Author Topic: spudafett's Iron Man hall of armors...  (Read 2711 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
spudafett's Iron Man hall of armors...
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Right now this is just in it's planning stages but here is the idea:

an iron man hall of armors diorama with a small workstation/worktable in the center of the entire thing with the holographic figure sitting atop it with my custom plain clothes tony working on it...

I want to eventually light the entire dio with LEDs, one on each of the "Hall of armors" armors and then another set of lights on the holo figure.  I hoped that it would be black light reactive and I'd finally get a use out of some UV LED's that I bought....

sure enough, it is UV reactive, check it out:

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
Re: spudafett's Iron Man hall of armors...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
hey Devin i wonder if you were able to take your UV light in to store and check out if the abdomen and shoulders glow on any of the same figure you are showing us now...( i am not familiar with these figures or that figure itself weather that part it's self is painted or if its the same as the glowing parts ) What i am getting at is... that i have seen an ebay Auction where (cant remeber the SW Figure) under the UV light he had about 10 or more of the same figure with different parts glowing and in each one of them(only 1 or 2 pieces in each pack)
so maybe go check out if you can find the rest of the body parts, that react the same way as the rest of glowing parts (keep it clean lol) and keep it all looking consistent, i hope it is the same case for this figure with your talent of pulling apart figures you could have a real looking hologram above the table...

Sounds like a great idea what you are doing mate and i look forward to seeing how this shapes up, my best mate has the 8 inch ones from the first movie and they look fricken sweet lined up from mark 1 all the way up, shame they didnt continue that line of figure they looked really cool and would have been nice to see the new ones line up along side them...  

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 05:59:52 AM »
clonecommander, if I understand you question correctly you are under the assumption that some of the holo figure's might have parts that react better than other coppies the same figure? and that the main part your questioning is the middle torso and the shoulders of this figure?

the problem isn't that it might be a defective part in this single figure, it's the type of plastic and the type of mold they used for that specific part.  The middle torso section of the iron man figures is a two piece, clam-shell hard plastic.  where as the rest of the figure is made from the softer, pliable rubbery plastic that is molded in a single solid piece.  The slight difference in material shows up under the blacklight because the harder plastic doesn't react as well.

as for the shoulders I supose the issue there is two-fold.   The position of the UV bulb is below the figure so it could be shadow issues, OR the shoulder pads are not as reactive to the UV light.

Based on these issues I believe that EVERY copy of this figure will have the same glowing parts, with approximately the same intensity (depending on the light sorce of course).

but as for the diorama I plan on making it look alot like tony's garage and place the best of the armors in there in a two story display....  as well as work on a plain clothes rhodes and pepper to include in the dio...

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:31:21 AM »
yeah thats right mate.. the Torso,
 i just found the pics so it be better to show you what i mean, i would have assumed the same thing until i saw these pics, worth giving it a go if you can  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120592380147#ht_500wt_1094

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
ya know... I hate to be a skeptic but I realy don't see how that makes those figures true "variants".   for all you know he took the photos under a black light and used photoshop to enhance different sections of the figures...

but most likely it's being cause by a variation in the paint itself used on these figures.  The iron man figure is cast in clear plastics and thus will most likely have the same UV-reactiveness for every figure.
However, I might just take a small UV-light with me next time to k-mart to see what happens.  But at 25 bucks a pack for this holo-figure (it's in an exclusive 3 pack) I doubt I'd buy another one no matter how much better it reacts! lol

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:27 AM »
Devin, I'm so looking forward to the completion, and even the WIPs of this dio!  This is going to be so freakin' cool!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:58:09 AM »
Devin, I'm so looking forward to the completion, and even the WIPs of this dio!  This is going to be so freakin' cool!

I'm probably going to start putting this together this week... it's a big project so I'll probably move REALY slow on it!

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
here's a new piece that I'll be adding to my dio...

Offline commanderCharlie

• Captain
  • need republic commando action figures!!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
the detail on them is very nice especilly the flaes

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
the detail on them is very nice especilly the flaes

well, I bought it that way.  It's just a die-cast replica.  I did not customize it in any way.  I actually found it loose at a flea market type store for 12 bucks. 

Offline commanderCharlie

• Captain
  • need republic commando action figures!!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
oh then it will look very nice on a dio

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »
Dang Spud That is Hot! >:D

Offline beige-4

• When the unknown speak , people listen .
  • Banned
  • Admiral
  • your famous ! bask in it !
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
i like the last shot