkered Past
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
Well I've got the art thread going, but as some of you know I have dabbled a little in custom figures.

Not much, but a little.

I had just gotten started in the actual customizing part when my life became overbearingly busy, too busy to continue.

As it stands now my office and Star Wars stuff is still all packed up here in our new residence awaiting me to begin it's inevitable set up.

Of coarse time is still short so it wont happen any time soon.

In the mean time I'm going to post a "get acquainted" thread here so everyone knows I can do a little plastic work.

Keep in mind these are all older and also first attempts to get into this hobby.

This first one is a rough attempt at a MARVEL comics Star Wars character. A Bounty Hunter called Valance the Hunter. I believe I used a MU Punisher body and head, and a whole lotta Fix-It sculpt.

This is one of my first attempts at a custom head. I used Sculpey Firm for the master and cast it in plastic. Doc Outlands got one of these after I was done, it was supposed to be a likeness of actor Michael Ironside.

Crazy looking Dark Lord head cast in plastic.

Valance half Cyborg head cast in plastic.

Mando head cast in plastic.

Interesting helmet design cast in plastic.

Mosep head cast in plastic.

MARVEL comics Jolli cast in plastic.

Rough and unfinished Jaxxon from MARVEL's Star Wars.

Sgt. Doallyn working helmet and head reveal cast in plastic.

Just a few things to ponder.

One day I'll get the "Batcave" back up and running.

Offline DanOfTheDead

• Lieutenant
Re: ><DarthSinister's >< Checkered Past
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
Yes, PLEASE get back into this. You're way too talented a sculptor to not being doing more customs! Your virtual work is excellent and fun, but nothing beats a real, physical custom!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »
Yes, PLEASE get back into this. You're way too talented a sculptor to not being doing more customs! Your virtual work is excellent and fun, but nothing beats a real, physical custom!

I will Dan.

As soon as I'm done with some house remodeling. The home we just moved out of needed some work done before I could put it up for rent. That's what I've been doing lately. When thats done I've got a few more things to do on the house we're living in and then the little woman said I can take a break. ::)

When I broke my hand last year it was a huge set back. I actually haven't done any sculpting since the break. It was a pretty bad one. I had to have three screws put in... so I guess you could say I'm a cyborg. ;D

Offline botwt

• Brigadier
    • Botwt's Star Wars Figure Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
Ditto!  :o

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
Holy cow Sinister!

Those figures are just smokin!

Clint is gonna love some of your great head and helmet sculpts. Fantastic. Wow, I hate to think of you not continueing this great customizing. Glad to hear you plan on getting back to it. I do like your graphics and can see you have the same skill as it pertains to physical customizing too. Daggone I wish I had even a smidgen of the art talent you guys show on an everyday occasion.

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
Ditto!  :o

Thanks bot!

Holy cow Sinister!

Those figures are just smokin!

Clint is gonna love some of your great head and helmet sculpts. Fantastic. Wow, I hate to think of you not continueing this great customizing. Glad to hear you plan on getting back to it. I do like your graphics and can see you have the same skill as it pertains to physical customizing too. Daggone I wish I had even a smidgen of the art talent you guys show on an everyday occasion.

I humbly thank you Tamer.

And as I said to Dan, I will get back to it. I've just got a lot on my plate right now. 

As for Clint, I'm sure there is a lot I can learn from him. I got his E-Bay store marked on the profile there. I only took this up a year or two ago.

I've always had a want to do it though.

I think what stops a lot of people is that they just can bring themselves to cut up a perfectly good figure. ;D

Offline JediMerc

• Brigadier
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
Your Jaxxon looks fantastic!  With quality figs like this, it's hard not to like that character...I guess I've been won over on Jaxxon!  ;D

I love the work you've done on the sculpt of Valance; very nice job on the chest configuration and mechanical details.

I'm really interested in that unpainted alien head sculpt posted just beneath your Sgt. Doallyn mask...is that an original sculpt?

Light side, dark side...meh.  Just give me a lightsaber and a blaster and I'll take care of it!

Offline DarthSinister

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Your Jaxxon looks fantastic!  With quality figs like this, it's hard not to like that character...I guess I've been won over on Jaxxon!  ;D

I love the work you've done on the sculpt of Valance; very nice job on the chest configuration and mechanical details.

I'm really interested in that unpainted alien head sculpt posted just beneath your Sgt. Doallyn mask...is that an original sculpt?

Jaxxon and the gang really are a lot of fun. You have to remember comic books in the 70's weren't like they are today, full of glitz and glamor and high paid artists and story tellers. They were considered junk for the most part.
"1970's comics were 10% story 10% artistry and 80% imagination!" You can quote me on that.

That Jaxxon custom is roughed out prototyping at best. I even colored it with markers. Wait till I deliver a good one!

Valance was an experiment with Fix-It sculpt. I bought some off of the internet after seeing SithFire's stuff and did this that very night. I think it was my first custom.

The alien head under Doallyn is an original. It is meant to be the type of race that Doallyn was to go under the helmet. It was done with the rough description from Wookipedia. One is a clean version of the species, the other is the disfigured version as Doallyn was disfigured from an attack under the helmet. I did those for a friend on Rebel Scum.