Author Topic: Revell snap-tite ARC-170 Star fighter kit#1855  (Read 8584 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Revell snap-tite ARC-170 Star fighter kit#1855
« on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
I thought it might be a good idea to give the Yarders a place where they could read and post reviews of SW  model kits. If you are pleased or unhappy about aspects of your SW kit, this would be a good place to post about it to save someone else the trouble or to inspire them to purchase.

I had some extra time today, so I decided to break out this model kit that I had bought at a Target, not too long ago.

This is a review of the Revell ARC-170 Star fighter kit#1855

the scale is not listed but looks around 1/72nd scale judging by the size of the figures. Ship measures 8 7/16 inches in length.
This is a snap-tight kit which is not my normal fare but I thought building an ARC-170 might be kind of fun so I figured, "what the heck"
 The kit contains 36 pre-painted pieces of styrene plastic that is molded in light grey and clear on several sprue frames.
Upon opening the kit, the sprue frames are nicely wrapped in plastic as are the three soft plastic pilot figures.
The parts are nicely molded with out flash or sink holes and for the most part, are mounted to the sprue in places where the paint wont get marred while removing the parts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:07:29 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Star Wars model kit and toy reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
Assembly instructions are fairly straightforward and easy to follow, that is, when the cat isn't wallering all over them.
  I used a pair of sprue cutters to remove the parts and a sharp hobby knife to clean up the connection points. For a stickler like me, some touchup may be required to the painted areas where the connection points to the sprue and cleanup of those points show the base color of the styrene. The black and dark bronze parts got touched up with flat black and the red parts will be touched up later.  For the most part, the parts fit clean and snug and were marked well with the exception of part #27 which is easy enough to find. some care and thought must be taken during step 2 while snapping the bottom of the fuelsulage into the top as the instructions do not direct you to snap the back end in first.
  Assembly went fairly quickly and only took about an hour including the cleanup of the parts and the touch up of the black parts.
  The complete model is pleasing to the eye and features retractable swing-open wings and swivling rear-gunner turrets.
  The only things that this model is lacking are an astromech droid, and some kind of in-flight stand for display or some kind of landing gear.
I am pleased with this kit and may have to pick up the snap-tight atrt kit from the same line.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:41:53 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »
4 more shots of the finished kit.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
looks great to me. I tell you CH, you are getting good at the photos guy! I love seeing this stuff. Thanks for adding it. I know of a few models I want to find when I get all my non TESB stuff taken care of!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
looks great to me. I tell you CH, you are getting good at the photos guy! I love seeing this stuff. Thanks for adding it. I know of a few models I want to find when I get all my non TESB stuff taken care of!
Thanks, buddy! I wasnt sure if this was the right place to put this thread as I meant for it to be a review section of not just Hasbro or Model SW stuff . Perhaps we can move it later.
  Now, I know that you gotta have a couple of walker model kits around your house, at least.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
Really nice review! It seems the Fighter is close to Action Fleet size! :)
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
Really nice review! It seems the Fighter is close to Action Fleet size! :)
Thanks, Serg!! Yeah, I believe that you are right in the scale. The figures that came with this kit are pretty close to the action fleet figs.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Star Wars model kit reviews
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
I have changed this thread to be just SW kit reviews. I figure we can make another one for reviewing toys.
  If you yarders have some pics you want to post of your completed kits, this would be as good of place as any.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:08:19 AM by Clonehead »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: Revell snap-tite ARC-170 Star fighter kit#1855
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »
I have this kit.  It is VERY close to action fleet scale.  The wingspan makes it look a bit too large when setting next to the drasticly messed with af stuff but as far as scaled to the micromachines figures it's perfect. 

my only problem with this kit was where the parts came off the mold the paint isn't there and it's very noticable. I feel like it would have been better if it was left unpainted and you could paint it yourself... of course these arn't being marketed to us customizers either...

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »
awesome, I also collect the easy kits from Revell.

The only thing I don't like is that some of them have no stand.

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
Ditto to all of the comments. The Arc fighter has definately grown on me, it's a classic design and I really want that mode now I've seen yours!

Offline RedLeaderOne (00fire501)

• Star Wars YouTuber
  • Commander
  • I Love Talking Star Wars
    • Star Wars RedLeaderOne YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
This ship looks great.