Author Topic: My Father's Legacy  (Read 5378 times)

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
Re: My Father's Legacy
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
The apple certainly did not fall far from the tree here, Jules.
It was a beautiful piece before restoration, and your final product is indeed breathtaking.
And to pass this on and share it with the next generation of mastercraftsmen, for that is what both you and your father are, is something others only dream of.
A very touching story and a happy ending of sorts.
Thanks for sharing this masterpiece with us, Jules.

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »
I'm not going to lie, as a father myself, that story puts some tears in the old eyes, luckily, I was able to control it, :)

Thank you for sharing.

Offline CloneSniper78

• Admiral
  • I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in th
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »
Beautiful story Jules. I was fighting back tears myself. My grandfather use to build train sets too. As a boy me and my brother had one of his creations in our room. It could fold down from the wall when you wanted to use it. Kind of like those beds that fold out from the wall. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your story with all of us.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
My Girlfriend has a grandbaby boy and I was considering doing up a decent sized trainset layout for him using my dusty diorama skills. Perhaps I can inspire Pat to get his set going.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 02:57:54 AM »
Yepper Jules, one great story. I am sure your father looked down on you that day and definitely enjoyed your outing right along with you. I too hope to give my daughter some of the same feelings as this.

Offline hannsfartknocker

• Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
  • Commodore
    • hannsfartknocker's youtube
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 12:21:36 AM »
thats a great story hb94
"But… it was so artistically done."
-Thrawn's last words

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:11 AM »
I didn't know we had this section, after stumbling onto Spuda's thread, I was looking and love this kind of stuff. Love the boat, love the story about the  Synagogues and love the story about the log books. My dad used to be into slot cars and trains when he was younger, nothing huge, just small tracks and kits he'd build himself.. I'd still like to get ahold of a couple of his old cars and rebuild them for him... Anyway, thanks for the beautiful stories... I gotta ask, how do you display the boat now? It looks like something that would be in the white house or Smithsonian under a glass case or something like that. Too cool.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »
Cheers JR for such a great reply.

This is quite an old post, so I apologise it's taken a while for me to respond. In answer to your question, the boat currently takes pride of place in my kids playroom on a top shelf (above all of the SW stuff)... Now that the weather is getting warmer she'll be going out on her voyages at the local boating lake, where she is a firm favourite with all of the model boat enthusiasts.

My father would be very happy if he knew that his old boat was still in use...As we get older legacy is such a wonderful thing....